Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times

Advertisements

My heart was in my throat for at least an hour and a half til we discovered our grand daughter was safe. She had passed by this area shortly before it happend on her way to the Northeastern University student center. Cell towers were shut down so she was finally able to make contact with family members through internet site and Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
Glad she's okay, Newdaawn! I can't even imagine your fear.

My sons are 12 and 13. Part of me hopes that they will want to go away to college, to experience living in a big city, like I did. I'm happy that I don't live there anymore, but I'm glad that I had the experience.

Recently, I've had mixed feelings though. Cities feel so dangerous and claustrophobic to me now. Some of this is obviously because I'm older and not as naive, but a lot of these feelings cropped up after 9/11.

It's not just that cities are targets, it's also because it's more difficult to flee if there's a tragedy.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Glad she's okay, Newdaawn! I can't even imagine your fear.

My sons are 12 and 13. Part of me hopes that they will want to go away to college, to experience living in a big city, like I did. I'm happy that I don't live there anymore, but I'm glad that I had the experience.

Recently, I've had mixed feelings though. Cities feel so dangerous and claustrophobic to me now. Some of this is obviously because I'm older and not as naive, but a lot of these feelings cropped up after 9/11.

It's not just that cities are targets, it's also because it's more difficult to flee if there's a tragedy.
That's exactly the objective of terrorists be they foreign or domestic.

I'm glad your granddaughter is safe Newdaawn.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:58 PM

625 posts, read 792,100 times
MSNSC has already blamed the NRA for this. So the murders at newtown are blamed on the guns. The bombing at the marathon blamed on the bomber. Is this because bombs are already illegal? Wait if bombs are illegal and we know that making something illegal IE banning it will prevent a criminal from using said item to commit a crime ( cause Omama and all the other liberal leaders say so ) how could this have happened. I am so confused now...

Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
That's exactly the objective of terrorists be they foreign or domestic.
I guess you're right.

Obviously, terrorists aim to kill or wound as many people as possible in one fell swoop, but if they really wanted to put fear in all of us, not just city dwellers, they'd be more random. They'd plant bombs in train stations, malls and airports in smaller towns too. Don't you think?

I feel quite safe up here in rural Maine. Let's hope that never changes.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:30 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Last minute decisions like that are kismet. I'm so thankful she decided not to finish and is okay. You must have been terrified.
I didn't word that well. She is a runner but she wasn't running the marathon. She was going to go to the finish line to watch. This morning she and her fiance are juggling transportation. She takes the car to Cambridge, he takes the bus to the train to downtown Boston. The bus isn't running so he can't get to the train. She was going to take the car back to him and be dropped off at the train, but the train she needs isn't running. I wish they'd come home. I'm a little nervous about spending the weekend there. I hope they kill the second SOB this morning.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:43 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I guess you're right.

Obviously, terrorists aim to kill or wound as many people as possible in one fell swoop, but if they really wanted to put fear in all of us, not just city dwellers, they'd be more random. They'd plant bombs in train stations, malls and airports in smaller towns too. Don't you think?

I feel quite safe up here in rural Maine. Let's hope that never changes.
Yes, the unibomber was a good example of random terrorism, but I think it depends on ego. If the accounts of these two brothers is true, they appear to be "losers" (as one family member put it). They had to know that they'd more than likely be killed once captured, so they'll go out in a blaze of glory. To me it's the ultimate form of cowardly behavior.

It's sad that there seems to be such disregard for life in some people now. It's situations like this that makes the curmudgeon in me want to bring back public hangings.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Nice to see many old friends are still here on CD. I think of you all often. You'll always be my friends!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine