Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 AM

398 posts, read 698,383 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in adopting a dog, and would definitely go for a rescue dog. But I realized that to rescue a Maine dog, I'll need some serious cash up front, approximately $400 give or take. I understand the dog(s) will have had shots done etc. but does it really cost that much? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm from cityfolk where we used to "adopt" strays off the street (for free) and take care of the rest ourselves. And not knowing what could possibly happen to my dog or what condition he'll really be in upon adoption, I'd rather be prepared to take him to the vet for checkup etc. following an adoption anyway.

Does anyone have experience adopting from rescues, or from elsewhere? And was your experience a good one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM

414 posts, read 302,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novila View Post
I'm interested in adopting a dog, and would definitely go for a rescue dog. But I realized that to rescue a Maine dog, I'll need some serious cash up front, approximately $400 give or take. I understand the dog(s) will have had shots done etc. but does it really cost that much? Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm from cityfolk where we used to "adopt" strays off the street (for free) and take care of the rest ourselves. And not knowing what could possibly happen to my dog or what condition he'll really be in upon adoption, I'd rather be prepared to take him to the vet for checkup etc. following an adoption anyway.

Does anyone have experience adopting from rescues, or from elsewhere? And was your experience a good one?

This site has all the info you need, search for shelters in Maine; www.petfinder.com

Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
Petfinder is the route we took. We lived in NH when we adopted our guy (from a southern kill shelter)and Petfinder directed us to PuppyAngels.

I was a little apprehensive about rescue. I thought that perhaps the dogs would be angry and aggressive. Someone on another message board told me that the rescues almost "know" that you saved them, and they thank you for the rest of their lives. I've found this to be true.

Our mutt gets a little overwhelmed when there's too much activity, or when Mr. Flyer raises his voice during football games on the TV, but that's about it. He's 100% pure joy.

Oh, and the total cost was about 350.00. Remember these dogs are fostered on the way north, plus all the shots, etc.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
We've gotten a couple of our fuzz butts from the Ark shelter in Cherryfield. The last one was $100.-

Old 05-24-2013, 01:24 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I used to be able to pickup a dog from a city pound for $20.

Recently watching Craigslist and online listings, folks want $300 minimum as a 're-homing' fee.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
That much $ is outrageous!!!! The last shelter cat I got was $20 and a friend got an ARK dog for less than $100 although both were a couple years ago.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
I've rescued and fostered dogs brought to New England on what they call the "Underdog Railroad", from the South to NH.

They tug your heartstrings, don't they, with their write-ups on petfinder of how they "pulled this poor animal from the brink of euthanasia". Hmmm. Let's see the documentation on that please?

I became disenchanted with these orgs., and not just because of the $450 they charge adoptive families. All of the people involved in animal donation, transport and fostering are volunteers, including myself. The vet services are discounted. So why is that cost so high? A Canadian friend who breeds SBTs said it's a racket, and very profitable for the heads of these Animal Rescue outfits. Don't know.

I have seen wonderful animals come off the transports, I have seen not-so-wonderful animals from the transports. Personally, I wouldn't bring an animal into my home again that I didn't meet beforehand and test for dominance and other things.

There are great shelters in Maine that house animals ALREADY IN MAINE. The Humane Society of Somerset County is a good one. (ohhhh I shouldn't have looked at that, now I wanna bring home another dog to add to my zoo!)

Best Luck!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
I was surprised by the cost, I'll admit and I'm sure there are scams, but we did get papers with our dog, documenting his condition and treatment, signed by a vet in Kentucky.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
On one hand I hate to see fees so high, but on the other hand I hate to see dogs tied to dog houses because the owners place absolutely no value on them as living things. Some people see dogs and cats as disposable, and those people shouldn't own them. So overall, I like the high fees. If you can't pay the fee, you probably won't be able to feed and care for your pet properly, and you probably won't "adopt" ten of them. I know, there are a lot of generalities here, but I've seen it many many times.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
My neighbor just died. Interesting guy with a long history. He took his husky to the pound four weeks ago and they found an older couple who wanted an older dog that was not boisterous. He gave away his rabbits to somebody who would keep them as pets. He know it was his time and he did the responsible thing.

He spoke fluent Mandarin. Lee Academy has numerous Chinese students. He would roll down the window and yell out a greeting to the students and they would yell back in Mandarin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine