Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 12:19 PM

129 posts, read 202,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It sounds like you are pretty wide open as to your options, which is good. The only parts of the state which will not meet your needs are the entire northwest quarter of the state (too far to a hospital), or the southern Maine/coastal areas (too expensive).
One exception to the former: the area around Allagash is an outdoors paradise, world-famous for the Allagash Wildnerness Waterway. Great fishing, hunting, etc. It is in far northwest Maine, BUT it is only 40-45 minutes or so to the nearest hospital.
This is exactly what I am looking for! Thank you so much for your response. Only one thing...someone had mentioned earlier about speaking French in that area. I have to say, I suck at French. Being from Texas, I'm much better at figuring out Spanish lol. The other thing I guess would be the cost of living. Is it on the lower side in this area?
Again, thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Pretty much anyplace North of Bangor is going to be rather sparsely populated in comparison to what you're used to. I'd suggest a visit to see the various areas to see if you would be okay with them. I'm taking some classes at UMaine in Orono so have been spending half of my week in the Orono/Bangor area for a couple weeks now. You go outside of town on logging roads and it quickly turns to very undeveloped semi-wilderness (really managed timberlands but it feels like wilderness in a way). Bangor itself is very crowded by my standards but you may find the surrounding areas quite nice. You can be about 20 minutes (depending on traffic) outside of the city and be quite rural.

Regarding fishing, it might be worth noting that Maine is the only U.S. state outside of Alaska where you can catch arctic charr.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Pretty much anyplace North of Bangor is going to be rather sparsely populated in comparison to what you're used to. I'd suggest a visit to see the various areas to see if you would be okay with them. I'm taking some classes at UMaine in Orono so have been spending half of my week in the Orono/Bangor area for a couple weeks now. You go outside of town on logging roads and it quickly turns to very undeveloped semi-wilderness (really managed timberlands but it feels like wilderness in a way). Bangor itself is very crowded by my standards but you may find the surrounding areas quite nice. You can be about 20 minutes (depending on traffic) outside of the city and be quite rural.

Regarding fishing, it might be worth noting that Maine is the only U.S. state outside of Alaska where you can catch arctic charr.
Thank you so much for the information. It's really difficult to picture the beauty of Maine being from Texas. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in pine trees on a lake and that was beautiful too. But this is just completely different. We can't wait to begin our adventure!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Check out what might be available in the area from Bangor to Ellsworth. There are several lakes in that area, one being Branch Lake and Phillips Lake. The year round housing on Phillips is more costly. Also we have Eastern Maine Medical Center here in Bangor which would be about 20 miles from the Branch Lake area. Look into Dedham and Holden as well. Maybe it would be possible to fly into Bangor for a visit so you could get more of a feel for the area before deciding to move here.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Check out what might be available in the area from Bangor to Ellsworth. There are several lakes in that area, one being Branch Lake and Phillips Lake. The year round housing on Phillips is more costly. Also we have Eastern Maine Medical Center here in Bangor which would be about 20 miles from the Branch Lake area. Look into Dedham and Holden as well. Maybe it would be possible to fly into Bangor for a visit so you could get more of a feel for the area before deciding to move here.
We actually are going to take a RV up to Maine and explore the state. We aren't really dead set on one area yet. We are getting mixed reviews about the Allagash area, but it is just so beautiful! So we will see what's in store for us when we get there.!
Thanks for all of the information!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine