Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,241 times

Advertisements

In California, my husband had an ancient ugly car and left the doors unlocked. They stole a cheap plastic cup holder out of it when it was parked in the apartment parking garage. My crappy car was broken into as well. I guess if people are desparate enough they aren't so picky.
We have a big dog that protects our home and family here in North Carolina. She's a lover as long as you aren't a stranger coming up to the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 02:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I'll direct message you my address if you think it is so easy to steal my vehicle because I leave it unlocked at night, or break into my house. Just don't complain when I ventilate you a bit, or my dog chews your arm off. East Bum Rush is usually armed and knows how to use it. Sure some vehicle theft will occur anyplace, some B&E's will happen. But not to the same percentage as in Portland.

US COUNTRY FOLK DONT TAKE KINDLY TO B&E OR STEALIN.
VENTILATE FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER.
AND MOST THIEVS NO THIS "ACSEPT THE DUMB ONES " BUT THEY LEARN FAST.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:06 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
US COUNTRY FOLK DONT TAKE KINDLY TO B&E OR STEALIN.
VENTILATE FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER.
AND MOST THIEVS NO THIS "ACSEPT THE DUMB ONES " BUT THEY LEARN FAST.
there's a reason why maine has one of the highest gun rates per capita and lowest crime rate

Old 11-20-2007, 03:23 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
East Bum Rush. hmmm... I had to look it up on the Gazetteer. It's the local name for Safer Civilized Living. <smacking forehead> I knew it sounded familiar!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We lock our vehicles though in town during August. If you don't, when you come back out you'll find your back seat full of zucchini.
Laughing out loud... Thanks!

Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Laughing out loud....!
You can laugh now but really, don't forget to put the windows up and lock the doors.

Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM

66 posts, read 320,181 times
Default Yes I did

It's been a long time since I lived in Maine.

But when I did, in the depth of winter, I had to start my car 30 minutes before I got into it -everyday.

It was never stolen, but there is nothing quite like getting into a freezing car!

Old 11-21-2007, 05:37 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You can laugh now but really, don't forget to put the windows up and lock the doors.
or develop a REAL taste for zucchini bread <g>

Actually if I am not up there by next summer, you can just stick a stamp on 'em and send them south... I can't get them to grow in this poor, sandy excuse for soil! Seriously. I have gardened north to south, east to west and in the middle... high altitude and low... and this is the ONLY place I have ever had trouble. nothing wants to grow...

Old 11-22-2007, 05:46 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,519,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Someone can steal your car and break into your house in East Bum Rush Maine just as much as they can in Portland. In fact it's easier to steal cars out in the boonies because most of the time there are no cops anywhere to be found and by the time we find out your vehicle is gone it's too late. Same thing with home invasions. If I was a criminal I would feel more comfortable breaking into a house that's in the boonies knowing that by the time any cop shows up I could be out of the state or country. Anyone that has had any iota of training in law enforcement will tell you that whether you live in a place that has a population of 6 or 600,000 you should keep your cars and homes locked.
So please explain.. why my car has not had a problem where I live now, but when we lived in a more metro area...hubby's was locked, glasas smashed and stereo stolen..incluuding speakers being ripped out of side panels. Just sayin'

Old 11-22-2007, 07:53 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Default Adobe Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
or develop a REAL taste for zucchini bread <g>

Actually if I am not up there by next summer, you can just stick a stamp on 'em and send them south... I can't get them to grow in this poor, sandy excuse for soil! Seriously. I have gardened north to south, east to west and in the middle... high altitude and low... and this is the ONLY place I have ever had trouble. nothing wants to grow...
You should try to grow in adobe clay soil , it is one of the things I dislike the most about California. It hardens up like a brick until you add water and then it is slick and slippery and ten pounds of it clumps on your shoes like huge cement weights. I know California grows much of the food for the country, but I couldn't grow a tomato. (Back east I was a pretty experienced gardner.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine