Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:27 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,368,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Conservatives traditionally do better on the odd years, nationally. Fewer people come out to vote, not as much competition...

It was repealed in 2009, later reversed in 2012. Has nothing to do with "pushy" and not sure what it has to do with the conversation.
The first vote showed the rural vote can be quite conservative when the voter turnout is there against a very in your face liberal agenda. The liberals don't have enough votes on their own if the voter turnout in the rural areas is good. The second vote I feel went the way it did because of a more tactful campaign by the gay marriage supporters and the conservatives in ME are more of a libertarian conservative tradition. They might have voted in favor of it the first time (clearly many of the same people who voted against it voted for it the second time) if not for the confrontational, hateful and arrogant attitudes of the liberals promoting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:20 AM

109 posts, read 197,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Depends on how you look at Maine. Southern Maine has more population and if far more liberal. While MAINE that part of the state located north of Bangor is more self sufficient thus leans more right. Portland open carry a firearm the police will harass you even though it is legal. Up here you can walk down the road with a handgun on you;re side and a rifle on your shoulder and nobody will give you a second look. Those on the dole tend to gather together on mass thus gain political power. Live off welfare and you vote for the hand that feeds you.

Right on the money!!!
If there were no welfare here, Maine would be 75% Libertarian.(opinion)
Welfare benefits guarantee a democrat majority vote. Typically, city dwellers vote liberal to have everyone else pay for their problems, i.e. waste-water-treatment, school sports funding, crime, & more.

Most people I associate with don't care what others do on their property and want others to leave them alone! Isn't that the gist of being Libertarian?

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,975,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
Right on the money!!!
If there were no welfare here, Maine would be 75% Libertarian.(opinion)
Welfare benefits guarantee a democrat majority vote. Typically, city dwellers vote liberal to have everyone else pay for their problems, i.e. waste-water-treatment, school sports funding, crime, & more.

Most people I associate with don't care what others do on their property and want others to leave them alone! Isn't that the gist of being Libertarian?
You're explaining a lot of conservatives from my hometown in Maine, too.

There's what... 1.3 million people in the state? They're all taking something.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,184,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
... Most people I associate with don't care what others do on their property and want others to leave them alone! Isn't that the gist of being Libertarian?
Well, kinda. A libertarian doesn't believe in a large centralized government that is all powerful (like we have now). They are more into states rights, personal liberty, constitutionalist, etc. It isn't a personality type, but a political point of view.

And btw, no one cares what their neighbor does on their property until they want to put a large pig farm, or dynamite factory next to YOUR house. Then people seem to care for some reason.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM

9,639 posts, read 5,975,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, kinda. A libertarian doesn't believe in a large centralized government that is all powerful (like we have now). They are more into states rights, personal liberty, constitutionalist, etc. It isn't a personality type, but a political point of view.

And btw, no one cares what their neighbor does on their property until they want to put a large pig farm, or dynamite factory next to YOUR house. Then people seem to care for some reason.
Real libertarians are easily confused with fake libertarians.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM

23,318 posts, read 17,001,523 times
Maine is a mixed bag. A place where supressors/silencers and fully automatic guns are legal with a federal stamp, easy to get a carry permits, no cased gun laws and yet the college campuses and surrounding neighborhoods were a sea of obama stickers. ME can be anything you perceive it to be and you'd be partially right.

I like the live and let live attitude and general lack of concern with status.

Maine has a large unitarian congregation, with a seminary in Bangor, which supports social justice and other liberal causes. Knowing an emiritous reverend and several members, I get the impression the organization is very liberal in outlook. Secular and embraces liberal causes.

Maine passed a same day voter registration in 1973 and rejected a 2 day waiting period.

Biased media such as this, suggests a liberal character "AUGUSTA, Maine — A growing trend by states to restrict voters' rights has brought a backlash in Maine, where an upcoming "people's veto" referendum seeks to restore same-day voter registration."

It would be very easy to start a ruckus if you talk politics to strangers north of the Piscataqua. You never know who you are talking to/posting, despite appearances. Like the 'three men from indostan' all blind and describing what they perceive an elephant to be, ME is that elephant and valid for individual opinion.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:54 PM

893 posts, read 1,201,825 times
I think using terms like "liberal" and "conservative" don't make sense any more.

There are essentially 3 types of people:

-People who support some civil rights and support the "welfare state" (welfare-liberals)

-People who support different civil rights and support the "warfare state" (warfare-liberals)

-People who support ALL civil rights and do NOT support either welfare nor warfare states (guess )

The first group are Democrats, the second group are Republicans, and the third group are Libertarians.

I would say that Maine has a lot of people who seem like they support all civil rights (both gun rights and gay marriage for example - two rights that Democrats/Republicans choose to only support one or the other) BUT a vast majority of "Mainers" depend on the welfare system to live off of, so they vote Democrat to protect their own interests rather than vote for "what's right". :/

If something could be done to reduce the amount of poverty in this state, I think it would start to lean much more towards Libertarian. How to do that though?

Old 09-26-2013, 10:23 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
I find it hard to find an individual who can identify themselves with one particular political view let alone a whole state..

Not to mention the parties have changed over the years too changing their platforms.. Politicians who have no allegiance accept to be elected and reelected stand on what ever platform will support that and people in general tend to vote for their own benefit and support what they feel will help them in the instant matter!

I consider myself Libertarian because I "generally" lean for less government but I am hardly a full supporter of the Libertarian platform..

Old 09-28-2013, 04:25 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,184,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post

If something could be done to reduce the amount of poverty in this state, I think it would start to lean much more towards Libertarian. How to do that though?
Well, if you are thinking that the government can do that, then you aren't a libertarian. If you're thinking that if the government got out of the way free enterprise could do it, you are.

Last edited by bangorme; 09-28-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 06:56 PM

29 posts, read 37,875 times
Depends on the area. I went to school in a county that is roughly half and half, I lived in an area that was formerly conservative, but is now leaning towards more liberal views. I'm from a very liberal town, but I consider myself a libertarian. I find that the older Mainers are more conservative, but the individuals my dad likes to call 'the visiting flatlanders that decided to stay' are very much more liberal-leaning.

Libertarians are a different kind of fruit completely, most of Maine just falls under the Democrat category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine