Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,719,353 times

Advertisements

I took a relocation test and Hickory NC was my #1 choice. It spurred an 18month research into the hickory, Charlotte area. During that time I helped my friends parents try and relocate here to Maine from NC(I had my real estate license). Though they didn't come from the hickory area I was able to get a decent idea of what to expect (from a new englander's point of view). I had spent some time in Va and like the south.

Anyways after 10 months of them living with their son and me driving them from Augusta to South Portland looking at homes they decided not to move to Maine. Ultimately it was for the same reasons I was interested in leaving. Taxes, Taxes, and They could not find "decent" affordable housing. Though I never made the trip to NC I was really impressed with what I could afford down there and then what my property taxes would be.

So much to go into and can debate about but I really learned during that time frame to be really specific about what you need vs what you want. Right now I have young children...they are safe here in Maine, are getting a decent education, and all my living expenses are being paid. It is the high crime, urban sprawl of the south that kept me from taking that giant leep. And while things here stay stagnant (in every way) I had a big fear that once I got down there things would only get worse. So no matter where you go you have to be specific about what it is you want. Being retired you might enjoy moving around and just enjoying the different areas of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:04 PM

44 posts, read 93,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Hi Kenowheregirl!

You're not in Kenosha, are ya? We lived in Trevor, Paddock Lake and then Elkhorn. My sister works at Jockey in Kenosha. Mom lives in Burlington. If you are in K-Town, have a brat and beer at the Bratstop for me!
Ha! I know; my SN totally gives it away. We enjoy the Brat Stop immensely(not as often as I'd like!!) Now, are you in Maine yet, or hoping to make the move soon?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:31 AM

411 posts, read 898,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YANKEEATHEART View Post
ARE YOU HAPPY WITH YOUR MOVE OR DO YOU WISH YOU WERE BACK THE TAR HEEL STATE? WE ARE CONSIDERING MAINE FOR RETIREMENT.GET WAY
FROM THE HEAT, TRAFFIC, DIRTY LAKES, WATER RESTRICTION, JUST TO
MENTION A FEW.
A different perspective here... We lived in CT most of our lives. Then decided to make a move somewhere that we would like to settle for life, although we were both very young yet. I have family in NC, and hubby's family vacations there every year. However, 2 entirely different areas. My family is from the Boone area, very western mountains. My hubby's family vacations on the Outer Banks. We seriously considered NC. The mountain area. We did love how it reminds us of New England, my grandmother on a mountain top does see some changing of seasons, they do get snow, etc.... but overall it was just more "city" in most of that area, heck, most of the state from what we saw. It seemed that there would be some country areas, but just too close to dirty cities for us. Even the Boone area... very nice country, up in the mountains, but just below is Boone. Well, I won't go there. It's also just full of traffic, mostly Floridians. And yes, the water is polluted in places. We decided on Maine because we could have country, and land, and yet not have to travel more than 45 minutes to town. But town was clearly marked, a real "city" area... yet a clean city area. The waterways weren't polluted (at least had been cleaned up) not nearly the traffic, we get all 4 seasons for real, and our snow sticks around. yes, those things can be considered bad as well, but we love them. Overall I'd say that we saw NC moving in a direction that most would consider "forward" while we considered it "backward" in terms of it's future, while Maine was the opposite. I guess it depends on what you want. Are you looking for country, friendly people, wildlife, and a place that will likely never be completely tamed, or are you looking for a place that will get progressively more citified as time goes on? Maine just seems to offer it all.....

Old 11-03-2007, 09:39 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenowheregirl View Post
Ha! I know; my SN totally gives it away. We enjoy the Brat Stop immensely(not as often as I'd like!!) Now, are you in Maine yet, or hoping to make the move soon?
We're not in Maine yet. Working on it really hard though! The main reason we left WI was to move to Maine. Unfortunately we had a to make a few detours, but we'll get there as soon as we can. Are you planning on moving there?

Old 11-03-2007, 05:32 PM

276 posts, read 792,906 times
Western NC (west of Asheville) is beautiful, but eastern KY still has more room. I love Maine also. Hey, if you want humidity, crime, gangs, sprawl, and flat land come to the wonderful flat lands of FL. Yes, NC is loaded with transplanted Floridians attempting to escape this hell hole swamp. Likewise, MT, ID and WA are loaded with transplanted Californians (where I lived for over 20 yrs) trying to escape crime, gangs, sprawl and over priced housing. It's really sad. Everyone is being forced into little corners of the nation in order to find some sense of peace and tranquility. I wish for all of you on this forum that are searching for a suitable place that you find the happiness you are looking for in life. I have yet to find mine, but I am still looking in earnest. It's called the "squeeze play" as one attempts to find a little corner of tranquility!!!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:28 PM

44 posts, read 93,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
We're not in Maine yet. Working on it really hard though! The main reason we left WI was to move to Maine. Unfortunately we had a to make a few detours, but we'll get there as soon as we can. Are you planning on moving there?
Well, we're a bit in limbo right now as well. Waiting for DH to finish his MBA(only 6 more weeks-hurray!), and then we need to wait and see what his current company is going to do. So, we're not exactly planning on making a move yet, but DH has been kind enough to give me permission to research Maine to my heart's content. We spent a week of our honeymoon in Maine, and aside from getting lost about 50 times in Portland, we loved it! We're not afraid of the winter(as you know), but we want to have a job secured before we take the plunge, which can be a long and very difficult process. I see this process taking at least a couple years-you know how slow these things can move! Where are you on your timetable in making the move to the lovely state of Maine?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 PM

168 posts, read 1,212,139 times
I live in NC and used to live in Maine. I think it's SUCH a personal decision, and they are so different that if it's possible I would highly recommend renting in ME for a full year before buying there so you can be sure it's for you.

My parents retired to ME and LOVE it. They love cold weather, and they really love Maine. They also travel alot, so they aren't there 365 a year.

We moved to Maine and HATED it. I love spending some time there in summer and fall, which I've done since I was a kid, but I realized it was a mistake for us very early on. The black flies and deer flies drove me absolutely up a wall. I felt housebound in June with the black flies, and could not believe how badly they would bite. People out mowing their lawns all wearing nets on their heads. My mother gardening with her socks tucked into her trousers, collar up, trying to keep black flies at bay. She has no problem with it. It was AWFUL for me.

I also had the opposite experience of others on here. I really don't love cold weather. I don't mind some cold weather, but by April, I need spring to be on the way and for 2 of the years we were in Maine it was pretty darned cold WELL into June.

Yes, NC is hot and humid, but I much prefer hot.

I could go on, but won't!

People in Maine were wonderful, I LOVED the slow lifestyle, the way nature is just a part of life. I loved 6 months of the year, but hated the other 6 and that's just no way to live. I still love visiting, but it's not for me year-round.

But...as I said in the beginning, it's such a personal choice. People tend to love it or hate it and I really don't think you can say which camp you fall into until you've lived through all the seasons at least once. It may be perfect for you--but if you could wait to buy until you are sure, that seems like a prudent course.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:47 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenowheregirl View Post
Well, we're a bit in limbo right now as well. Waiting for DH to finish his MBA(only 6 more weeks-hurray!), and then we need to wait and see what his current company is going to do. So, we're not exactly planning on making a move yet, but DH has been kind enough to give me permission to research Maine to my heart's content. We spent a week of our honeymoon in Maine, and aside from getting lost about 50 times in Portland, we loved it! We're not afraid of the winter(as you know), but we want to have a job secured before we take the plunge, which can be a long and very difficult process. I see this process taking at least a couple years-you know how slow these things can move! Where are you on your timetable in making the move to the lovely state of Maine?
Hey Keno!

I sent you a PM, since we're off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine