U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 12:15 PM

361 posts, read 875,683 times

Advertisements

Are there any Community Colleges or Vocational Schools in Maine that offer night programs? Are there ANY training programs at night in the entire state AT ALL?

Anything after like 5PM would be good - I'm working during the day and want to go to trade school at night so I can collect my GI Bill Benefits as well. I'm having trouble finding anything - it's wierd how the Maine community college system is supposed to be geared towards working class people and yet the 95% of people who work during the hours of 9-to-5 PM are prevented from getting a degree by default. Then again, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Any help here would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 01:58 PM

6,314 posts, read 12,302,429 times
Have you called any of the colleges? They can tell you what they offer. If they don't have what you're looking for they might be able to refer you to the campus you need. Online classes might be helpful.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:12 PM

361 posts, read 875,683 times
Can you do something like pipefitting online though? I'm talking like trade school stuff here...

Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 PM

3,386 posts, read 6,498,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
Can you do something like pipefitting online though? I'm talking like trade school stuff here...
To get a degree, there's a lot of fluff courses that you could probably do on-line. Hands on stuff, would require you to actually be there when they offer it. Been there, done that...

Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM

6,314 posts, read 12,302,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
It might be possible for some of the classes. It's worth asking about when you talk to a school. Online classes made/make it a lot easier for me.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:54 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,346,863 times
Have you looked at the college catalogs and course schedules? Here are links to the seven community colleges.

https://cmconnect.cmcc.edu/ICS/Students/

Programs of Study | Eastern Maine Community College

Academic Programs

NMCC - Trade & Technical Dept

Academic Departments

Programs of Study at WCCC

York County Community College > Future Students > Admissions > Course Catalog

Old 03-21-2013, 08:08 AM

276 posts, read 794,390 times
I saw on tv that Beal College is going to be offering a Welding Technology degree. They aklso offer criminal justice stuff. My sister in law goes to Beal and is working on a different degree but they offer night classes for her.

Beal College

Old 03-21-2013, 08:58 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,797,800 times
Night and online courses are becoming very common in both the community college and University of Maine systems. Contact the schools closest to you to find out what's available.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:36 PM

10,264 posts, read 16,735,270 times
As you go south on Rt 95 near Waterville you'll see a bunch of power poles on the east side of the road. Working as a lineman must be taught in the daytime. Night work in the wind and rain comes later. Aside from that, there are numerous night courses in Maine and there is also excellent training in the Army Reserve and National Guard.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:16 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,346,863 times
Here's an idea. Try to enter an apprenticeship program (not unheard of) where you can get paid and learn the trade. I know a couple of guys who have apprenticed to learn other trades. At some point you should know enough to pass a test and be fully qualified. If you want to collect $ (your GI Bill benefits) by taking college classes, you could find a program/classes to enroll in. One downside I can see to this brilliant idea of apprenticeship is this: The pipe fitters I know have had to travel in order to work sometimes living away from home Monday-Friday and maybe going home weekends (so much for going to class at night unless the courses are online). After years of steady work, one of them hasn't worked in over a year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine