Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 12,978 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some help/advice /direction;
Currently I/We are:
Live in Palm Beach, FL.
Married with a 4 month old baby girl.
Licensed as an Art Teacher.
Own a small food business.
Have worked in the export business.
Wife is a white collar professional in the food industry.
We both have advanced college degrees.
We are in our late 30's
Have lived in South Portland 2006 and Bath 2008; for 1 year each.

I/We are looking for:
Good schools.
Like small town, neighborhood community feel or trendy, "artsy" places.
Want variety of cusine/restaurants.
Nice family community with events around the holidays like Christmas etc...
Like the outdoors Kayaking, cycling, fishing, clamming etc.
We have 3 dogs.

We are preparing to sell or rent our house in Florida and move to Maine to raise our family. We do not want to raise our daughter in Florida. We are trying to decide where to go based on our ability to find jobs. I do not want to go back into teaching (however I will apply for reciprocity to get my teaching license in Maine if I have to but Art teacher jobs are hard to come by and it's not what I want to do...). We have narrowed down the options to Rockland, Belfast and Portland area...open to suggestions though. We are willing to rent for a while but we have set our initial investment budget to buy at around 200K.
We are also open to career changes and new job training.
We are looking for quality of life and the best, safest environment we can find to raise our daughter.
Thank you for any advice in advance.

Last edited by RH009; 04-07-2013 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Fix something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 09:18 PM

506 posts, read 678,096 times
1. Belfast
2. Rockland
3. Portland

Old 04-08-2013, 05:16 PM

37,189 posts, read 60,850,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH009 View Post
... We do not want to raise our daughter in Florida.
I do not blame you.

Quote:
... We are trying to decide where to go based on our ability to find jobs. I do not want to go back into teaching (however I will apply for reciprocity to get my teaching license in Maine if I have to but Art teacher jobs are hard to come by and it's not what I want to do...).
Career is always a good first thing to base a move on.

Quote:
... We have narrowed down the options to Rockland, Belfast and Portland area
Sounds about right to me.

Though I would say Belfast above Rockland.

Quote:
... We are looking for quality of life and the best, safest environment we can find to raise our daughter. Thank you for any advice in advance.
Than Maine is your focus.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:44 PM

I dont mean to throw a wrench in the works, however would any of the smaller town inland towns offer as much for a family as the coastal ones. We have heard great things about Dover-Foxcroft and Old Towne, can we "find what we are looking for" in either of these towns??? Thanks

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM

37,189 posts, read 60,850,413 times
Quote:
I dont mean to throw a wrench in the works, however would any of the smaller town inland towns offer as much for a family as the coastal ones. We have heard great things about Dover-Foxcroft and Old Towne, can we "find what we are looking for" in either of these towns??? Thanks
Coastal towns tend to load-up with tourists. Inland does not. Maine's primary industry is tourism. So that is the economy.

You mentioned: being an 'Art Teacher', "artsy" places, variety of cuisine / restaurants, jobs; which all screams the coast and specifically Belfast, Rockand and Portland.

You also said: Good schools, small towns, family communities, quality of life, a safe environment to raise a daughter, and outdoor activities like Kayaking, cycling, fishing, clamming etc. These are all found through-out Maine. [though I think more inland than along the coast, simply because the coast has a lot of tourists]

Also keep in mind that just like everywhere else on the planet; high paying jobs, mean higher cost-of-living, more municipal services and higher taxes. Conversely lower paying jobs are in lower cost-of-living towns, with less municipal services and less taxes.

When you say 'offering' things to a family. Do you mean offering municipal services? Which translates that you are asking for higher taxes? Or are you asking for 'offering' things that are not tax-payer funded? Some people love higher taxes, some do not.

Tourist areas also offer more traffic congestion in the summer. For some people that is a concern.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM

America was founded by rugged (entrepreneurial) people looking for a better life. I am just as rugged maybe more so than the next guy and not much of a yuppie, unless you consider the entrepreneurial , independent spirit that fosters success a yuppie. I'm not from Florida originally either and like you I would like to keep Maine as much of a secret as possible. However living in the real world and basing my future on past lessons learned I love Maine and want the best for my family. Maine was recently ranked the oldest state in the nation, over Florida..as much as you despise people coming to Maine it is a necessary evil and with the right balance and the independent rugged migrants who take the chance can be a welcome and positive asset to the future of Maine. I respect your opinion, think its misguided and emotional, I'm not coming to Maine to impose anything on anyone other than to put down roots and raise my family.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:59 AM

506 posts, read 678,096 times
Quote:
America was founded by rugged (entrepreneurial) people looking for a better life. I am just as rugged maybe more so than the next guy and not much of a yuppie, unless you consider the entrepreneurial , independent spirit that fosters success a yuppie.
Amen! People like the d-bag that you responded to are the ones with 25 rusting cars in their yard.......and their regular job is a 12 pack and a television.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:10 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,850,137 times
Let's not turn this into a pi$$ing contest with stereotypical derogatory comments. My parents taught me to respect older people and I would urge others to do the same. Everyone who lives long enough will be older someday. On the other hand, all people from away don't want to change Maine or at first don't think they want to change Maine. However, there are too many who think Maine is wonderful until they actually move and once they arrive, they start coming up with ways things should be changed--in their minds, ways to "improve" things. Some forget why they moved to Maine. Ironically, the changes often are things that would make Maine more like where they came from....the very things they were trying to get away from. I think it's important for people from away to understand why native Mainers often have a negative attitude toward those from away.

There are lots of young people who grow up in Maine who leave for job opportunities. Most eventually return one way or another. There are plenty of native Mainer younger people (college educated and not) who would like to find jobs in their home state. Some of them are entrepreneurial and start businesses. Some work two or three jobs just to survive. I do not believe that the future of Maine is dependent on people from away.

Someone posted recently that Maine needs more people, then someone said Maine needs more quality people. I don't think Maine "NEEDS" more people quality or otherwise. I remember when Maine had fewer than a million people. That was fine with me. I think if you live in Maine and think Maine needs more people than you haven't fully adopted the Maine way of life.

I've visited both West Palm Beach and Palm Beach, FL. It would seem if the OP can afford to live in Palm Beach, he probably has enough $ to survive in Maine for awhile without a job. You write that you want finding a job to guide you. Since your daughter is only 4 months old, you've got plenty of time. A "career change" could mean working at Walmart if no one else is hiring. small food business? unless it is totally online, seems you would need the summer tourists $ and has previously been stated--think coastal for that. Unless your advanced degrees are in fields marketable in Maine (in demand), they won't mean much....something in the social services field would be a positive for finding work. Art teacher? You're right that jobs are hard to come by and anyway, that's not really what you want to do....probably have a better chance of finding work as an ed tech (average $12/hr.) food industry? not sure if you mean grocery stores or restaurants or something else? work on the docks in Portland in the fishing "food" industry? apply at Hannaford or Shaws? Maine really isn't a "white collar professional" kind of place.

To the OP: Your questions and criteria appear quite frequently. Try searching CD with some of your key words. You should find lots of info. Also, you could start your job search at maine.gov and see what types of job are available. Then you would know if you are qualified or overqualified for any of them.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 04-09-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. People who decide to make the move to Maine to settle down are probably seeking something better than what they have...and (even though we have lived in Maine for a total of 2 years in the past) starting here and seeking the input from others who do know better and can offer a unique perspective on the "personality" and character of Maine is a real asset, that would otherwise be difficult to find on your own.
I will take advantage of the search feature and cant wait to get back to Maine. Thanks again.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:47 PM

19,950 posts, read 29,953,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
1. Belfast
2. Rockland
3. Portland
good choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine