Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:42 PM

861 posts, read 1,142,805 times

Advertisements

Pet Store Puppies are usually from Puppy Mills. Don't support this practice, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM

30,136 posts, read 23,523,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Radio, Do you mean the ones from pet stores are also rescues? I've never done the pet store thing but I imagined those dogs were somehow given away by owners, never really thought about the circumstances.
Those animals are from backyard breeders. That is, people who do it for the money without giving a damn what happens to the animals. When you go in to a pet store and ask them where they got their dogs or cats from, every single one of them will LIE through their teeth and say a breeder that is backed by the USDA or whatever alphabet agency they come up with. It's absolute horse puckey. Every single pet in the pet store has come from a backyard breeder. Heck, I know of one pet store that gets their FISH from backyard breeders...or is that backaquarium breeders?

(No reputable breeder would EVER sell their pets to a pet store.)

Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 PM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
Radio, Do you mean the ones from pet stores are also rescues? I've never done the pet store thing but I imagined those dogs were somehow given away by owners, never really thought about the circumstances.

Maine Writer, I am under the impression that it is legal to shoot trespassers. There is also the possibility of my having to follow an errant dog onto someone's property which not only wouldn't help us make neighborly friends, but could also be dangerous. The signs in question don't say "right to shoot", they say "trespassers will be shot" and "caution: will not call 911". I feel I have no choice but to take these seriously!

I suppose if you live next to a meth lab, you should take the signs for face value, otherwise, I'd use some of your common sense.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
One little detail here is that this woman hasn't been convicted of anything as far as I know, and doubt she will be. You have the right to be on your property and not be threatened by other people's dogs. The key word here is threatened. That's quite different from claiming that you can shoot any pet that wonders onto your property, which I've never personally heard claimed in Maine. The biggest lesson here is that dog owners are RESPONSIBLE for their dogs. That include barking, defecating, wondering, chasing wildlife, etc. Unfortunately it is virtually impossible to enforce that responsibility in Maine.
this is a good point....
you hear alot about dangerous pit bulls...so if i saw a roaming pit bull in my yard,,,i would want at least a baseball bat if i'm out there,,,now if i had kids in the yard, and the dog was acting in a threatening manner,,,i'd try to chase the dog off,,,but if it threatened me or my kids,,,i'd do whatever necessary

most dogs i've seen are friendly dogs,,,i've yet to see a threatening dog on my property

Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM

793 posts, read 1,325,478 times
Novila and ThreeWolves....I was specifically thinking of those poor puppies that come from the Amish. I read an article about it. My jaw dropped and my stomach turned. I never knew.

I always thought of the Amish as gentle, peaceful and do no harm, but the way they breed these dogs is so inhumane that whenever anything Amish comes up, I think of those puppy mills. I can't help it.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM

398 posts, read 695,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
[/b]

I suppose if you live next to a meth lab, you should take the signs for face value, otherwise, I'd use some of your common sense.
I used to work next to a meth lab in Bangor that had apparently erupted in flames not long before I started. I also currently live next door to some guys who mistreated their own dog and were not altogether nice people. Forgive me for taking the tell-tale signs, both roadside and other varieties, seriously when I see very little that contradicts my wary feelings. I like it where I am now, but am also a cautious person because I have seen things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine