Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Maine has too many moose. They come out into the roads to lick salt and are hit by motorists. Many Maine drivers are killed by jaywalking moose every year. Those who survive these crashes are usually badly injured. A moose is like a black angus on stilts. They hit your windshield.

If you see headlights coming toward you and they suddenly blink rapidly, hit the brakes! Those are moose legs passing in front of the headlights. They travel in groups. Moose calves are often as tall as the cow, just lighter in weight. This tidbit of information could save your life.
I know, right? Why can't the moose heed the Moose Crossing signs like everyone else? They deserve to die a miserable death for jaywalking!

(the moose was here before the road was here, hello)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
I know, right? Why can't the moose heed the Moose Crossing signs like everyone else? They deserve to die a miserable death for jaywalking!

(the moose was here before the road was here, hello)
The roads I travel are a lot older than the moose who are walking around now.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,450,604 times
I did a search for Moose population figures for the Province of Ontario, and found that the last census reported the population at about 110,000 Moose, in 2011. That is a stable number, compared to the last 10 years of surveys.

In the southern part of Ontario, the best hunting reports, based on hunter tag returns, were in the Parry Sound and northern Muskoka lakes areas. In the far north, the Thunder Bay, Red Lake and Algoma regions had the best results for bull moose hunters. By the way, Parry Sound district is ONLY about a three hour drive north of Toronto, the largest city in Canada. Toronto is only a 90 mile drive from Buffalo New York.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, the moose population is huge, at about 150,000 animals. Remember that Moose are NOT native to the island of Newfoundland. They were brought in to the island in 1904, as a experiment. Now they are a real traffic hazard, to drivers, at dusk and dawn, and every year a number of Newfoundlanders are killed in car/or truck versus moose accidents.

The total moose population in Canada is estimated at one million animals, in 2010.

Seems that the moose populations in Canada are large and healthy.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Clearly we need to hire someone who is a moose-whisperer, who can then teach the moose to read moose-crossing signs.

Then the moose will know that they can only cross roads at designated moose-crossings.

btw, I love watching how calves may want to run alongside or pace an automobile. A calf paced me once

Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The roads I travel are a lot older than the moose who are walking around now.
I am talking about "the moose" as a species.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:42 PM

151 posts, read 199,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I did a search for Moose population figures for the Province of Ontario, and found that the last census reported the population at about 110,000 Moose, in 2011. That is a stable number, compared to the last 10 years of surveys.

In the southern part of Ontario, the best hunting reports, based on hunter tag returns, were in the Parry Sound and northern Muskoka lakes areas. In the far north, the Thunder Bay, Red Lake and Algoma regions had the best results for bull moose hunters. By the way, Parry Sound district is ONLY about a three hour drive north of Toronto, the largest city in Canada. Toronto is only a 90 mile drive from Buffalo New York.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, the moose population is huge, at about 150,000 animals. Remember that Moose are NOT native to the island of Newfoundland. They were brought in to the island in 1904, as a experiment. Now they are a real traffic hazard, to drivers, at dusk and dawn, and every year a number of Newfoundlanders are killed in car/or truck versus moose accidents.

The total moose population in Canada is estimated at one million animals, in 2010.

Seems that the moose populations in Canada are large and healthy.

Jim B

Toronto.
The Moose have been eradicated in Nova Scotia when white tailed deer (rats with hooves) were introduced, the deer carried a disease that eradicated the Moose, there are Moose in Cape Breton
and we are left with thousands of the vermin white tails, they also have a bounty on coyotes here
which helps improve the deer population, I have 7 white tails in my back yard and I can do nothing as they are protected here, people think they are cute. Must go to Maine and see some Mooses (Moosii)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine