Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 07:39 PM

74 posts, read 151,785 times

Advertisements

My wife and I decided that we would like to celebrate our 20th with a visit to Maine. Never been and coming from Florida. She loves lobster!. Need some info on where to go and what to see. Looking for a nice B&B near the coast. Want to soak in as much Maine as we can. Will be early September. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM

476 posts, read 748,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circleg View Post
My wife and I decided that we would like to celebrate our 20th with a visit to Maine. Never been and coming from Florida. She loves lobster!. Need some info on where to go and what to see. Looking for a nice B&B near the coast. Want to soak in as much Maine as we can. Will be early September. Thanks in advance.
Whoo Hoo! Happy Anniversary!
How long will you be in Maine?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:40 PM

a week minimum hope at least two

Old 03-05-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
a week minimum hope at least two
Your 20th is a Big One… shoot for two weeks!
Early Sept ought to be a deluxe time to visit. I'll let others with greater experience recommend B&Bs. Try and do a lot of exploring, including going inland as well. The coast is terrific, but there are so many wonderful areas inland as well.
For pure vacation goodness, I'd see about spending some time in the MidCoast region, poking around up and down some of the peninsulas. I think you may want to check out Boothbay harbor, then hit the Rockland / Camden area. Don't miss checking out the Pemaquid peninsula/lighthouse. If you can, swing up and around and visit Castine / Stonington. Of course, Acadia National Park is super.

For a great overview of some of Maine, you can watch this particular episode of Smithsonian's "Arial America":

Aerial America | Maine - Smithsonian Channel

If you use iTunes, you can download the episode from inside of that app.

It showcases some of the highlights of Maine. Its all shot from the air, and the scenery will leave you speechless.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
I agree with the OP that September is a great time to be here- warm days and most of the tourists have headed home - those with school age kids anyway. Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor area is a nice place with great restaurants and some B & B's too. I can recommend one called Thistles that has a wonderful restaurant even if you stay somewhere else. While in Boothbay be sure to take in our wonderful Maine Botanical Gardens right on the coast. It has only been up and running since 2007 but is a must see. There are a variety of boat tours to pick from in the Boothbay area too. I know you will love our state.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I agree with the OP that September is a great time to be here- warm days and most of the tourists have headed home - those with school age kids anyway. Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor area is a nice place with great restaurants and some B & B's too. I can recommend one called Thistles that has a wonderful restaurant even if you stay somewhere else. While in Boothbay be sure to take in our wonderful Maine Botanical Gardens right on the coast. It has only been up and running since 2007 but is a must see. There are a variety of boat tours to pick from in the Boothbay area too. I know you will love our state.
Boothbay & Boothbay Harbor are terrific! There is a neat Irish Pub in Boothbay Harbor called Under Currach Tavern. Certain nights of the week they feature live music by some local players doing very cool Irish folk tunes. Pretty fun!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 PM

7,080 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Want to soak in as much Maine as we can.
Best thing to do is go up US 1 and hit every town you can from Kittery to Eastport and try to be there for the pirate festival.

Eastport Pirate Festival
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I agree with the OP that September is a great time to be here- warm days and most of the tourists have headed home.
I always liked going up in September just because most of the tourons are gone, last trip was in August and we went to Acadia/Bar Harbor and it was way too crowded.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,526 times
Agree about September. It's a great time to visit.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:19 PM

I would really like to see the potato harvest in full swing, I hear allot about it. Does this occur during this time of year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine