Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
You know, it's kind of like me moving to Maine. I'm not moving to Maine and expecting to make Maine like Texas. I won't be coming in expecting you guys to cater to MY needs and support me financially as if it's your duty.

I will come and join YOUR communities, learn your lingo (most of which I'm yet to figure out!) and learn to live like a Mainer, with my best effort being made to be a contributing citizen and enhance the lives of those I have the priviledge of knowing. I'm bringing my own brand of talent, but I will adapt it to meet the expectations of my new home and neighbors.

If I'm not willing to do those simple things to be a part of Maine, then why should I come up there?
exactly!! and that is how it should be for everyone....

Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 AM

[quote=K-Luv;1975252]
Quote:
And then, to FORCE my children to learn Spanish or not be allowed to graduate American high school because our population down here is overwhelmingly Spanish is an atrocity IMO. [/QOUTE] High school students are required to learn a foreign language as a requirement for graduation. Would you rather have your child learn something useless like French or German? Like it or not, learning Spanish makes sense.

[QOUTE] and stand outside all hours of the night drinking and shooting their guns off into the air over her house. [/QOUTE] I am being totally serious here, but isn't this a very common thing for TEXANS to do?
I'm confused here....what exactly did you mean to say K-Luv regarding the "TEXANS" and shooting of their guns? because that sounds like a gross generalization to me....and a FLAME.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:05 AM

323 posts, read 992,691 times
Quote:
And while I'm on my soap box......when the illegals sacrifice THEIR sons to fight for OUR country so they can call this place home, then maybe I'll be a little more sympathetic to their plight. So far, I hear of far more blood spilled BY THEM on our soil than otherwise.

JMHO!
This is so TRUE and something we've been saying for years!!!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:12 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I'm confused here....what exactly did you mean to say K-Luv regarding the "TEXANS" and shooting of their guns? because that sounds like a gross generalization to me....and a FLAME.
I don't think it is a flame, but a mis-guided preconceived idea of an area based on giant generalizations. Kind of like most of the country thinking Mainers are all either Lobster Fisherman or Loggers, and we all live within spitting distance of the ocean.

Texans are an independent (bordering lawless) gun toting bunch, Michigan is all Industrialized, California is all Surfers and Computer geeks, North Dakota doesn't know what a tree looks like, Florida is either 80 year-old blue hair or exiled Cubans, New Hampshire all drive Volvos and not very well at that (Oh wait, that last one is true ) Just Kidding NH, we know you also drive green Outbacks if the Volvo is in the shop. LOL

See where I'm coming from. Unless you travel and actually see the other places, you are bound to have a preconceived idea of what you will find there. I've never been to Alaska, but am willing to bet the picture I draw in my mind when I hear that States name is probably 20% accurate, 50% close, 30% off the wall silly.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM

276 posts, read 792,624 times
Yep! I've seen CA, MD and FL ruined by illegal immigration. I speak Spanish, and I have traveled throughout Latin America. I love the culture, and studied Spanish in college, and I refused to use any English in a Spanish speaking country because I wanted to be forced to use the language. The people appreciated my efforts and corrected my mistakes (and I learned)!!! But I DO NOT like illegal immigration.

In fact, I have seen how racist some of these Latin nations are to indigenous people. Mexico treats indians like garbage (hence many of those coming here are Indian Mexicans). The hypocrisy is unbelievable. Additionally, some of the most vehement arguments against illegal immigration in CA come from Hispanic citizens who came to this nation legally and don't want this country turned into another third world nation. The vast majority of the people of the USA have had enough, but the worthless politicians don't care--Republicans want cheap labor and Democrats want votes. It's a lose lose situation. People better wake-up before it's too late (of course it may already be too late now)!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 AM

323 posts, read 992,691 times
Quote:
You know, it's kind of like me moving to Maine. I'm not moving to Maine and expecting to make Maine like Texas. I won't be coming in expecting you guys to cater to MY needs and support me financially as if it's your duty.

I will come and join YOUR communities, learn your lingo (most of which I'm yet to figure out!) and learn to live like a Mainer, with my best effort being made to be a contributing citizen and enhance the lives of those I have the priviledge of knowing. I'm bringing my own brand of talent, but I will adapt it to meet the expectations of my new home and neighbors.

If I'm not willing to do those simple things to be a part of Maine, then why should I come up there?
We are trying to move to Maine also. It is likewise our intentions to contribute to the Maine community as opposed to what we can suck out of it. As community members the more we share and work together the more we have collectively.

Illegals often blame their own goverment for their plight, however the manpower which sneaks into our country illegally and steals form our goverment needs to stand up and develop their own private sector.

Such as our own need to stand up against powerful oil interests, we could spend far less effort to steal oil from others and develop our own viable alternative energy sources!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I don't think it is a flame, but a mis-guided preconceived idea of an area based on giant generalizations...

Well it's definitely a mis-guided idea that's for sure....

a flame is when you purposely say something to incite an argument....I'm having trouble NOT seeing that as a way to get El to jump in and say something....

Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Well it's definitely a mis-guided idea that's for sure....

a flame is when you purposely say something to incite an argument....I'm having trouble NOT seeing that as a way to get El to jump in and say something....
I am not trying to get anyone to jump in anywhere. What I said was in regards to my own experience in El Paso and just outside of Austin. The general sentiment was something along the lines of God, Guts and Guns and that you weren't a true Texan unless you owned at least one assault rifle because you never "knew when you would need it".

Don't believe me? Bring this up in the any of the Texas forums.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:23 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
Illegals often blame their own goverment for their plight, however the manpower which sneaks into our country illegally and steals form our goverment needs to stand up and develop their own private sector.
I fully agree. These illegals may have full intentions of coming here for a better life, but I think that it would be more productive if they fought for a better quality of life in Mexico.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 AM

[quote=K-Luv;1975252]
Quote:

[QOUTE] and stand outside all hours of the night drinking and shooting their guns off into the air over her house. [/QOUTE] I am being totally serious here, but isn't this a very common thing for TEXANS to do?

I'm having trouble getting from this statement to the next one....

sentiment was something along the lines of God, Guts and Guns and that you weren't a true Texan unless you owned at least one assault rifle because you never "knew when you would need it".

the first one sounds as if you're saying all Texans do this (drinking and shooting their guns off into the air...)....and now you're talking about just having a gun in case you need it.

whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine