Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 PM

121 posts, read 320,687 times

Advertisements

I just read that Maine's governor just signed a bill making Maine a virtual sanctuary state for illegal immigrants. Ten years ago my family moved to Santa Fe, NM partly because it was a very safe city with low crime rates. New Mexico's crime rate, drug problem, etc. has been continually on the rise largely due to the influx of illegals, who bring with them drug trafficking, gang activities etc. (ditto for other states with problems created by illegal immigrant crime activity such as Texas, California...) We are an illegal friendly state, much to our states demise, IMO. What is to prevent the same thing happening inthe state of Maine, (which we had considered relocating to for the same reasons we originally relocated to NM) with these policies regarding illegals? Drivers licenses? Not being allowed to ask someone what their immigration status is? How do you Mainers feel about these policies? Maine seems to be a very safe place for the most part. Do you think these policies might change that for the worse?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:59 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaFeSisters View Post
I just read that Maine's governor just signed a bill making Maine a virtual sanctuary state for illegal immigrants.

Why wouldn't that surprise me one bit. Oh yeah, it's because we have a dumb-azzed ex-dishwasher for Governor. Rant over.

I can see him doing something like that if he thought for a split-second the State might be able to eek a penny out of them someway. I really don't see the majority of the State becoming another NM at all. Just too damn cold, and too far away from family.
Unless of course they come in from Canada, don't see that either because for the first time I can remember, their dollar is worth more than ours and they have free healthcare. You would have to be brain dead to move out of Canada into the States right now if you have any type of job over there.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:05 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Is there a link to that announcement?

I really don't think that it would become that much of an issue. As Bydand stated, its way too cold and isolated for most people coming in from Mexico. There are immigrant farm workers who rake blueberries and pick apples every year, but they don't stick around once the work is done.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
I don't see immigration from Mexico being much problem in Maine. It's so far. I think most of the illegals stay close enough to maintain an easy connection to Mexico. After all, they are taking our jobs and our money and sending it back to Mexico!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:14 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
that's so strange....

Old 11-10-2007, 07:17 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Well, in a few years I'll just move to Mexico. The way I see it I'll have the entire country to myself. Seriously, though Maine barely has enough jobs for it's own citizens and the one field that is going to boom in this state-biotech-requires at least a BA.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Is there a link to that announcement?
Just Google maine sanctuary for illegals.

Eclarim-Minnesota has a huge number of Mexican immigrants (as well as Ecuadorian and Honduras) which is far from home and is statistically colder then Maine. Tons of ag and under the table jobs, I guess....

Old 11-10-2007, 07:45 PM

276 posts, read 792,853 times
Please do not make the same mistake that CA has made concerning illegals (as well as other sanctuary states or localities like my hometown of Rockville, MD and FL). If you value your way of life you will stop this insanity of a sanctuary state for illegals now before it is too late. Yes, compassion is important, but I assure you that the crime rate will increase and your schools and social welfare system will be overwhelmed. The cold weather will not make a difference. They will still come. Stop it now before it is too late! Why do you think so many people from other areas of the nation are looking to move to places such as Maine? I assure you that it isn't just because of the pristine beauty of the state of Maine; rather, it is a way of life that is rapidly disappearing in many places in the country. Compassion is important, but please use common sense and logic!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 07:49 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Actually now that I think about my earlier statement, weather isn't that much of a factor. There are tons of Mexicans here in WI too. And it gets A LOT colder here than in Maine because of the wind off of Lake Michigan.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
I have some experience living amongst an illegal population. It was miserable. A good number of the Guatamalans and Hondurans follow the harvests and work in the fish houses. I'm in a town of (last I checked) about 1600. Last week I went to our 1 drugstore and what do I see? A Guatamalan woman, buying beer, cigarettes and tampons. At our drugstore they ask for your birthdate when you buy alcohol or tobacco, she did not understand ( qué es su fecha del nacimiento ). As other states make it more difficult for them to live there, many are heading north to Massachusetts and New York. Unless something is done by our beloved government, we will see an influx. The Mayans (an ethnic group of their own in Mexico and S.A.) are used to the cold and hard conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine