Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:20 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times

Advertisements

Maine always jockeys with Vermont for being the nation's whitest state. Both states are around 97% white. Portland is Maine's most diverse city and it is 3% Asian, mostly Southeast Asian (Vietnamese and Cambodian), so in theory, one out of every 33 people you see will be Asian. Not a lot, but enough that I can assume it's not such a foreign sight.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:23 AM

8 posts, read 43,122 times
Wow! I guess I can add to that 3%.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM

534 posts, read 3,111,620 times
I'd guess it's a lot less than 3% if you include South Portland which has almost none.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:13 PM

While the recently-released 2005 Census estimates did not give a detailed portrait of Portland, they did profile Cumberland County and assuming the city has followed similar trends and increased it's minority population at an equal rate since the 2000 Census, Portland now is probably 4-5% Asian and around 4% black and 2-3% Latino. Not exactly a beacon of diversity but still, the most diverse place in Maine.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:38 PM

989 posts, read 5,925,394 times
Why do you care about how many Asians there are in Maine?

I find it funny many are saying lack of diversity is a major problem.

Start realizing what brings people together into communities..

Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Why do you care about how many Asians there are in Maine?
I'm guessing because perhaps the original poster is Asian and does not want to feel like an exotic creature while walking around the streets, worthy of stares and ignorant questions and remarks.
Quote:
I find it funny many are saying lack of diversity is a major problem.

Start realizing what brings people together into communities..
I find it funny how many white people on this board justify looking for areas that are mostly white and will state just as such claiming they are just being direct and honest and tiring of political correctness run amok, and then turn around and get offended when others who happen to be of different races do the same.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:32 AM

8 posts, read 43,122 times
dullnboring, you are correct! not only that, but also it would be nice to have my kids in a diverse school system. I know how it feels to be THE asian in a class/school/club, etc. That is all.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:07 PM

423 posts, read 1,931,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavb View Post
dullnboring, you are correct! not only that, but also it would be nice to have my kids in a diverse school system. I know how it feels to be THE asian in a class/school/club, etc. That is all.
I dont think you would feel unwelcome in Maine. Mainers are interested and enjoy people from different backgrounds because they are more uncommon. Portland is a city that does have some diversity though, so you wouldnt feel too out of place.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 AM

7 posts, read 53,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondGeges View Post
Personally I'm moving to Maine because of its LACK of diversity
Well you found the right place and many like-minded people! The only diversity we had in our town was adopted anyone else was driven out of town. There was actually an active KKK group in the late 80's early 90's in town that targeted french canadians b/c there were no people of color to bother. Personally I got tired of it and felt it was the biggest reason to move away. Where I live now has a good balance of all the races and its great to know so many diverse families. I think my family is better off b/c of it.

Last edited by jenney77; 12-11-2006 at 06:55 AM..

Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 AM

7 posts, read 53,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavb View Post
Is there a large Asian population there? I'm thinking probably a better chance of seeing a couple in the larger cities...portland? The census data doesn't really tell me anything. If you went to the grocery store on a saturday morning, how many would you see there getting their cheerios?
Just from experience... my husband is chinese and was constantly asked if he was an exchange student (despite having a perfect american accent, a US citizen and raised here). Don't move north of portland its white and more white. In portland there is 1 good vietnamese restaurant, a banh mi shop, a few southeast asian markets, but its really limited. I was raised in central maine and thank god my parents dragged us to portland and boston on a regular basis or I would have never seen someone of color. Though its a quick drive from portland to boston (1.5 hrs?). I would definitely move to the portland area. Its a great little city with a little of everything. The people were open-minded and its getting more diverse as time goes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine