Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:59 PM

30,226 posts, read 23,643,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
How about a "delivery" service to pick up the dog, when it has to be put down

i had to bring my dog in after 14 years, to put her down, it wasnt easy, and i put it off for too long

I would have paid dearly to have my dog picked up-so my last memory of her was at the house- not bringing her to a vet to be incinerated

make up a name "the last walk" delivery service..
That's something I've never thought of. I know that not all people stay with their pets when they are taken to the vet to be put down. I don't know if it would be the sole business but I could definitely add it as a service. I think many people do want to go and hold their pet for the last time but I know some just can't do it. My mom was like that. She was bawling but she couldn't stay in the room with the cat. Hmmm...good idea. I will add that to my brainstorm list.

Only problem I can see with that is that I'm not the pet owner and I don't know if the vets would let me do that. Course, there is taking them to the Humane Society to be put down, as well. Definitely gave me something to think about...that has to be handled gently. I need a really compassionate person to help me figure out how to add that in. (I'm compassionate, but I'm not always good at writing that out.) Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You're welcome. lol I didn't mean drive back and forth to Casco. My suggestion is stay where you are until you've saved enough money to be able to move a lot closer to your next job. Someone has to clean up the horse stalls and feed and brush the horses (seems like it would take a lot of family members)....not sure how many horses would be boarded at the farms that have horse boarders.... The place in Casco looked like a fun place to be. It wouldn't hurt to apply at the lab again--the worst that could happen is nothing. You might be surprised. There's some kind of doggie place--on 1A toward Ellsworth on the right...can't remember the name of it. There's also a night-time emergency vet clinic in Brewer near the high school. Starting your own pet business could be a good idea. It could take a while before you establish yourself and are making enough $ to not have another job.
I guess I could. I think I burnt that bridge though. I was taken on a tour, I was put through a bunch of tests, I took up so much of their time and then what do I do? Take another job. I'm such an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Bangor sure does have a Humane Society and it's a good one. I think the manager's name is Debbie Bell. She sometimes appears on news spots on TV when there are special needs at the Shelter.
Thank you! I will look in to it and see what I can do there, even if it's volunteer work for now, it just might bring back my sanity.

I really, seriously absolutely loathe this job. It's not even worth it with the commute...it really isn't. Plus, I'm still on probation (six months...fricken government), and I had car issues at the beginning so I might not have it much longer anyway!

Edited to add: Fern, I forgot to thank you for the link. I think Lewiston might be too far. I drive 130 miles round trip as it is right now and honestly, that is putting too much on my car. I spent a couple grand getting things all fixed up in the beginning, missed some days because of it, (not good), and I really don't want to have to go through that again. I don't like letting people down. (I put 16,000 miles on my car so far because of this job...no one should be surprised that I might have maintenance issues after awhile but...I think they do.)

Edit again: Yah, it's over 100 miles one way. Too far but again, thank you for the link. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 PM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Over the years, I have known a few people who worked at horse boarding facilities.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Over the years, I have known a few people who worked at horse boarding facilities.
Where? Were they lifers or were they newbies like me? Do you still know them?

Old 04-27-2013, 10:39 AM

37,328 posts, read 61,154,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Where? Were they lifers or were they newbies like me? Do you still know them?
When I was in college [Fresno, Ca], we knew a few college students [in their 20s] who worked as horse trainers. They got room/board and a small stipend.

Later we knew two people doing that in Northern Ca. I think it was mostly OJT, the owner taught them as needed.

I have a neighbor now who has 6 horses. She competes in 'trail-riding' events, etc. They are raising 3 daughters, who keep busy with grooming and training. Two of the daughters have told me that their life-goal is to be vets. They have no need for employees at this time.

I know nothing about the horse community in Maine. I suspect that if you attended some of their events, you could become friends with some of them and ask around.

You could call around to facilities who offer those services, and you might find a position. Though I suspect that such positions are not openly advertised, but instead only offered to friends from within the horse community.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I was in college [Fresno, Ca], we knew a few college students [in their 20s] who worked as horse trainers. They got room/board and a small stipend.

Later we knew two people doing that in Northern Ca. I think it was mostly OJT, the owner taught them as needed.

I have a neighbor now who has 6 horses. She competes in 'trail-riding' events, etc. They are raising 3 daughters, who keep busy with grooming and training. Two of the daughters have told me that their life-goal is to be vets. They have no need for employees at this time.

I know nothing about the horse community in Maine. I suspect that if you attended some of their events, you could become friends with some of them and ask around.

You could call around to facilities who offer those services, and you might find a position. Though I suspect that such positions are not openly advertised, but instead only offered to friends from within the horse community.
Right. Hence the thread. Thank you for the info.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:08 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,874,649 times
Visit "them" in person and offer to work for a certain period of time on a trial basis to give them the option of letting you go if they decide they don't need you, can't afford you, don't like you, etc. Bear in mind that this time of year if you go into a new job, do so with your eyes wide open regarding the summer season and possibility that the job might only last a few months--depends on the job of course.

Might work out, might not--you nevvah know until you ask. I would be concerned about trying to make a living while possibly going through OJT for a new job/career. Maybe it would turn out like some of the movies where they have an extra room where you could live. Either way, I hope things work out for you to your happiness and satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine