Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 04:43 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
You won't need to buy a $wheel drive vehicle, however all wheel drive can be useful.....many get buy with front wheel drive vehicles....how ever you will want to buy a set of snow tires. This will be your first experiences driving on snow in a while, so its best to get the snows or even studded snows. That can all happen once you get here. You rotate them on you car in octoberish and the studdeds have to be off by May 1st. I'll Pm you and send you a few snow pictures, I love less than a mile from the coast.

Okay, but where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 06:31 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
I'm not one to have a comprehensive ability to harness all my questions at once so it tends to come in piece mill. So my questions may be spread out and I apologize for that. Here's this question:

Will I need to buy a four wheel drive, and also would it be prudent to by a snowmobile if I move there? Thank you.
If you plan to live down 10-miles of gravel road, then you may need 4WD. Nearly all paved roads are plowed quickly after each storm, in our experience, we have never seen need for 4WD or AWD on paved road in Maine.

We drive Front-WD with studded tires and it works great.

On the other hand, just like in California, there are folks who love off-roading. If your into off-roading, then obviously you will need 4WD.

All Maine towns are linked by a HUGE sled trail network. A year or two after you get here, you may wish to buy a sled to begin exploring Maine more.

Maine winters offer a lot of outdoor activity.

Anyone who is stuck indoors in the winter, is doing it to themselves.

From living in the Sierra Nevadas I have a lot of experience driving with chains on. So far, I have not seen any snow storm in Maine to compare to California snow storms.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:54 PM

114 posts, read 136,395 times
Default submariner

Please forgive my ignorance. When you say sled to an Angelino (L.A) that means a sled like in the Orsen Wells movie; "Rosebud" Do you mean a snowmobile? I can hear the laughter all the way over here on the West Coast from you guys.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
Please forgive my ignorance. When you say sled to an Angelino (L.A) that means a sled like in the Orsen Wells movie; "Rosebud" Do you mean a snowmobile? I can hear the laughter all the way over here on the West Coast from you guys.
Yes, I meant snow-mobile.

They are very common here. Every town is inter-linked by a large network of trails. Access to much of Maine is faster and more direct in winter, because of these trails. Though I would not suggest buying one until after you have spent some time here.

Generally we see one storm each week. Followed by 5 - 6 days of clear sunny skies. It is not dark and over-cast like the PNW, nor like the San Joaquin Valley.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:46 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Yes, snowmobile or snowsled, same thing. I think they're a blast.
Studded snow tires are great; even if you don't have 4 wheel drive. There are people who get by in the winter with just regular all-seasons and two wheel drive. If you don't plan on going out much in the winter, that might get you by.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 PM

114 posts, read 136,395 times
Default Wow. Threw myself out there.....

and none of you mocked me. Got class. I got say that. Thank you. Seriously though, I have no problem with a little mocking, followed by good advice. I appreciate this my future friends; and perhaps neighbors.

grazie'

Old 09-29-2013, 10:30 PM

404 posts, read 777,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Okay, but where do you live?
I believe the headding of my post says where I live, Just over the bridge from portland, However I'm often up in the bangor area even in winter visiting family. Not sure if you were trying to imply something or simply ask.....rather than assume I'll just play dumb and figure you didn't know that where people live is on their post heading.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:20 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrixwolfe View Post
I believe the headding of my post says where I live, Just over the bridge from portland, However I'm often up in the bangor area even in winter visiting family. Not sure if you were trying to imply something or simply ask.....rather than assume I'll just play dumb and figure you didn't know that where people live is on their post heading.
Your post says that you[b]"LOVE" [b] less than a mile from the coast... I'll let you take it from there.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:38 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,158 times
I agree submariner. I lived in the Sierra Nevada(foothills, about 2200') when I first moved to Ca. First winter we had a 3 foot storm and it totally shut the whole town down for 2 or 3 days! They had trucks to keep 80 open but nothing local! Totally different snow there....much drier usually. I would still be there but the tree huggers shut down the lumber mill I worked at. Remember the spotted owl controversy?

Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I agree submariner. I lived in the Sierra Nevada(foothills, about 2200') when I first moved to Ca. First winter we had a 3 foot storm and it totally shut the whole town down for 2 or 3 days! They had trucks to keep 80 open but nothing local! Totally different snow there....much drier usually. I would still be there but the tree huggers shut down the lumber mill I worked at. Remember the spotted owl controversy?
I thought it was a horny spotted owl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine