Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 03:12 PM

476 posts, read 748,152 times

Advertisements

As we narrow down towns to purchase our home in, we plan on visiting the Town Office with a list of questions regarding the town, it's planning & public works structure, and hopefully the specific property itself.
I'd like some help in developing this "list", and would appreciate input on what questions to ask.
Initially, the items I've got so far:

• Property Taxes/mil rates, and history of % of increases
• Any zoning or land-use restrictions
• Seasonal issues that we may not encounter over the year, such as traffic patterns, special events
• Any planned zoning changes
• Garbage disposal
• Any water Issues, including flooding and general well-water quality

Can anyone suggest other items to inquire about that you may have run into? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:50 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
I'd check out their voting history for the past few years. Some areas give the schools/towns everything they ask for all the time.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Good idea to visit the town office with your Buyer Agent once under contract during your Investigation Review period and review the file to see if the necessary permits have been pulled by the previous owner(s) for improvements as well as compare the data in MLS with what is on file with the town. If any permits are missing, you can request that the current owner pull them and pay any penalties so that you don't have to when it's your time to sell.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM

16 posts, read 24,565 times
Depending on how rural you're going to be, you might want to inquire about road maintenance and see if your street will be plowed in the winter.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Good idea to visit the town office with your Buyer Agent once under contract during your Investigation Review period and review the file to see if the necessary permits have been pulled by the previous owner(s) for improvements as well as compare the data in MLS with what is on file with the town. If any permits are missing, you can request that the current owner pull them and pay any penalties so that you don't have to when it's your time to sell.
Great idea about checking on permits… Thanks! I can see where that has the possibility to become an expensive oversight later on down the road.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I'd check out their voting history for the past few years. Some areas give the schools/towns everything they ask for all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-M View Post
Depending on how rural you're going to be, you might want to inquire about road maintenance and see if your street will be plowed in the winter.
I'll add these to our "list", thank you!

Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Great idea about checking on permits… Thanks! I can see where that has the possibility to become an expensive oversight later on down the road.
Thank you. A smart buyer agent will make sure his/her buyer isn't hit with this when it's their time to sell down the road.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,988 times
Good morning, 221B's...

I love to hear the wheels turning! I don't have much of anything to offer regarding specific questions, but did want to mention that many, not all, Towns have at least a little something posted online, as you likely know, but just in case...for example Owls Head Town Of
WaldoboroMaine.org

I'm not really sure how the ladies at the OH Town office would respond to questions such as those you're asking. They might be willing/able to opine on some things. Larger Towns might have more personnel, and be more able or agreeable to answer queries.

Happy hunting...

Old 10-11-2013, 05:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
You might consider "renting" in the area you plan to buy land in and see if it really is where you want to be. Also if you are very rural you will have to drill an artesian well for water supple and have septic system installed.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:54 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
As you travel round a town there are no signs to tell you when you leave one zone and enter another zone. You need to look at the actual zoning map. Your rights change when you cross that boundary. Many people are completely unaware that they lose rights when they cross one of those invisible lines. Some towns have dozens of different zones and people paid to watch what you do.

Other towns have no zoning. Those towns have no such problems and their citizens are happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: