Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times

Advertisements

I would love to know where the "purple" house is in Bangor. I haven't seen it yet. There was one just off Hammond St. back a way but they have painted it the beginning of the summer a different color. I think it is Perkins St. New people moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM

14 posts, read 26,364 times
Gah, sorry, I don't remember! We spent a lot of time in Bangor basically going "oh, pretty street, turn here!"

Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Have you made any decisions on where you might want to settle in Maine?

Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 AM

14 posts, read 26,364 times
We loved the Central Maine area the most - it felt like home, a great place to raise a family and settle down. Plus it seems ideally situated between so many natural beauties. If you're asking about exact locations, at first blush West Gardiner and Manchester seemed fantastic. Waterville was also very appealing. The eastern side of Augusta - along highway 202 - also had some lovely areas.

Bangor was a bit far from the "big city" opportunities of Portland and Portland itself was a bit too touristy/big city feeling for us. Both are great places to visit and enjoy their various amenities, but they didn't say "home" to us. Although, I have to say, eating at the Front Room in Portland was nirvana for my tongue (haha).

We decided to look for jobs in a 30 mile radius around Portland and a 50 mile radius of Augusta. So even if the ideal job opportunity came from Portland, we'd try to live a bit more central and commute. We'd probably live slightly outside a major town (we were calling them "anchor towns") - within easy driving distance of major services/shops but just far enough to have a little space.

But, since we're not natives or familiar with the area, once we find that perfect job we thought we might rent a house for a year or so to explore the area and get a feel for the communities (and the commute) before finally settling down.

Thanks for asking!

Last edited by Tiana-Arylle; 10-23-2013 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: Decided to list some specific communities

Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana-Arylle View Post
We loved the Central Maine area the most - it felt like home, a great place to raise a family and settle down. Plus it seems ideally situated between so many natural beauties. If you're asking about exact locations, at first blush West Gardiner and Manchester seemed fantastic. Waterville was also very appealing. The eastern side of Augusta - along highway 202 - also had some lovely areas.

Bangor was a bit far from the "big city" opportunities of Portland and Portland itself was a bit too touristy/big city feeling for us. Both are great places to visit and enjoy their various amenities, but they didn't say "home" to us. Although, I have to say, eating at the Front Room in Portland was nirvana for my tongue (haha).

We decided to look for jobs in a 30 mile radius around Portland and a 50 mile radius of Augusta. So even if the ideal job opportunity came from Portland, we'd try to live a bit more central and commute. We'd probably live slightly outside a major town (we were calling them "anchor towns") - within easy driving distance of major services/shops but just far enough to have a little space.

But, since we're not natives or familiar with the area, once we find that perfect job we thought we might rent a house for a year or so to explore the area and get a feel for the communities (and the commute) before finally settling down.

Thanks for asking!
west gardiner has very low taxes-comparably,

Old 05-27-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 912 times
Default Helpful Information

This was helpful reading. we are moving up and in transition at the moment. Our friends came and were very unimpressed with downtown Augusta. My immediate thought was but there are lakes and hills. Then I thought of Hallowell and Gardiner which is where we wil take them tomorrow. Glad to know they are not the only ones who were badly impressed with Augusta, but maybe there are some things we are missing. I love the Kennebec River Walk and their are small town theaters too. The people are very friendly, also. I know I will like living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine