Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM

393 posts, read 982,051 times

Advertisements

Sticky-fingered thieves target sap in Maine apparently for home use | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
how low can ya get..............

Old 04-04-2013, 08:27 PM

565 posts, read 935,249 times
drove past a crazy setup of tubes in the woods going into a 55 gallon drum a few weeks ago on 126 in whitefield or jefferson, now i wonder if it was legit

Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
drove past a crazy setup of tubes in the woods going into a 55 gallon drum a few weeks ago on 126 in whitefield or jefferson, now i wonder if it was legit

If you could see it from the road it was most likely legal, collecting sap has gone way beyond single buckets on individual trees. long networks of tube will stretch far and wide and collect sap from many trees and bring it into a single container either a 55 gal drum or 275 gal totes.

bill

Old 04-06-2013, 06:27 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
If you could see it from the road it was most likely legal, collecting sap has gone way beyond single buckets on individual trees. long networks of tube will stretch far and wide and collect sap from many trees and bring it into a single container either a 55 gal drum or 275 gal totes.

bill
Friends of ours expanded their business last year. The only buckets they have now are in front of their homes. A lot has changed over the years.

Runs through tubing.

Holds here in stainless steel tanks.

Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
When I was a kid back in the 1940's (in N Hatley Quebec) Dad used to tap the maple trees around our house and down the street where he had permission....in front of the library etc)....it was a very small home operation. I used to go out with him to collect the sap from the buckets on the trees. Mom boiled it down on the wood stove in the house. Sometimes he would say someone had been stealing our sap. I guess the sap is sweet enough that school boys would drink it.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:18 PM

16 posts, read 22,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
When I was a kid back in the 1940's (in N Hatley Quebec) Dad used to tap the maple trees around our house and down the street where he had permission....in front of the library etc)....it was a very small home operation. I used to go out with him to collect the sap from the buckets on the trees. Mom boiled it down on the wood stove in the house. Sometimes he would say someone had been stealing our sap. I guess the sap is sweet enough that school boys would drink it.
You bet it's sweet

As kids in the early 70's we "stole" a few sips on occasion from my uncle's operation. It was already tubed even back then and most of the tapped trees were on a hillside with tubes leading to a locked collection hut, actually a garage with a trailer-mounted tank inside. Early tubes were soft rubber like a garden hose, not PVC like today. They were easily damaged so wild animals and dogs were a big concern to my uncle, deer fences only go so far and even an animal as small as a fox could damage or disconnect tubes. This was just a hobby to him and he didn't have time to monitor the tubes every day in season so he hired his son (my cousin) and me to survey the tubes and repair or report any damage.

This required all but 10-15 minutes a day and earned us $5 each per week. Even though that was plenty of pocket money for a 9-year-old in 1972, this was administered by parents to avoid us making unwise investments such as the purchase of 50 bags of potato chips. Being denied free access to this 'trust fund' we decided we were entitled to compensate ourselves by diverting small amounts of sap into paper cups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine