Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:35 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

I adopted a retired racer- a greyhound- best dog i've ever had- for 14 yrs
great around kids and cats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 06:03 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
@ bangorme, normally we agree but I think $450 is too much for most folks. I couldn't really afford that up front, but I can afford the smaller installments that come with pet ownership. Monthly food and meds and the occasional vet visit for shots etc.

@ NMLM, what a decent man your neighbor was! Glad he had the time to take care of business.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:24 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
@ bangorme, normally we agree but I think $450 is too much for most folks. I couldn't really afford that up front, but I can afford the smaller installments that come with pet ownership. Monthly food and meds and the occasional vet visit for shots etc.

@ NMLM, what a decent man your neighbor was! Glad he had the time to take care of business.
Well, we probably do agree in that $450 is too high. But, I've been involved with rescue organizations for many years and I know that the cost of bringing these dogs back to health (vet costs),and feeding and kenneling them until they are adopted are VERY high. So, think of it as a donation and insurance that the dog isn't going to be tied to a dog house somewhere. I've owned several rescue dogs over the years, and they've been great dogs.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:32 AM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
It's not simply the cost ($450 or whatever) of adopting the dog you may be getting, but supporting the rescue organization. some of the rescues they get involved with are truly heartbreaking. They will take in dogs that were abused and neglected that may have THOUSANDS of $$$ of vet bills. The people that run these organizations are dedicated professionals. They will give you advice about the bread that they are involved with. They visit your house to make sure that you are setup to take care of the dog. We got Charlie from the Above and Beyond Great Dane Rescue, Lewiston. Best $450 dollars could have spent.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:32 AM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I adopted a retired racer- a greyhound- best dog i've ever had- for 14 yrs
great around kids and cats
Our neighbors had a retired greyhound and they felt the same way. Beautiful dog.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:56 PM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Our neighbors had a retired greyhound and they felt the same way. Beautiful dog.
Thanks to everyone for all these posts. Radio Flyer, I looked into the greyhound rescue too because I think they're beautiful dogs. But I read I would need to have a fenced-in area or keep him in the house all the time and I'm just not comfortable with that. I just bought a teeny tiny house with 8 acres of land and wouldn't want to worry about my racing dog bounding off into the distance...

Right, I am feeling $400 is high. I completely understand that rescued dogs need care. I'm prepared with an emergency fund for a dog, for sure, as I've grown up with dogs my entire life and would provide care up until the very end as my fam always did. But to pay the $400 up front plus driving the distance to pick up a dog on the fly, not 100% sure of compatibility, etc. well I may just have to give it some thought and an extra job. Suppose I could always take my vacation at the folks' and scour the streets for a poor stray...

Old 05-25-2013, 02:00 PM

278 posts, read 655,907 times
Not sure where you are, but the Westbrook Animal Refuge League's cost for adoption is a very reasonable $150. That includes the following: spaying/neutering, heartworm test, distemper vaccination, rabies vaccination, basic worming, a leash-collar-and-tag, and microchip (puppies to 1yr only).

I don't think anyone but animal control should "scour the streets looking for a stray".

Old 05-25-2013, 04:04 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
Not sure, but I think my brother's girlfriend got her mutt from Uncle Henry's. I also see them slip on Craig's List, but I think it's against the rules. I always hope that those dogs get taken before the posts are flagged.

Novilla, our neighbors didn't have a fenced in yard. Hmmm... I dunno. Maybe they lied.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:46 PM

48,113 posts, read 21,992,097 times
We adopted thru petfinder .....the dog was in Tennessee and we lived in Gorham at the time. I spoke to the foster mom who had our dog. She had been injured and had an amputation and was in special need of a gentle and loving home.
I explained to her that I had a rescue dog already......who was extremely non-aggressive and unwilling or inclined to defend herself in any way. I asked if the dog we were considering had any aggressive/domination issues and she assured me that she didn't. We arranged to have her transported to NH where we picked up.

That was 3 years ago.....and everyday has been a blessing. The expense was about what you quoted plus the transport fee. They had done all the shots and spaying and paid for her amputation and recovery. She is a bargain at any price--a lovely gentle little beagle girl. I cant tell you how much we love her and the joy she brings to our family.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:22 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
You can google (insert breed name if you have a preference) rescue insert Maine if you like and find lots of animals who need homes. Elston was fortunate to adopt from another state because that isn't always allowed. (Some of the web sites state no out-of-state adoptions.) Beagles are one of my favorite breeds.

My niece has adopted from the Humane Society in Bangor a couple of times. She paid $125 but it varies depending on the age of the dog. Welcome to the Bangor Humane Society Animal Care and Adoption Center, located in Bangor, Maine!

http://www.spcahancockcounty.org/ado...your-next-pet/ Scroll down past the cats to see the dogs.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 05-26-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine