Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM

398 posts, read 698,168 times

Advertisements

We just moved to a more rural area in central Maine from a small town, and can't decide how we should approach our new neighbors. We're on a private, gravel road which we share with said neighbors, but I understand folks here are much more private people so I don't want to impose and ruin any potential relationships. All neighbors have No Trespassing signs in their front yards, and I haven't seen them out and about as we pass by. So how do you guys meet your neighbors in this situation without offending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I'd knock on the door of the nearest next door neighbors and introduce yourself, maybe with a little history of where you're from, where you work, info on the members of your family living with you, hobbies or activities you might share, etc. Keep it short unless they seem interested. Give them your phone number and let them know you're available as a neighbor if they need you for anything or if they'd like to stop by. You might want to check in with them depending on their age, health, availability of a second vehicle, or small children when a winter storm comes around to see if they need anything from the store.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:56 AM

48,112 posts, read 21,992,097 times
I would respect their "No Trespassing" signs and wouldn't go uninvited and knock on anyone's door. Respecting privacy is important, especially in Maine. If you get active in community affairs...church or any community organization....you might meet people and find out you're neighbors, and see if that has any possibility to develop into friendly neighbors.

You could put out a sign announcing a "Open House" on such and such a date and invite folks in.....or if you have any items...after your move.....hold a yard sale. But best bet is to go slow. Of course if any of them hold a yard sale this summer......that would be a perfect time to stop over and browse and introduce yourself as a neighbor.

Do you all share in the upkeep of the road. Are there any meetings about that?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 AM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
I don't know, I think I'd have to go over and knock on the door and introduce myself, especially if they haven't approached you. You might just keep it simple and let then know who you and and possibly ask about road upkeep, plowing etc as an excuse. You can start out with the "I'm sorry to intrude but I wanted to introduce myself as your new neighbor....I wouldn't have just come up to the house but I wanted to at least just meet you and say hello.

Getting involved in other local community things or going to the local dairy bar or where ever is how you'll meet the other neighbors....Its summer some people are outside more, just keep you eyes out and don't hesitate to say your new here.

I have family in central Maine, and while private they do want to meet and know the neighbors. Also they seem to just drop in on people, which is different to me, I'm a call 1st kind of person. Lastly I'm in portland, but I had a new neighbor just knock on the door of my house this past weekend to let me know her moving truck would be here and she didn't want to clock me in.....so, I think ultimately I think you need to just do what's natural to you and indicate you don't want to be intrusive.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:37 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Just be friendly. That's all.
There are no rules about it.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:10 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times
Took a while but now my neighbors are pretty good friends......most of us in this neck of the woods are either retired old farts or PT workers. We all like our privacy and don't go knocking unannounced.....

Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
i agree with elston,,,if they dont know you and you are walking around houses knocking on doors...they may think you are ..either lost, a jehovah witness, or a burgler,,,, wouldnt advise it

If you are all on the same road,,wave to the others,,,they'll get to know who you are,,,,and sometimes,,,slow down and say hi to them,,,if they are outside or walking,, if they are having a lawn sale stop to talk with them,,,,also,,get to know their cars,,,,if you see them at a local store,,strike up a conversation

it also depends on age range....if they are young,,a couple, retired, etc.

a sign "free beer" with an arrow on it, pointing to your place,,will usually bring in the neighbors

Old 07-17-2013, 07:29 AM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
You could go with a handmade sign that says "I'm your neighbor"......might freak them out but it will get the point across if they don't want to open the door.

Seriously though........try to catch them when they are out and about........and go from there depending on their level of "friendliness".

Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Have you gone into the local American Legion and had a beer? They usually have a posted calendar of events. Check out the list of coming events and attend a few to them.

The K of C, VFW, all do that.

Go visit the local churches.

When I first got here, I joined the American Legion, VFW and the local lodge. Later we got into a church and the granges.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I agree - I wouldn't go knocking after seeing a No Trespassing sign posted. Perhaps there is a Grange that is active in the community. They usually welcome newcomers and from there you might find out about who your neighbors are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine