Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 3,174 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am looking for a little insight. My husband is currently in the Army, but he is separating in the spring. We are looking into Maine, we would like to live in the country, which I’m sure won’t be an issue. I have a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration, as well as a bachelor’s in human resources, so I am hoping to find an area with opportunities in these areas. My husband is looking to become a police officer of some sort. Any ideas? Looking for a nice smaller town to raise a family, we love being outside. How is the cost of living in ME?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 18,384 times
CMMC and St Mary's in Lewiston always seem to be hiring

Just an FYI on cost of living....
Fruit prices are outrageous and change seasonally
Milk--4.15 a gallon

Gas- 3.66
Apples 1.49/lb
Oranges 6.99 a bag
Blueberries 3.49 pint
Grapes 2.99/ lb
Best deal for hamburger is Walmart 5 lbs for about $15

Don't forget tolls. If you are going from the L/A area to Portland and back it will cost about $5 but there is always the back way.

Most (99%) of the apts in the L/A area are in remodeled houses. Example... 3 story carriage house remodeled to have an apartment on each floor.
Rent in the Lewiston Auburn area is about
$550-$650 for a 1 bedroom
$750-800 for 2 bedrooms (you will pay more for the safe/clean areas)

Heat and hot water are usually included
You will have a heck of a time finding a place that accepts pets especially dogs
If you decide on Lewiston, avoid any streets that are trees...i.e. Wood St, Maple, Blake, Bartlett

Last edited by hmcd2008; 08-21-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 06:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcd2008 View Post
CMMC and St Mary's in Lewiston always seem to be hiring

Just an FYI on cost of living....
Fruit prices are outrageous and change seasonally
Milk--4.15 a gallon

Gas- 3.66
Apples 1.49/lb
Oranges 6.99 a bag
Blueberries 3.49 pint
Grapes 2.99/ lb
Best deal for hamburger is Walmart 5 lbs for about $15

Don't forget tolls. If you are going from the L/A area to Portland and back it will cost about $5 but there is always the back way.

Most (99%) of the apts in the L/A area are in remodeled houses. Example... 3 story carriage house remodeled to have an apartment on each floor.
Rent in the Lewiston Auburn area is about
$550-$650 for a 1 bedroom
$750-800 for 2 bedrooms (you will pay more for the safe/clean areas)

Heat and hot water are usually included
You will have a heck of a time finding a place that accepts pets especially dogs
If you decide on Lewiston, avoid any streets that are trees...i.e. Wood St, Maple, Blake, Bartlett

milk is 3.49
blueberries/raspberries are 2/5.00 on sale
grapes are on sale at 1.29-1.59

save a lot and bourques market, will have burger for same price, but its real burger ground fresh onsite

many many apts in lewiston and auburn, some are very decent buildings.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
cntrask24 -

Welcome

We moved to Maine in 2005. After 20+ years in the Navy this has been our best move yet.

Most of Maine is very small towns and rural forest. This is a great place to raise a family.

Maine offers a lot of outdoor activities.

IMHO, Maine offers a seemingly high cost-of-living for some, and yet a very low cost-of-ling for others. As compared to most other places where I have been stationed this is much lower priced. However as you can see there are posters here who seem to be experiencing the opposite.

Maine has very few toll roads [1/3 of I-95 and the Golden Road]. Maine also has a fairly limited urban area. However if you settle in the urban corner then you will likely contend with a higher cost.

There are Farmer's Markets everywhere, so you have wonderful opportunity here to buy most of your veggies, meats, and dairy directly from the farmers.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:37 PM

11 posts, read 18,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
milk is 3.49
blueberries/raspberries are 2/5.00 on sale
grapes are on sale at 1.29-1.59

save a lot and bourques market, will have burger for same price, but its real burger ground fresh onsite

many many apts in lewiston and auburn, some are very decent buildings.

The Save-a-lot we have is gross and we got food poisoning from the meat they package.

And yes this week fruit is on sale, but next week it won't be.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:42 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcd2008 View Post
The Save-a-lot we have is gross and we got food poisoning from the meat they package.

And yes this week fruit is on sale, but next week it won't be.

lets see, lewiston, auburn has many grocery stores, with many many different items on sale,,,every single week,,

Old 08-22-2013, 05:52 PM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrask24 View Post
Hello all, I am looking for a little insight. My husband is currently in the Army, but he is separating in the spring. We are looking into Maine, we would like to live in the country, which I’m sure won’t be an issue. I have a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Administration, as well as a bachelor’s in human resources, so I am hoping to find an area with opportunities in these areas. My husband is looking to become a police officer of some sort. Any ideas? Looking for a nice smaller town to raise a family, we love being outside. How is the cost of living in ME?
If you want "smaller town" and "to live in the country," then you probably ought to stick to places north of Portland. From Portland southward, it's pretty much solid town until you hit New Hampshire.

No matter where I have looked for a job in Maine, the healthcare field is the area that I see is ALWAYS hiring.

Groceries are pretty high in Maine. Gas prices are comparable to other states. Heating oil is an expense you'll need to consider if that's what heats your house. But in Maine the old adage holds true: You get what you pay for. Maine isn't perfect, but it is a great state in which to raise a family. There's nowhere in the U.S. I'd rather live.

My advice: Come for a visit before you move. Do your research beforehand, and make a list of possible places, but visit before you take the plunge. And given the general state of the economy, I would definitely try to have a job before moving.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,547,503 times
Check out Bangor and the surounding area. It has a lot to offer and a huge medical center - EMMC and we also have St. Joseph's Hospital as well. St. Joseph's offers a bit more personal service, which I prefer. We have many improvements here over the last 10 years, such as a lovely waterfront and the just completed Arena. Lots of houses are up for sale recently now that the Realestate mkt seems to be moving a bit more. Google Bangor and you will get any needed information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine