Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times

Advertisements

Ah ha....a leisurely road trip....made ya think...mission accomplished

Don't miss the Smokey mountains in Tennessee...Cade's Cove is awesome!

The New England coast is a trip in itself....Nubble Light is neat.

If you do make it to the North Woods bring your passport and consider taking the Canadian highway across a d re-entering in Upstate New York. You will pass Quebec City and Montreal....all worth checking out. Once in New York you are again in God's country....the "Adirondacks"......

The White Mountains...Baxter and Acadia.....the list is endless !

I should have been a tour guide.....NOT

I do not guarantee many things but I do guarantee that your trip can and should be a fantastic life long memory.

During your journey, try not to spend too much time looking for that perfect place...let it find you....and when it does....your search has ended......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 06:23 PM

371 posts, read 537,346 times
Oh that sounds like such a great trip and knowing you will land in northern Maine in late winter/early spring is more reassuring. I would personally love to visit the Civil War battlegrounds in Virginia. I never seem to make that trip but it's on the bucket list. You will arrive just in time for mud reason lol! Better that than the bitter cold. I hope you have a chance to take a side-trip to Vermont on your way. All in all, it sounds like an adventure and I hope you have a safe and fun time of it.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
... I was however pretty much told that if I wanted to live in Northern Maine, in a small township, that I would pretty much be doing the same thing as living in the wilderness.
Snug in a house is different from outdoors.

You may likely lose power often, I do. Many homes in my township have generators or are already off-grid.

Feeding or coal wood into a stove is just normal daily activity in winter.

Quote:
... I know that a big issue are the roads needing to be plowed in winter if you live in a private road. But I have also seen where some people actually do this to help themselves make extra money in the winter. Is this not something I can help my neighbors out with also? Just something I was thinking about....
Thanks again.
Some people do earn cash by plowing driveways for others.

A previous poster mentioned 'shoveling' snow. If you had a very short driveway, close to the municipal road, so you were only shoveling a couple yards, then maybe I could see doing this. I think that a lot of urban Mainers do that.

But if you have much length of driveway, or any private road, you are not sane to be shoveling. I have not shoveled any snow in a few years.

Get someone to plow your driveway, or get a machine, or get a plow-blade put on your vehicle.

I plow my driveway [which is over 100 yards] and I do some of our neighbors.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 PM

129 posts, read 202,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Snug in a house is different from outdoors.

You may likely lose power often, I do. Many homes in my township have generators or are already off-grid.

Feeding or coal wood into a stove is just normal daily activity in winter.

Some people do earn cash by plowing driveways for others.

A previous poster mentioned 'shoveling' snow. If you had a very short driveway, close to the municipal road, so you were only shoveling a couple yards, then maybe I could see doing this. I think that a lot of urban Mainers do that.

But if you have much length of driveway, or any private road, you are not sane to be shoveling. I have not shoveled any snow in a few years.

Get someone to plow your driveway, or get a machine, or get a plow-blade put on your vehicle.

I plow my driveway [which is over 100 yards] and I do some of our neighbors.
Sorry for the confusion...I was actually trying to ask if it would be unreasonable to think that I might could get someone to do this for me. I by no means think that I could be able to shovel my driveway by myself. I may not know a lot about living in the snow, but I at least know that much. Lol!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Oh that sounds like such a great trip and knowing you will land in northern Maine in late winter/early spring is more reassuring. I would personally love to visit the Civil War battlegrounds in Virginia. I never seem to make that trip but it's on the bucket list. You will arrive just in time for mud reason lol! Better that than the bitter cold. I hope you have a chance to take a side-trip to Vermont on your way. All in all, it sounds like an adventure and I hope you have a safe and fun time of it.
I too have always wanted to visit the old battlegrounds. If I actually thought I would find anything, I would love to take a metal detector and search around the area for days!
Hopefully by the time winter rolls around again I will know my $&* from a hole in the ground a little better and we will be somewhat more prepared!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Ah ha....a leisurely road trip....made ya think...mission accomplished

Don't miss the Smokey mountains in Tennessee...Cade's Cove is awesome!

The New England coast is a trip in itself....Nubble Light is neat.

If you do make it to the North Woods bring your passport and consider taking the Canadian highway across a d re-entering in Upstate New York. You will pass Quebec City and Montreal....all worth checking out. Once in New York you are again in God's country....the "Adirondacks"......

The White Mountains...Baxter and Acadia.....the list is endless !

I should have been a tour guide.....NOT

I do not guarantee many things but I do guarantee that your trip can and should be a fantastic life long memory.

During your journey, try not to spend too much time looking for that perfect place...let it find you....and when it does....your search has ended......
Don't think I'm not taking notes of all these wonderful places to visit! And if we miss them this time, maybe we can get to them fairly soon after. As far as letting a place pick us, that's exactly the plan. That's why I kept saying that we would stay at places for a while and visit with the townspeople. A passport is definitely on our list of things to have with us when we take off. This is definitely going to be an adventure of a lifetime. We can't wait for the next part of our life journey to begin.
Thanks for all of the input. We may have gotten off to a rocky start, but I truly appreciate all the input you have given.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:15 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
A very large majority of the people I deal with tend to experience those same rough spots....I am very accustomed to it. Everyone has a dream....a vision and then they retain my services to give them a dose of reality and it can be a little shattering.

Who knows what your future will bring, I only wish you both a safe, enjoyable, well planned journey.....be wise, beware, and above all.....be happy

Old 09-21-2013, 10:47 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
I've never known it to be a problem finding somebody to plow out your driveway.......either somebody who charges or a neighbor is always handy.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I've never known it to be a problem finding somebody to plow out your driveway.......either somebody who charges or a neighbor is always handy.
I was thinking, maybe me being a nurse, I might can help out in someway myself. Since I'm limited in what I can do physically. Just a thought. Growing up in a very small town myself, both of my parents were nurses, and let me tell you, people called them for everything (within reason of course). Again, just a thought.....

Old 09-22-2013, 07:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugLoverof4 View Post
As always I am always thankful for any info I get. I have looked up Allagash on the web and it is absolutely gorgeous! With Maine being such a beautiful state, I'm sure there are other beautiful areas too. I would really like to live in a remote area that is easy and quick to get to a bigger town. I actually need more than a clinic. I need a neuro center. Can you recommend any remote areas, on a body of freshwater, that isn't far from a bigger town/city? I know this may be asking a lot, but we don't necessarily need to be somewhere for a job which is nice. We are also looking at the possibility of purchasing a home instead of renting.
This may happen as soon as January so I'm trying to at least get an area in mind.
Again, thank you for all of the help!
The thing bolded above is why there is confusion. You said nothing in your original posts about a "leisurely road trip through the Southern States eventually winding up in Maine in March or April". See, that is an entirely different animal from asking about Maine, Allagash specifically, happening "as soon as January".

People are falling all over themselves helping you with this protracted thought experiment, but maybe you should say your plans are morphing, unclear, and really at this point just a long meander through google images.

What I meant about practicing tolerance yourself is that you say you want peace and tranquility (don't remember your exact phrase), yet you seem awfully quick to jump to an offended posture when presented with a dose of caffeinated reality. Everyone on here is saying the same thing I am, but yet, you think my posts are 'rude' or whatever. You can, I do not mind at all being singled out.

Further, what in the world is this -- "That's why I kept saying that we would stay at places for a while and visit with the townspeople." What do you assume will happen as you trundle around the United States in your RV -- that you will sit around with folksy folks spinning hometown wisdom over flapjacks? While that may happen a little, far more likely is that you will spend your time with other people doing the same thing as you -- vagabonding in RVs, from one RV park to another, alternatively parking at the Walmart and the KOA. Unless you plan on trailing with a car, you are stuck with the RV, and where it can be parked. Not a bad thing, but something to consider.

I get a little creepsy when people think of New England, and Maine in particular, as an extended Non Sequitur comic, or Empire Falls, or Murder She Wrote or any other twee cultural reference. Life and people here are tough and hardy and in general take very little time with self-conscious quaintness (although down here on Coastal York Cty., well...). Most of the Mainers I know are vigorous, crafty, no-nonsense people with a wicked pissah sense of humah (all the Mainers on the list just went "stop it with the patois, bird"), who spend an inordinate amount of time dwelling on dealing with winter. In other words, I like it very much. I hope you will too. But seriously, somebody needs to chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine