Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times

Advertisements

I saw on the news the other day that around 250 lobsterman voted to join the I.A.M. union. They must be very desperate! Having belonged to that union back in the 70's and 80's I know from where I speak. All this is going to accomplish is higher priced lobsters and the lobstermen will be paying out more to the union for dues, etc. Unions have long since outlived their usefulness and as we have all seen, driven many companies to the brink of disaster or had the government bail them out at OUR expense!!
I have a friend that worked for the california university system, retired at 62, at 110% of her salary and full medical benefits for life......any wonder Ca. is going broke??
I have a great deal of respect for lobstermen/women, but sorry folks I think you really messed up this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I see that you've bought into the corporate world's hype to get rid of Unions. it so sad the see this.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Don't think Labor Unions fill an important void?

Then you must not mind that the owners of Walmart get rich while YOU pay for their employee nutrional programs, health care, and social sevices.

Lobstermen have been going broke for the past decade. I don't completely know the reasons (regulation and fuel prices are certainly not helping), but they have to do something to survive. If joining a labor union helps them, then i support that.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Don't think Labor Unions fill an important void?

Then you must not mind that the owners of Walmart get rich while YOU pay for their employee nutrional programs, health care, and social sevices.

Lobstermen have been going broke for the past decade. I don't completely know the reasons (regulation and fuel prices are certainly not helping), but they have to do something to survive. If joining a labor union helps them, then i support that.
Lobstermen are far from going broke. Sure prices have been low for the past few summers, but they haven't bothered to mention that they are catching from 800- 1000 lbs. a day.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
I like when union members slag on their own unions but you never see them turn their noses up at the pensions, the fair work conditions, or benefits that the the union help negotiate...

No doubt there is plenty of non-so-nice stuff unions pull (especially in places like the education system)...

If you don't like unions, you don't have to work in a place that has them. Go find another job. At least that is the argument I get when I criticize the working conditions at Walmart or in the restaurant biz. Just like those people can go find another job, the anti-union worker can too, right?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The establishment of a union presupposes that there is some management or ownership to negotiate with. Where is there any management of the lobster fishing industry other than the individual lobstermen themselves? Most licenses are passed down from generation to generation in the same families.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The establishment of a union presupposes that there is some management or ownership to negotiate with. Where is there any management of the lobster fishing industry other than the individual lobstermen themselves? Most licenses are passed down from generation to generation in the same families.
With buying groups and/or product distributors I guess? I would think a co-op of fisherman would be a more obvious choice.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
With buying groups and/or product distributors I guess? I would think a co-op of fisherman would be a more obvious choice.

They already have co-ops. They are part of the price fixers too. Of course ultimately, it comes down to whatever the market will bear. The middle men are making the lions share of the money.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Lobstermen will not make a decent share of the profit until they eliminate the middleman and retail direct to the public in some fashion. Many small, embattled family farms have manged to survive and even thrive by doing this. I would sooner buy lobster direct from the fisherman than from a grocery or even a lobster pond sometimes.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
Lobstermen will not make a decent share of the profit until they eliminate the middleman and retail direct to the public in some fashion. Many small, embattled family farms have manged to survive and even thrive by doing this. I would sooner buy lobster direct from the fisherman than from a grocery or even a lobster pond sometimes.
You do know that a large portion of a fisherman's income is a cash business...
The co-op are supposed to do this for them, but I know from a previous life, that they help set the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: