Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:28 AM

68 posts, read 195,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Mass north is southern maine/portland right?
That's a term used by folks in an attempt to degrade those who live in the southern end of the state. Apparently it's to make them feel better about themselves. Not sure if it works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:37 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
Being from Ma, i do consider the area around portland very similar when i visit ive been during every season but the middle of winter (for few day stays), and during all seasons for day trips. Its roughly similar to sub-urban MA in almost every aspect, and its not untill i leave the built up parts of town till i notice any change.

That all seems to end once you reach Oxford County, that stuffs the boons...

Old 04-29-2016, 05:26 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
Exactly - its a political distinction that people like to make to divide and (attempt) to conquer. It doesn't work, but it makes them feel like they have accomplished something by labeling everyone below the "Volvo Line" or the Mason/Augusta line as "different." It is 100% a fallacy, implanted in the minds of those that attempt to perpetuate it solely for political gain. It's actually rather funny that purportedly "independent" thinkers can be so easily led.
To the OP and researchers. This is a great thread to discover people's experiences. The world can be a tough place and many people posting here are hoping to move to a better place than where they are. Jersey is no heaven but it is what I know and have many ties, but know there is better. I was hoping it was Maine until I learned to not let your guard down the hard way and was turned on by who I thought were friends and colleagues. The real friends keep in touch five years after I left.

US and Them is the mindset of a large group. "Divide and Conquer" really in Maine? Assuming the people in Southern Maine can be "easily led" indicates that you have a political motive to divide and conquer.

Maine is a great state if you trust your gut through lessons learned in life. Cruze won that should give a good Idea of where the state leans.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:58 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Not Maine specifically, but somewhere rural. That was the picture I painted to a couple girls that I courted. They each thought I was crazy, until this one red-headed truckstop waitress. She liked the idea.
Try living in a generation where firearms are evil, and hunting is 10 times worse.... And living in MA does not help one bit..

Old 08-22-2016, 04:43 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
US and Them is the mindset of a large group. "Divide and Conquer" really in Maine? Assuming the people in Southern Maine can be "easily led" indicates that you have a political motive to divide and conquer.
Sadly it happens in many states ... New York with NYC and the rest of the state; Virginia (where I spent most of my adult life) with Northern VA and the rest of the state; and here in Maine with the Portland area and the rest of the state. Our good governor has been known to say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Maine is a great state if you trust your gut through lessons learned in life. Cruze won that should give a good Idea of where the state leans.
Yep, Cruz won the Republican caucus with 46%.

And Sanders won the Democratic caucus with 64%.

I fell in love with Maine as a kid, visiting every summer for many years. I love it more now, being able to live here year-round and enjoying all four seasons (six, if you include mud and black fly seasons). Politicians come and go; Maine endures.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:28 PM

10 posts, read 13,612 times
I have been researching Maine off and on for a few years, and have been doing a lot over the last week. Reading through all the comments on here, I can't help but be amazed when people say the cost of living is low..I was just sitting here wondering how anyone could afford to live there (or the majority of the Northeast). How do you afford (or want to afford) $300k houses that are 1,500 sq ft.? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone, and have always been fascinated by Maine and living there, which is why I'm researching. I just can't wrap my head around the money.

Example:

My house is similar to a lot I have seen in the area (Portland and surrounding areas). Colonial style older home, hard wood floors, 1,400 sq ft, 3 beds, 1.5 baths, 1 car garage. Seems like this house is $250k give or take up there. It was $85k here..

Old 08-23-2016, 03:10 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltrooney View Post
I have been researching Maine off and on for a few years, and have been doing a lot over the last week. Reading through all the comments on here, I can't help but be amazed when people say the cost of living is low..I was just sitting here wondering how anyone could afford to live there (or the majority of the Northeast). How do you afford (or want to afford) $300k houses that are 1,500 sq ft.? Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing anyone, and have always been fascinated by Maine and living there, which is why I'm researching. I just can't wrap my head around the money.

Example:

My house is similar to a lot I have seen in the area (Portland and surrounding areas). Colonial style older home, hard wood floors, 1,400 sq ft, 3 beds, 1.5 baths, 1 car garage. Seems like this house is $250k give or take up there. It was $85k here..
Have you ever looked at Zillow?

Old Town Real Estate - Old Town ME Homes For Sale | Zillow

MLS #: 1279805 - $95,000
455 Main St,
Old Town, ME 04468
4 beds 2 baths 1,568 sqft

MLS #: 1275487 - $90,000
208 4th St,
Old Town, ME 04468
3 beds 1 bath 1,200 sqft

MLS #: 1272280 - $99,000
283 Center St,
Old Town, ME 04468
4 beds 1 bath 1,630 sqft

If you open the search parameters a bit, there are a bunch of homes on the market for $20k to $40k.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Have you ever looked at Zillow?

Old Town Real Estate - Old Town ME Homes For Sale | Zillow

MLS #: 1279805 - $95,000
455 Main St,
Old Town, ME 04468
4 beds 2 baths 1,568 sqft

MLS #: 1275487 - $90,000
208 4th St,
Old Town, ME 04468
3 beds 1 bath 1,200 sqft

MLS #: 1272280 - $99,000
283 Center St,
Old Town, ME 04468
4 beds 1 bath 1,630 sqft

If you open the search parameters a bit, there are a bunch of homes on the market for $20k to $40k.
I use Zillow and Realtor.Com both. I see that the locations you listed are in Old Town, near Bangor. I have been looking around Portland area mainly due to higher population, assuming more jobs? Whether that is true or not I guess is another question.

I have been working in dealerships for around 5 years now, so I could probably get a job wherever there are car dealers. I'm more concerned about my wife at the moment, who is working on her psychology degree.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:57 PM

536 posts, read 845,082 times
Southern Maine is expensive but also cosmopolitan. That matters to many people. It's well connected to the rest of the world with a train station, bus service, and airport.

Northern Maine can be more cut off, more far away from services, but it has a much lower cost of living and requires people to be more self-sufficient. From what I have seen, it is incredibly beautiful.

It just all depends on what people need and where their lives are.

All of Maine is Maine. You'd think the point is obvious but I get pretty tired of posters insisting only they inhabit the "true" Maine. Sure.

I notice the difference between Mass and Maine the minute I get North of the ME border. The landscape looks different and the culture is different. Wherever they live, Maine-ers make do. They like their privacy. They respect their neighbors but give them a lot of space. Nothing wrong with that anywhere in the state.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Southern Maine is expensive but also cosmopolitan. That matters to many people. It's well connected to the rest of the world with a train station, bus service, and airport.

Northern Maine can be more cut off, more far away from services, but it has a much lower cost of living and requires people to be more self-sufficient. From what I have seen, it is incredibly beautiful.

It just all depends on what people need and where their lives are.

All of Maine is Maine. You'd think the point is obvious but I get pretty tired of posters insisting only they inhabit the "true" Maine. Sure.

I notice the difference between Mass and Maine the minute I get North of the ME border. The landscape looks different and the culture is different. Wherever they live, Maine-ers make do. They like their privacy. They respect their neighbors but give them a lot of space. Nothing wrong with that anywhere in the state.
I have seen the "true" Maine a lot through comments..reminds me of the "city" vs. "country" battle here in Kansas. Sounds to be almost the same thing in reality.

My wife will be pleased with having a lot of space. She is not overly fond of all of the neighbors bothering her constantly. I on the other hand, don't mind so much. I don't want everyone to be so private that we are all alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine