Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:45 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Pros:

Clean air

Gorgeous scenery

Traffic is seldom a hassle

Generous, friendly people

Safe, family-friendly communities

Four seasons

Wildlife

Cons:

Lack of good paying jobs. As one of my coworkers says, "Maine is a great place to live, but it's a hard place to make a living."

I have yet to find a good tortilla in the state. Passable? Yes. Truly, truly good? No.

The invisible chip on the shoulder of some Mainers. The stereotypical standoffish judgmental Maineah is rare, but it does exist. I've found it most often in folks of my parents' generation (say age 55+) and almost non-existent in younger people. There is the occasional Maineah who is hyper-sensitive to anything that doesn't meet his or her worldview. For example:

Someone from away might ask a Maineah: "We're new in town. We absolutely love it here. But we're having a hard time finding some activities for our kids. Can you recommend any?"

What that person actually meant: "We're new in town. We absolutely love it here. But we're having a hard time finding some activities for our kids. Can you recommend any?"

What the Maineah heard: "We just moved here to show you how the better half lives. You hicks sure are funny. Don't you have anything for kids to do? Why, where I'm from..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

I have yet to find a good tortilla in the state. Passable? Yes. Truly, truly good? No.
Have you tried out Cancun in Downtown Waterville? It was owned by Mexican immigrants, last I knew, so it's probably the closest you'll find in Maine to authentic.

Quote:
The invisible chip on the shoulder of some Mainers. The stereotypical standoffish judgmental Maineah is rare, but it does exist. I've found it most often in folks of my parents' generation (say age 55+) and almost non-existent in younger people. There is the occasional Maineah who is hyper-sensitive to anything that doesn't meet his or her worldview. For example:

Someone from away might ask a Maineah: "We're new in town. We absolutely love it here. But we're having a hard time finding some activities for our kids. Can you recommend any?"

What that person actually meant: "We're new in town. We absolutely love it here. But we're having a hard time finding some activities for our kids. Can you recommend any?"

What the Maineah heard: "We just moved here to show you how the better half lives. You hicks sure are funny. Don't you have anything for kids to do? Why, where I'm from..."
<soapbox>It's mostly a modern American idea that kids should be shuffled about to various "activities" to keep them entertained. It's a luxury of the rich. I had to find ways to entertain myself as a kid, and never had too much difficulty: catching frogs, digging in the dirt, catching bugs (much to mother's chagrin), hiking through the woods, and stuff like that. Kids have imaginations, and keeping them "entertained" all the time doesn't really help them develop those imaginations.</soapbox>

Seriously, though... ween the kids off the cell phone and video games for a while, and teach them to enjoy the wonders of the universe, and to discover that their own imaginations have no limits. Even as young as 6 or 7, I was out wandering in the woods by myself on the 5 acres of land my parents had.That would probably be criminal nowadays! It makes me sad that children are so sheltered nowadays that they cannot truly enjoy childhood--even the playgrounds they make now look boring compared to what was around when I grew up.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM

793 posts, read 1,342,961 times
Agree on the playgrounds...When my boys were toddlers (about 10 years ago), by accident, we came across a long lost playground, complete with teeter-todders, an ancient wooden merry go round and a slick metal slide.

I was happier than they were when we found the place! It was like going back in time.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:38 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Pro - fresh air
not hearing "traffic" day and night
low crime
great hiking trails
access to ocean and lakes

Con - long snow season
distance from Boston

Last edited by Newdaawn; 08-10-2013 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-10-2013, 01:14 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Pro - fresh air
not hearing "traffic" day and night
low crime
great hiking trails
access to ocean and lakes

Con - long snow season
distance from Boston
I would consider the distance to Boston as a 'pro'.

Is there something that easier access to Boston would be 'good' for?

Old 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM

468 posts, read 758,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post

<soapbox>It's mostly a modern American idea that kids should be shuffled about to various "activities" to keep them entertained. It's a luxury of the rich. I had to find ways to entertain myself as a kid, and never had too much difficulty: catching frogs, digging in the dirt, catching bugs (much to mother's chagrin), hiking through the woods, and stuff like that. Kids have imaginations, and keeping them "entertained" all the time doesn't really help them develop those imaginations.</soapbox>

Seriously, though... ween the kids off the cell phone and video games for a while, and teach them to enjoy the wonders of the universe, and to discover that their own imaginations have no limits. Even as young as 6 or 7, I was out wandering in the woods by myself on the 5 acres of land my parents had.That would probably be criminal nowadays! It makes me sad that children are so sheltered nowadays that they cannot truly enjoy childhood--even the playgrounds they make now look boring compared to what was around when I grew up.
Hear, hear!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:

I don't disagree with you.

But is it something to get offended and rude about??? Not that you did. Your post was quite well put. But I've seen crotchety old Maineah's get downright snotty to young parents about this when the poor folks were just trying to be friendly and share a little.

There are some Mainers --- and they are and extreme minority, thankfully --- who quite frankly need to lighten up. There is a difference between cherishing your way of life and way of thinking, which is just fine, and parsing every word from an outsider, just hoping for something to get offended about. I've seen it happen on quite a few occasions. This is the "invisible chip on the shoulder" that made my con list.

The stereotype is that Mainers are clannish, close-minded, and dislike outsiders. It's not true at all for probably 95% of native Mainers. But that last 5% ...? They really make the rest look bad.

I know where the attitude comes from, because I've also seen the flip side of the coin: Folks who come up from Boston or New York with the attitude that only their own desires matter. There's a case near our town where a rich guy from New York bought up the land near a restaurant that has had a great view of the water for three generations. He's building a McMansion on it, blocking the rest of the community's view. And he's doing it for a vacation home where he might spend a couple of months each year. The restauranteurs were nice about it at first, trying to reason with him. Didn't work, so they took it to court. But he had the high dollar lawyers, so he won, and his McMansion is nearly done. Similar things have been going on in Maine for a hundred years.

So I do understand the root of the animosity. But the 5% of cranky old farts need to learn to distinguish allies from enemies. Treating anyone whose great-grandfather wasn't born in Maine as an interloper is stupid and small minded. There are lots of people who visit Maine or come here to live that do it because they love it and want to be part of the community. Even if you don't agree with a newcomer's views, you'll get a lot farther with a kind word and some generosity than than with local snobbery.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Have you tried out Cancun in Downtown Waterville? It was owned by Mexican immigrants, last I knew, so it's probably the closest you'll find in Maine to authentic.
Waterville's a bit far from me, but the next time I'm in that area, I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-11-2013, 07:25 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
There are some Mainers --- and they are and extreme minority, thankfully --- who quite frankly need to lighten up. There is a difference between cherishing your way of life and way of thinking, which is just fine, and parsing every word from an outsider, just hoping for something to get offended about. I've seen it happen on quite a few occasions. This is the "invisible chip on the shoulder" that made my con list.
You can replace Mainers with people.
Quote:
The stereotype is that Mainers are clannish, close-minded, and dislike outsiders. It's not true at all for probably 95% of native Mainers. But that last 5% ...? They really make the rest look bad.
There's a problem here. Why would anyone ignore 95% good to elevate the 5%? When you're surrounded by good and choose think everyone is bad because 5% of the population are jerks it's time to adjust your way of judging people.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would consider the distance to Boston as a 'pro'.

Is there something that easier access to Boston would be 'good' for?

Yes.....the best hospitals in the world, if you need them, and I'm sure several other things of use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine