Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:57 PM

387 posts, read 607,774 times

Advertisements

...The only thing I don't like about living where we live is being holed up in the house for 5 and a half months during the winter months, especially since I'm unemployed at the moment and can't seem to find a job I'd like to do...

But that's about it as far as not liking the change of season. Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming - my top two favorite holidays - and then there are sometimes absolutely gorgeous mornings with the hoarfrost on the trees, and sometimes it sticks around for weeks.

wow...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 01:10 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
No reason to be holed up in the house all winter. Never was as a kid, haven't been as an adult either. While I don't particularly like winter, I have come to terms with it. Snowshoe, sled with the kids, used to downhill ski; there are things to do and plenty of ways to keep warm. Work outside in the crappy weather most of the winter, and if I can work outside in WAY below zero weather, I figure I can play outside in below zero weather.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
You're missing half of Maine's charm and fun by holing up! Get out and enjoy!

Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No reason to be holed up in the house all winter. Never was as a kid, haven't been as an adult either. While I don't particularly like winter, I have come to terms with it. Snowshoe, sled with the kids, used to downhill ski; there are things to do and plenty of ways to keep warm. Work outside in the crappy weather most of the winter, and if I can work outside in WAY below zero weather, I figure I can play outside in below zero weather.
I agree! I have never snowshoed but want to take up cross country skiing again... and I love taking photos in the snow as much as any other time of the year, which means long walks!

Besides, once I start moving my northern-adapted body warms me up just fine... only problem is when I come IN again if the house is too hot... or I visit a friend who thinks it needs to be 80 degrees inside in the winter! LOL Then I feel like I am in a sauna and should dress (or un-...) appropriately <g>

I suppose in ME I will eventually have to roll up the windows on the truck eh? I mostly don't down here unless it rains in on me, too much...

Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
You better roll up those windows in the truck or you'll get about a bushel of mixed salt, sand and slush down your neck! I got home from work one day many years ago and my wife's car was in the driveway. Nobody home, so I looked at the tracks. There were three sets of snowshoe tracks going down into the woods.. I strapped on my 56 inch pickerel snowshoes and followed along. Wife and two boys were out on a point on the lake watching the sunset. They had a campfire going and had made hot chocolate. They were roasting marshmallows and they had a cup for me in case I came along. The boys had made the fire. It's important to know how to build a fire when there is over 2 feet of snow on the ground. There is always something to do in winter.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:44 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Big snowball fight with the neighbors, building snow forts to hide behind, building snowmen, taking brisk walks in the bright, cold sunshine. All three of my neighbors and ourselves are all in our 60's and we can sure do an old fashioned snowball fight. Loser gets to make the hot chocolate with of course a little brandy to warm up our insides.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:02 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
I'll take a long walk in the winter anytime over a hot,sweaty walk in the summer heat. Winter is beautiful in ME. Get out and enjoy!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:04 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,810 times
Default right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
to you AND maine writer.

My best friend is in canada. She says the same thing: feels stuck indoors. She's more a girly-girl than me so --- but I don't think I'm going to be holed up EITHER. We can't WAIT.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Cool Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
You better roll up those windows in the truck or you'll get about a bushel of mixed salt, sand and slush down your neck! I got home from work one day many years ago and my wife's car was in the driveway. Nobody home, so I looked at the tracks. There were three sets of snowshoe tracks going down into the woods.. I strapped on my 56 inch pickerel snowshoes and followed along. Wife and two boys were out on a point on the lake watching the sunset. They had a campfire going and had made hot chocolate. They were roasting marshmallows and they had a cup for me in case I came along. The boys had made the fire. It's important to know how to build a fire when there is over 2 feet of snow on the ground. There is always something to do in winter.
That's a really cool story. Give your wife a hug from me. I can't WAIT to get my own snowshoes. That's how my best friend gets to work EVERY day in the winter. yippeeee (unless there's a blizzard)

Old 10-23-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Big snowball fight with the neighbors, building snow forts to hide behind, building snowmen, taking brisk walks in the bright, cold sunshine. All three of my neighbors and ourselves are all in our 60's and we can sure do an old fashioned snowball fight. Loser gets to make the hot chocolate with of course a little brandy to warm up our insides.
FUN !!!!

Good neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine