Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM

837 posts, read 1,225,439 times

Advertisements

How is it? Does everything close down after Labor Day?

It's been decades since the last time I was up that way. Later this week my husband and I are taking a much-needed mini vacation, and both of us thought of OOB off the bat.

Any motel recommendations? We'll have our two dogs (Siberian husky and our old Aussie Shepard) with us. I've been going through Trip Advisor and reading the comments about the two (I gather) largest motels that allow them. We're on a fairly strict budget, so the "name" hotels closer to Portland/Saco/Scarborough are out of the question.

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 04:27 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,939 times
With the dogs, I doubt it. Try airbnb.

OOB in the off season is really fun and has a desolate feeling. I like it much better. There is hardly anyone around. It's like the Twilight Zone.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:36 PM

506 posts, read 683,758 times
There's some stuff open on weekends through Columbus Day weekend.......after that, forget it.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:31 PM

48,125 posts, read 21,999,038 times
My son lived in OOB the first winter he and his wife lived in Maine....it was desolate; they had a beautiful aptmt overlooking the ocean...with an indoor swimming pool......It was pretty sweet. But it was a shut down tourist town.....in proximity to Portland. It had a certain charm and they loved it.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM

747 posts, read 839,074 times
I rented an oceanfront condo at OOB during the month of February a few winters ago when I had a few weeks off from work. My plan was to make day trips to downhill ski areas during the week and re-explore the coast on the weekends. It turned out to be a perfect plan. I absolutely loved my solitary walks down the beach at that time of year. I found an endless amount of things to do.
I'm now considering buying a condo there to use in the winter and rent out the rest of the year.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM

506 posts, read 683,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I rented an oceanfront condo at OOB during the month of February a few winters ago when I had a few weeks off from work. My plan was to make day trips to downhill ski areas during the week and re-explore the coast on the weekends. It turned out to be a perfect plan. I absolutely loved my solitary walks down the beach at that time of year. I found an endless amount of things to do.
I'm now considering buying a condo there to use in the winter and rent out the rest of the year.
Great idea!

Old 05-27-2018, 03:35 PM

43 posts, read 54,445 times
Are the restairants mostly open foe Memorial Day weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine