Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,479 times

Advertisements

I was in the attic today, cleaning some stuff out, and came upon my grandmother's old family Bible.
Like people often did in the old days, she kept all kinds of family records and stuff inside it.

The book itself is in pretty bad shape, the binding is failing, and pages are loose. I'd like to get it fixed, as a memento of my grandmother. Does anyone know of a place around that can restore old books, particularly one as huge as this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 07:21 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Check with your local antique shop or used book store. They might know someone. There used to be a man in Camden who specialized in repairing and restoring old books. The Camden Chamber of Commerce might have his name, if he's still in business.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Yes! There is a bookbinder in Portland, and I believe they specialize in arcane formats. Let me see if I can find it
for you...

Carlson & Turner Antiquarian Books & Bookbindery - Portland, ME

Pretty cool, there is more than one:

Strong Arm Bindery

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 36,232 times
This may be too late, but make sure to scan all of the family info BEFORE you send it off to the binder and make sure that you get detailed receipts and photos when you hand off the Bible. A friend had her husband's family Bible sent off to a binder in New York City. The fellow promptly lost the Bible amidst his stacks of "to-do" items. If my friend had not been persistent in forcing this man to find the Bible, it would have been lost. Be especially careful if the binder is elderly or in poor health. Most are wonderful, but safe guard your Bible against any unforeseen circumstances. In the meantime, it is wonderful to hear that you are saving your family Bible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine