Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM

216 posts, read 564,520 times

Advertisements

Hello all, my wife and I are a mid-40's couple with 2 young sons currently living in Florida (hate it). We are former lifelong Connecticut residents who made the mistake of leaving New England for the Sunshine State. I could go on and on about why we dislike Florida, but I will save that for another time. Without a doubt, we will be returning to New England, it's just a matter of where. My wife has the opportunity to choose several locations with her job, and so know we are considering Maine. We have gone through all possibilities, pay/cost of living/taxes/school systems, and Maine is looking pretty good so far. We especially are looking for a more "rural" lifestyle, something that is difficult to find in the other New England States, unless you have a lot of money. We have looked at towns like Pittsford, Gardiner, Appleton, and Union. Any comments?

My wife and I are on the conservative side also. We are christian, and very family oriented. We don't knock on doors and hand out pamphlets, but don't care for the"in your face liberalism". Honestly, for this reason, we put Mass and VT at the bottom of the list. My family is originally from Northern Maine, which was very conservative from what I remember. Wondering what the area we are considering is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 PM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
I think you mean Pittsfield Maine (Pittsford is in Vermont). Pittsfield is a pretty, quiet, small residential town....a pretty typical small Maine town. I don't think you would find it a hot bed of liberalism...nor a proselytizing Christian citadel...just a nice town with nice people who believe in minding their own business.....most of Maine is like that. .

Old 05-12-2013, 04:50 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
The Augusta government-employee influence fades as you get farther from the capital. Gardiner/Hallowell -- well, let's put it this way, one of the most popular eateries in Hallowell is called the Liberal Cup. Appleton, Richmond, Searsmont, Pittsfield would all meet your requirements.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
The Augusta government-employee influence fades as you get farther from the capital. Gardiner/Hallowell -- well, let's put it this way, one of the most popular eateries in Hallowell is called the Liberal Cup. Appleton, Richmond, Searsmont, Pittsfield would all meet your requirements.
Thanks for the interesting input. I spoke in length to someone from Appleton about their home. They seemed very liked minded to us. They praised Appleton, especially the school system. They have 4 children, all of which attended the Camden High School. They all have gone on to do very well, after attending prominent colleges. It was a good sign and very encouraging for us.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
Hello all, my wife and I are a mid-40's couple with 2 young sons currently living in Florida (hate it). We are former lifelong Connecticut residents who made the mistake of leaving New England for the Sunshine State. I could go on and on about why we dislike Florida, but I will save that for another time. Without a doubt, we will be returning to New England, it's just a matter of where. My wife has the opportunity to choose several locations with her job, and so know we are considering Maine. We have gone through all possibilities, pay/cost of living/taxes/school systems, and Maine is looking pretty good so far. We especially are looking for a more "rural" lifestyle, something that is difficult to find in the other New England States, unless you have a lot of money. We have looked at towns like Pittsford, Gardiner, Appleton, and Union. Any comments?

My wife and I are on the conservative side also. We are christian, and very family oriented. We don't knock on doors and hand out pamphlets, but don't care for the"in your face liberalism". Honestly, for this reason, we put Mass and VT at the bottom of the list. My family is originally from Northern Maine, which was very conservative from what I remember. Wondering what the area we are considering is like.
pittsford must mean pittston...close to gardiner-across the kennebec river

other towns around augusta are farmingdale, litchfield, west gardiner, manchester, readfield,

going towards the coast from augusta- whitefield, jefferson, dresden, wiscasset, alna,

ive lived in the gardiner area for many years....no in your face religion, and no in your face liberalism.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

other towns around augusta are farmingdale, litchfield, west gardiner, manchester, readfield,

going towards the coast from augusta- whitefield, jefferson, dresden, wiscasset, alna,

ive lived in the gardiner area for many years....no in your face religion, and no in your face liberalism.
Yes, Pittston, sorry

Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM

Politics and religion aside, I guess one thing we would like more than anything is to move to a place where the families are more like us, middle-aged. It was like that in CT, and it was almost something I never gave any thought to. Yes, there are young, and sometimes very young in my opinion, people having kids, but it has never been so noticeable as here in Florida. We go to the local park and 99% percent of the parents are 1/2 our age. I am told constantly, "what a cute grandson you have" when I bring my son to the store. I was 40 when my son was born, in Florida that must be grandpa age.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM

48,123 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Oh I was wrong......I thought they meant Pittsfield....just because my parents used to live there....I guess it is a ways past Augusta.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:09 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Anything close to the coast (except for in Washington County) will be very liberal. The Augusta area is liberal as well (thousands of state workers live around Augusta and almost all are liberal/unionistas/statists, etc).

Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 PM

13 posts, read 32,846 times
We moved to Dresden last summer from the Midwest. Dresden is very quiet and rural, yet just a half hour drive south to Bath/Brunswick/Topsham and a half hour drive north to Augusta. Gardiner is a lovely little town. We do our grocery shopping there and there is a nice walking trail along the river that goes to Hallowell. Richmond is lovely too. Auburn is another option - lots of shopping, a college, nice little downtown...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine