Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 03:30 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

The border between Maine and NH is referred to as the "Maple Curtain" It is like the Iron Curtain was in Europe. It defines the line between two societies with widely different economic and social philosophies. Nobody tried to escape from Western Europe across the Iron Curtain. Many died trying to escape from the East across the Iron curtain.

NH has no income tax and no sales tax. They have a legislature of about 630 people who get paid about $200 a year to serve. They have to go home every night to face their neighbors. NH is friendly to business, both large and small businesses.

Maine has both a sales and income tax along with many others. We have a legislature of mostly career politicians who want to preserve the system as it exists. That system makes Maine dead last in the nation as a place to start a business. You must be very determined and patient to get a business started here. Oh yeah; You can't hunt on Sunday either. However, Maine just voted in same sex marriage. It was turned down several times before, but now that it passed once, they don't want any more votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:55 AM

613 posts, read 944,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexKnox View Post
Lol!!! Yes, I'm sure.

City-data is a virtual pandemic of people who don't research things at all before they ask the locals, isn't it? Lol!

I know. I've run into my share on Texas forums.
Well, excuse me, but I asked, b/c I didn't know, whether it was legal in ME, or whether you knew for sure? I don't know what you know, or don't know, about ME, or anything else, unless you put it in your post. And yes, there are tons of people asking questions on City-data about areas they don't know very well, exactly b/c they don't know everything about it. And if you do know everything about ME, why ask questions here?

I am pretty sure that ridiculing people in Maine who are trying to be helpful, or ask you a simple question, won't make you very popular there......

Old 07-17-2013, 06:41 PM

187 posts, read 347,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Well, excuse me, but I asked, b/c I didn't know, whether it was legal in ME, or whether you knew for sure? I don't know what you know, or don't know, about ME, or anything else, unless you put it in your post. And yes, there are tons of people asking questions on City-data about areas they don't know very well, exactly b/c they don't know everything about it. And if you do know everything about ME, why ask questions here?

I am pretty sure that ridiculing people in Maine who are trying to be helpful, or ask you a simple question, won't make you very popular there......
Oh geez. I think Mainers have thicker skin. "Ridiculing people in Maine". First: you don't live in Maine. Second: I wasn't ridiculing you. I was making a statement that it would be really silly if I didn't know.

You asked if I was sure gay marriage is legal in Maine. I laughed and thought it was funny because it would be silly for someone in MY position (not you) to not know what the laws pertaining to gay marriage are in a state where I am interested in living beCAUSE I want marriage rights.

I didn't realize you were asking for YOU. I thought you were just making sure I knew.

I wasn't laughing at you or ridiculing you. I was laughing because it would be horribly funny and sad if I didn't know.

...and lastly: I never said I know everything about ME.

So, lighten up, buddy...and, btw, thanks for your helpful info. Sorry that you thought I was ridiculing you.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM

506 posts, read 683,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The border between Maine and NH is referred to as the "Maple Curtain" It is like the Iron Curtain was in Europe. It defines the line between two societies with widely different economic and social philosophies. Nobody tried to escape from Western Europe across the Iron Curtain. Many died trying to escape from the East across the Iron curtain.

NH has no income tax and no sales tax. They have a legislature of about 630 people who get paid about $200 a year to serve. They have to go home every night to face their neighbors. NH is friendly to business, both large and small businesses.

Maine has both a sales and income tax along with many others. We have a legislature of mostly career politicians who want to preserve the system as it exists. That system makes Maine dead last in the nation as a place to start a business. You must be very determined and patient to get a business started here. Oh yeah; You can't hunt on Sunday either. However, Maine just voted in same sex marriage. It was turned down several times before, but now that it passed once, they don't want any more votes.
You forgot to mention that the gay marriage issue was put to a statewide vote.........and each time it was voted on, more people supported the notion of same sex marriage until it passed last fall. You are free to get signatures to bring it up to a vote again if you'd like. Good luck!

Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

After living in NH for 4 years, I can confidently say your are wrong. There aren't much different economic or social philosophies. Nice attempt at political tripe, though. The citizen legislature (400 in the House, 24 in the Senate) is made up of a lot of retirees, unemployed, housewives, very wealthy and others that can afford or simply don't work. I remember one guy, bless his heart, in Manchester that was mentally challenged and on the legislature. It has some good aspects, some not so good. It is truly a "people's legislature," but the makeup has its issues at times. NH also has a "business profits tax", so the "no tax" mantra is horse puckey. Now, if you want to live on Winnepesaukee in your mansion, THAT'S where you're going to pay for it. They "tax the view" for property taxes in NH, with wars going on for people that can't afford the "view" that have lived in the same home for decades. I do like the concept of not paying income tax and living in a trailer and saving, but representing that there is some kind of mecca over there is pure balderdash. A friend of mine built a good sized house up by Littleton, 20 acres of non-waterfront land for the wife's horses. First property tax bill was over $26,000 and that was 4 years ago. They packed up and moved to S. Carolina. What they don't charge in sales and income taxes, they make up HARD in property taxes. Nor does NH have the extensive road systems to maintain we have here in Maine, and doncha just love getting dicked at the toll booth in NH on your way to MA? What a racket that little stretch of I-95 is for the State of NH. Finally, the proximity to Boston economic markets, services and infrastructure can't be met in Maine. Blame it on politics all you want, it ain't true whatsoever.

Nice jab on same sex marriage as well. I've got a live and let live and leave me out of it attitude, but if California could overturn it by vote, why wouldn't Maine if the citizens wanted? Maybe they don't want to. Come on with misleading political stuff. Rise above it.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
After living in NH for 4 years, I can confidently say your are wrong.
I get a little tired of people just pulling stuff out of thin air and claiming it gospel here. FACT: Maine is, or is one of, the most highly taxed states in the U.S.. N. H. isn't. This has been researched many times. FACT: Maine is one of the most business unfriendly states in the U.S. This has been researched many times.

I love Maine, but it has its warts and denying them doesn't make them go away.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM

I get a little tired of illiteracy and FACTS that are hogwash to support a political agenda. Try re-reading. The "tripe" is the "widely differing economic and social philosophies." That doesn't exist. NH has a different approach to paying for State government, dumping the cost (primarily) on real estate. There is absolutely no doubt that an NH citizen's tax burden, as a percentage of income, is much lower than ME. The "business unfriendly" thing, well, NH has a business profits tax that ME doesn't have. I can form an LLC in ME in one day, obtain insurance and be doing it within 2 days. Pretty much the same thing in NH, except I'll be paying business profits tax. I'm not sure what "business unfriendly" means unless its some kind of political mantra. Simply put, real estate costs, rents, etc., in NH are much higher than in Maine. Licensing? No, pretty much the same. Permitting? For what? Read what I wrote one more time. It explicates a few of the reasons Maine has high taxes, but nowhere does it excuse the high tax burden. Nobody wants to pay sales tax or income tax. I'm tired of supporting useless, over-employed Government in Maine, but Maine is entirely differently situated geographically and thus financially than NH. Portland, for example, is well north of Laconia. Bangor is well north of Berlin, which, without the "new" prison, is an economic noman's land. Concord is kinda up there in relation to Boston. The lion's share of NH's entire economic base is Manchester south, and focused on Boston. Now, what was pulled out of thin air as "gospel"?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
I lived in NH for a about 3 years and liked it ok. I worked in Rochester(Thompson Ctr. Arms) and lived in Farmington. I found it to be a lot cheaper to live there than Maine, although I never owned a home there, just rented. It seemed as though government was smaller and less intrusive there. Other than teachers and state employee unions I think it is far less unionized than other New England states(a good thing!)
I wish Maine would copy cat some of their ideas.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Exactly. You get to decide if you want to live in a grand mansion on Winnepesaukee or in a trailer park and keep your money. It's a "tax the rich" mentality, that provides an option to the individual, that doesn't comport well with the "Maple Curtain" theology. A friend from Dover, NH, is currently visiting here and seems to firmly believe the overall cost of living in Maine is lower. I tried to correct her, to no avail, and they live in a mobile home. It's an individual perception that the grass is greener, I think. It ain't. It's just a different shade of green. I liked NH, but I need more remote lakes, more salt water and will pay the price for it. Saves the 4 hour drive from Concord, too. Almost 8 hours to Umsaskis.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
... I found it to be a lot cheaper to live there than Maine, although I never owned a home there, just rented.
There is often a huge difference from one Maine town to the next Maine town.

Most Maine townships [52%] have no zoning, but some Maine townships have lots of zoning.

Most Maine townships [52%] offer a very low level of municipal services [being restricted to only those services which are provided by the federal government or state government]. While some Maine townships support a wide array of costly services for their residents.

One time, I did some researching and I found that the town adjacent to my town [to the West] had a mil-rate exactly double my town's mil-rate. The town adjacent and to our South was over three times our mil-rate. It may have changed a bit now, every year mil-rates fluctuate.

My point is that each town decides how much services they want to pay for, and their taxes will match their desire for services. Two townships right next to each other, can have widely different taxes.

General statements about Maine often do not hold water as there will be many exceptions.

Quote:
... It seemed as though government was smaller and less intrusive there. Other than teachers and state employee unions I think it is far less unionized than other New England states(a good thing!)
I wish Maine would copy cat some of their ideas.
I live in an Unorganized Township. I find it hard to imagine local government being any less intrusive.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine