Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 550,421 times

Advertisements

there is some possibility that i may be picked up for FTA (not for any harsh crime, just owe a bank some $$ and it gets my name in the paper for the humiliation factor.

anyway, in hancock county, does anyone know the bail for something like that? thx for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
you gotta be kidding me............

Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Um... we don't do debtors prisons in this country, the last I knew. I am not a lawyer--and if this is a concern of yours, you would do better to hire one--but, if someone files a civil lawsuit against you, and you don't show in court, I always thought it meant that the court just entered a default judgment against you. In other words, you automatically lose by not showing up; but I've never been sued, so I don't really know for sure.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:13 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Coastal has it right. A matter of money owed- civil suit- default judgement entered against you. However, if you fail to pay after that, you are now in contempt and things can begin to get sticky.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
I'm no expert, but I had a friend that was destitute and living in his car that was unable to pay child support. He got subpoenaed into court. I SUSPECT that if he had not showed up the judge would have issued a bench warrant to make sure he showed up next time. Usually, as Zymer stated, if the judge has to issue a bench warrant, he/she will most likely hold that person in contempt of court, which (if you don't have a REAL good excuse) will probably result in some county time.

If you have a REAL good excuse, I'd call the court and explain it. If you don't, I'd call a lawyer and explain it. The later course of action is the safest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine