Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 07:51 PM

49 posts, read 104,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Give yourself 2 hours, possible 2.5, travel time due to traffic and road construction.

Having lived in Rockland most of my life I have to say that I disagree with the above poster...I actually left Rockland because of the increase in traffic--mostly transplants. The lobster festival is just another carnival with a high priced admission fee. There is good food there, though. For something else to do....walk the breakwater, and drive to Camden and climb Mt. Battie. There's almost always good weather during the festival, so hopefully you will be in luck.
Mostly transplants cause traffic problems?? My husband and I are here for work. We are helping to stimualte the economy and also the tax base. You mention Camden. Although it is one of my favorite spots, it can be highly annoying to drive there in the busy months. The original poster lives in the DC area. I compared our traffic here to theirs. I've been to DC many, many times. Its a breeze here compared to what they face every day. The tone of your post made it seem like folks like my husband and I or anyone else coming from away drove you out because we apparently cause traffic issues for you. ?? I'm sorry you feel the way you do. I hope "The Transplants" don't invade your space in wherever you live now. You will have to move again! God forbid hard working, tax paying, upright citizens from away move to this area and make a home for themselves. Oh the humanity! Just because we aren't from here doesn't mean we aren't free to give people advice or information they requested even if you are in disagreement because you are from here. We live here. We are part of the community and no less a citizen than someone that was born and raised here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
Other than getting through Wiscasset, the traffic really wasn't bad at all. Most drivers maintained the speed limit and kept the flow of traffic moving at a decent pace. We intentional drove up Friday from Portland thinking that might be a bad traffic day. We wanted to experience the "worst" Maine had to offer. We were very pleased with what we ran into. Lobster Fest was interesting to go to but we aren't sure we would do it very often. But it was a beautiful sunny day with the high temperature around 80. Can't complain about that. By this time next year, we should be residents of Maine.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:29 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Other than getting through Wiscasset, the traffic really wasn't bad at all. Most drivers maintained the speed limit and kept the flow of traffic moving at a decent pace. We intentional drove up Friday from Portland thinking that might be a bad traffic day. We wanted to experience the "worst" Maine had to offer. We were very pleased with what we ran into. Lobster Fest was interesting to go to but we aren't sure we would do it very often. But it was a beautiful sunny day with the high temperature around 80. Can't complain about that. By this time next year, we should be residents of Maine.

rte 1 can be crazy,,,of course most of us despise any bumper to bumper traffic, because we dont have to deal with it,, (heavy traffic)

if, by chance you come up again,,,, drive 95 (turnpike) to augusta, and take rte 17 to rockland,,,the driving time will be much better-less traffic

ive lived in maine my whole life and have never been to the rockland lobster festival,,,,or even the yarmouth clam festival,,,

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 09-14-2013 at 03:41 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 07:24 AM

506 posts, read 683,819 times
I think that I am done with the Lobster Festival. Lobster is so cheap now it just isn't worth paying the exorbitant admission fee just so I can go look at a carnival, craft tent and pay another $30 for a lobster meal.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
As a tourist, I felt I had an obligation to uphold the image of the "from away" visitor and give the Lobster Fest a try. Now I can cross it off my list. But the main reason for going was to experience driving during tourist season on the primary north/south route. It is part of the process we are using to eliminate some areas from our search for our "final resting place." And other than some minor delays, driving in Maine is a pleasure compared to driving in Austin, Texas traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine