Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cities are the hunting grounds for criminals- more targets, more money. They can swipe a purse and melt into the crowd, break a window and steal a stereo. Cities are crowded, people often don't know very many other people (compared to a small town where everyone knows everyone), they can walk around without fear of being questioned, their noise blends in with the other noises. Comparitively fewer people are armed and the people are more dependent on the police for their safety (which is an illusion because the cops still aren't going to get there in time) so their risk of getting caught and shot or otherwise injured is lower.
I agree.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Out in the country, people tend to have dogs and guns, which represent high risk.
Especially when the dogs know how to shoot:

Hunting Dog Shoots Man - RealTime

Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,009 times
Quote:
Funny thing was, once the trunk lock was gone, I could put anything in there I wanted and no one would even bother looking.
That is kinda the way I think... I also have a "cloak of invisibility" that I throw over my truck... it doesn't really make it disappear, mind you ... THAT would attract attention! LOL But it's more a misdirection thing -- "old truck... nothing interesting here" feeling that it puts off... so that anyone bent on evil doing would look elsewhere.

So don't park next to me and you should be ok <g>

BTW, here's a funny thing... I once put the invisible whammy on my organizer (in which I was carrying my ID, cash, etc.) and threw it under the seat of my truck 'cause I didn't want to forget it inside the restaurant where I was having lunch with a friend. We were seated where we could see the truck, too. But as it would turn out, they did not take plastic and my friend had not enough cash, so I told him if he would grab the organizer out from under the seat and I would contribute. I sat there and watch him feel around RIGHT where I had put it, even bending down to LOOK under the seat, getting more and more frustrated by the moment. He slammed the truck door and came in very upset, insisting that I did not know where I had left it. And then he was totally confused as he watched me through the window as I went out, opened the door, and without looking, reached in and brought it out as quickly as that. I think he almost had a brain melt-down from that experience, but from then on he never questioned my cloak of invisibility!

BTW, I had not started doing this when the Spring break revelers left the door open...

Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Someone can steal your car <snip> in East Bum Rush Maine
Yeah, and when they drive it down the street and your neighbor (a) realizes you are gone or this is not part of your regular routine and then (b) notices they don't recognize the driver you won't get far.

Living in the boonies, we always knew by the sound whose car was coming and going, and if I didn't recognize the sound -- or if they were late or early -- I would always look up from what I was doing. And I have gotten stopped and questioned when I was driving my uncle's car in the boonies of NE... and even after I had been there for several weeks, when he would send me on errands, heads turned... hesitated... then they would wave.

I would think criminals would prefer the anonymity of the city, myself.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Especially when the dogs know how to shoot:

Hunting Dog Shoots Man - RealTime
I wonder... was his aim good.... or was it an accident? LOL Gives a whole new meaning to the term "hunting dog."

Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times
HI this is my first time here. I lived in Amity and Limestone for a total of 16 years and I can't wait to get back there. I have beening living in GA. 25 miles south of Atlanta. You want crime come down here. It is awful. someone is getting shot and killed everyday.
I will be moving back sometime this summer. Can't wait. peace and quiet

Old 11-20-2007, 12:51 PM

121 posts, read 515,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLIEMCK View Post
HI this is my first time here. I lived in Amity and Limestone for a total of 16 years and I can't wait to get back there. I have beening living in GA. 25 miles south of Atlanta. You want crime come down here. It is awful. someone is getting shot and killed everyday.
I will be moving back sometime this summer. Can't wait. peace and quiet
Hi ELLIEMCK, I didn't realize the crime was that bad in Atlanta. I'm disappointed to hear that. My cousin lives in Buckhead, and another cousin of mine just moved there with his wife.

I live in Tampa myself, and hope to move to Maine within the year. The crime here is terrible. I'm not talking petty theft, or domestic disputes (though we have those). I'm speaking more of murder, rape, grand theft, etc. Those types of stories make headlines more and more here in Florida. I'm sure it's still not as bad as other places in the country, but that's not the point. The less crime I can be around, the better.

Old 11-20-2007, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,071 times
Talk to your relatives that live in Buckhead. when I first moved down here that was one of the most talked about places for crime. The crime has started more south of the city and it is begining to get to close to where I am. It is time to move.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:07 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
Hi Elliemck, welcome to Maine! Even if you're not there yet, it's the intention to be there that counts.

We hope to be joining you heading north across the Kittery bridge sometime next Summer too. We've only been gone 18 months, 1 week and 2 days at this point but that is more than long enough.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,838,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Someone can steal your car and break into your house in East Bum Rush Maine just as much as they can in Portland. In fact it's easier to steal cars out in the boonies because most of the time there are no cops anywhere to be found and by the time we find out your vehicle is gone it's too late. Same thing with home invasions. If I was a criminal I would feel more comfortable breaking into a house that's in the boonies knowing that by the time any cop shows up I could be out of the state or country. Anyone that has had any iota of training in law enforcement will tell you that whether you live in a place that has a population of 6 or 600,000 you should keep your cars and homes locked.
I'll direct message you my address if you think it is so easy to steal my vehicle because I leave it unlocked at night, or break into my house. Just don't complain when I ventilate you a bit, or my dog chews your arm off. East Bum Rush is usually armed and knows how to use it. Sure some vehicle theft will occur anyplace, some B&E's will happen. But not to the same percentage as in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine