Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times

Advertisements

Don't have the kid worry, Radio; and since I'm practicing to become a crotchety old retired man, having no nearby schools wherever I settle is a plus....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 PM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
I hear ya....although I do have kids.

There's a thread in the parenting forum on this board. The OP says that he/she has become that "Get off my lawn!" person. I'm starting to relate, let me tell you.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:33 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I hear ya....although I do have kids.

There's a thread in the parenting forum on this board. The OP says that he/she has become that "Get off my lawn!" person. I'm starting to relate, let me tell you.
As a teen, I befriended one of those retired guys...

All the neighborhood kids and their parents knew about the old man down the road...

I was new to the area and didn't... my bike got a flat and I asked to use his phone to call home.

He started out about all us kids are no good... I then apoligized for bothering him and said I would just push the bike home...

Maybe he felt bad... the long and short is he had a tube patch and we repaired it in his shop...

30+ years later he sold me his home...

Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM

Wow...Shades of the movie Gran Torino. Well, kinda.

I noticed that a Prop 13 thread popped up in the CA forum again. I thought it best if I stayed out of it this time. Since I don't live there anymore, I try to keep a low profile.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Thinking about it you are right...

Attitude was spot on.

He was a decorated WWII fighter ace and that experience certainly gave him a unique perspective on things.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:47 AM

I would think so. Are you still in touch with him?

Old 06-30-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I would think so. Are you still in touch with him?
Yes... every month.

About 10 years ago, I saw the for sale sign at his house when I dropped by for a visit.

He was having trouble getting around from an WWII shrapnel injury and decided it was time to move to a retirement community... I told him I might be interested in the place because he had built a shop out back and I needed room to work on my project cars...

To make a long story short... I sold my home and put 50% down on his and he carried the note...

Most of his friends said it was a horrible mistake and he now has to worry about collecting the mortgage payment.

By the first of each month I hand deliver my payment and we have a chance to catch up... his friends now say he made a great move because while they are getting nothing on CD's... I was paying 5% and later he lowered it to 4% based on 15 year amortization.

All of the old pilots have stories of Maine stopovers and being glad to be back on American soil when they were heading home.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 06-30-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-30-2013, 12:58 PM

Ultra...You might enjoy learning about the Maine Troop Greeters. Check out these links...

Maine Troop Greeters :: The Official Home - Bangor International Airport

Documentary...

The Way We Get By | POV | PBS

(See what I did there....I made this thread about Maine again.)

Old 06-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
Brunswick if I had a choice. I bought my latest motorcycle from a guy in Harpswell in April '10 and rode it back to the west. When I called him from a craigslist ad and set up an appointment, I couldn't believe his house on the water with a dock and very large boat docked there. When he opened his garage door and I saw my reflection off his floor and not one thing out of place all next to this shiny black bike that he had just detailed, I just said, "sold!" I'd bet that his place was worth hundreds of thou....oh I can't even count that high.

I have friends in Brunswick and both have affordable homes with very large lots and great neighbors. Lots of amenities and close to Portland.
Thanks, 007, I'll look into Brunswick too. The thought of living off the beaten path, deep down one of the Harpswell peninsulas seems appealing from 3100 miles away; but no doubt there's a better selection in my price range nearer to Brunswick.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:22 PM

Great story, Ultra; thanks for sharing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine