Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times

Advertisements

I remember Hurricane Gloria and Bob. We played games by candlelight. It was fun.

The ice storm of 1998, not so much fun. Although my house was only without power for 3 days, and I was in a fully operational hotel out-of-town, so I really didn't experience any discomfort or inconvenience. I had a co-worker who lived down a fireroad on a lake. 12 days without electricity. 12 days without a blow dryer did not make her a happy girl at all!

A generator really is a good thing to have in Maine. You may not use it very often, but having one when you do need it will make you much happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,115 times
I have lived in Maine full time since 1977. I have seen snow storms, hurricanes, one gigantic ice storm, and felt a bunch of earthquakes. When we had hurricanes it was windy and rained a lot. When we had major snowstorms, it sometimes got very, very cold, snowed very hard and was very windy. The ice storm was very exciting because it was so different. During the ice storm I drove to my commercial buildings in Blue Hill at least twice a day carrying rocksalt in the back of my station wagon so I could try to keep the public walkways free of the ice. It never occurred to me that it might be too dangerous to drive....it wasn't particularly slippery since the road crews did such a good job between Ellsworth and Blue Hill.

The earthquakes were just bumps and for several years I didn't even realize that they were earthquakes. Maine sits on a gigantic geological fault line, so we do get some seismic acvitity.

In the end, it is Maine, and we get weather, and all the other stuff. Most of the time I don't pay attention to the weather report, and only really know that there is going to be a storm by going into the grocery store. When it is jammed, that means that the grocery chain has paid off the weather man to announce the "storm of the century" to pump up the sale of groceries. Then we get some rain, wind or maybe snow.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 AM

14 posts, read 71,388 times
I lived in Maine for thirty years, about half in the very cold upcountry and half on the very foggy coast. I enjoyed the weather, but in the end, my arthritis trumped me. I spent Hurricane Bob on Warren Island in Penobscot Bay-- What an experience! We had a cold spell in 1980 when the temperatures went to -46 (not wind chill, real temperature) and spent two weeks without electricity during the big coastal ice storm (2000 I think). In Maine, we were always ready for the weather. In winter, nothing surprised us. So why did I leave? I'm a pastor, and did a fair number of funerals every year for older people who slipped on the ice, broke their hip, and then developed pneumonia and died. Given my age, my arthritis, and my clumsiness, it was only a matter of time. I live in Arizona now.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:59 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post

In the end, it is Maine, and we get weather, and all the other stuff. Most of the time I don't pay attention to the weather report, and only really know that there is going to be a storm by going into the grocery store. When it is jammed, that means that the grocery chain has paid off the weather man to announce the "storm of the century" to pump up the sale of groceries. Then we get some rain, wind or maybe snow.
Well put! Definitely the grocery store activity is an excellent indicator. So great you take it all in stride without panic

will never forget our first earthquake in Maine. Probably in '85 or '86 and centered in Chicoutimi, Quebec. The beverage in our glasses rattled while we sat in the living room. It was most odd- though not frightening.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:26 PM

77 posts, read 197,459 times
Default Regarding Hurricanes and Ice Storms and such...

Hurricane Bob (which was the first Hurricane I experienced in Maine) wasn't that much of a big deal; I lived with my parents at the time about 10 miles inland in Southern Maine). Some trees were blown down but not too bad.

(**Heh: Don't even begin to ask me about my time spent in Ohio with the various Tornado Warnings!)

Frankly, the "Storm of the Century" (depends on who you speak with in 1993 on the naming of said storm) was quite interesting; I think we got close to 36 inches in about 24 hours or so which is pretty amazing for Southern Maine (Yarmouth).

There was a storm sometime in between 1993 and 1998 that dumped a TON of rain in October (96,97,98 - can't exactly remember the year) that in some places registered 16 + inches in a very short time span in places like Camp Ellis (Saco). I believe this was caused by a hurricane that was later classified as "extratropical" but nonetheless causes major impacts to our region.

For the Ice Storm of 1998 - again, impacting where I live in Yarmouth, we sought refuge in a hotel in Portsmouth, NH (approximately 60 miles south). The funniest thing was watching WCSH-6 TV's "Storm Center" and hearing their over the top dramatic music, with reporters wearing their sweaters and reporting the abysmal conditions in northern New England. There must have been about 80 "refugees" from the Portland area in the hotel bar watching the broadcast on the big-screen TV. We spent 3 days there while we were calling our answering machine to see if it picked up (meaning we had juice back home). Too funny.

Next time, we're hopping on the next Southwest flight from Manchester, N.H. to Las Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine