Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,814 times

Advertisements

Kudos for you guys who fought hard for this! May other towns throughout the US and the world follow suit!

Yes, this happened end of March but very worth the belated celebration.

Ascension with Mother Earth and Current State of Affairs: First town to declare total food sovereignty, opposing state and federal laws

*Edit* Lol, just reread the article and it is from 2011...wow, am I ever behind. Is the ordinance still in place? How are things working out? Sorry for the stupidity, lol.

Last edited by Alaskan_Adventurer; 05-01-2013 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 01:42 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
The local ordinance is still there, but it has no effect since state law trumps the local stuff. It's basically a bad, feel good law.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 PM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
they were calling Sedgwick a city...........what a hoot!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
pot brownies are now legal???

i like the town of sedgewick,,a few years back i knew a store owner, her name was gretchen....she did a great job with sandwiches

Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
pot brownies are now legal???

i like the town of sedgewick,,a few years back i knew a store owner, her name was gretchen....she did a great job with sandwiches
She and Don had the\at store open for 7 years.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:49 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
I bought a fixer there down by the old blueberry plant. Sure wish I had kept that place!!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:58 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I think I read an article where nine towns of Maine have passed this law.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
It's more a statement than carrying any actual effect (the ordinances). The claim by the Maine Dept. of Agriculture is that foods sold anywhere but at your stand in front of the farm have to be just perfect. They want people to spend tens of thousands on preparation facilities, etc., that are way beyond the production level of small farms. Yet the largest "good" producers put out the most infected foods that cause "nationwide" outbreaks. You got to be reasonably careful, of course, with any bacteria-carrying product like raw milk, fowl, etc. Go to your grocery store, though, and you're buying crap hog-full of antibiotics that are resulting in resistant bacterial strains (e.g., last year's 'turkey burger' fiasco), and investigators have discovered that THOSE foods are more likely to cause illness than organic foods due to the mutated bacteria growing antibiotic resistant. Add that to all the chemicals added and "polish" and everything else, we just grow our own. Got 30 meat birds yesterday. 8 weeks and off to "freezer camp."

Old 05-19-2013, 02:35 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I have been doing some reading about natural, macrobiotic, GMO and hybrid foods. It all tastes good to me. See if there is a flaw in my logic. It makes sense to me.

If a perfume manufacturer makes a scent and we do not pay for the scent, but we smell it anyway, are we liable? That's what Monsanto is saying if a piece of pollen they modified drifts with the wind and lands in some farmer's field. There is an old princile of law; No harm, no foul. It would be one thing if a farmer broke into a Monsanto warehouse and stole a bag of seed. It is another thing entirely if Monsanto's unwanted GMO pollen drifts with the wind and contaminates a farmer's crop against his will!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:31 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I have been doing some reading about natural, macrobiotic, GMO and hybrid foods. It all tastes good to me. See if there is a flaw in my logic. It makes sense to me.

If a perfume manufacturer makes a scent and we do not pay for the scent, but we smell it anyway, are we liable? That's what Monsanto is saying if a piece of pollen they modified drifts with the wind and lands in some farmer's field. There is an old princile of law; No harm, no foul. It would be one thing if a farmer broke into a Monsanto warehouse and stole a bag of seed. It is another thing entirely if Monsanto's unwanted GMO pollen drifts with the wind and contaminates a farmer's crop against his will!
An average farmer, might see benefit from his crop being pollinated with GMO and becoming roundup resistant, or carrying an extra level of pesticide within.

Or if he caters to Organic crops, he might see massive harm done to his crops by GMO contamination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: