Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 06:05 PM

74 posts, read 147,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Meanwhile, on the other side of the brook, New Brunswick is mapping their oil shale fields. MIlitary snipers set up in a blueberry field. MicMac women surrounded the snipers and said, "Are you goiung to shoot us?" the snipers siad, "No." The women said, "Then why don't you just go home to breakfast? " The troops left and the natives then burned six police cars. It's on the video.

New Brunswick shale gas protests | Warrior Publications
Oh, dear Lord. So you mean New Brunswick is all set to frack? Oh no oh no.

What would this mean for northern Maine?

Please no one take this as political. You just don't know what it's like until you're living in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:00 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
The areas they are looking at in New Brunswick are on the eastern side, quite a ways from Maine.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:45 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
I spent last week in Denver visiting with family. One of them is a big shot for one of the major oil service companies. We had quite a good conversation about the oil play in S. Dakota and how fracking is done. No, they won't tell you what's in their fracking fluid because it's a competitive world. Suffice to say, it's basically a major ingredient of jello, water and sand. Pretty much could drink it right out of the tanker. In the old days there were bad chemicals included...not now. And as for your water burning...the longest crack created by fracking is about 250 ft. If the rock is cracked 3 to 6 miles below ground by 250 ft, don't worry too much about it. I think you will be fine! Meanwhile...take your retirement, head to the Dakota's and build some housing units. The company I'm speaking of keeps 20 one room apartments in S Dakota at a cost of $3200 a month for each.
As for Maine, the rock under most of inland Maine was once Sedimentary and included hydrocarbons, but all the turmoil that created the Appalachians created a lot of Metamorphic rock and the hydrocarbons were cooked away. Not so off the Coast of Maine, but we will never see that developed in our life times.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:09 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
Quote:
Meanwhile, on the other side of the brook, New Brunswick is mapping their oil shale fields.
Hardly the "other side of the brook." More like the other side of the province, Rexton is on the Gulf of St. Lawrence, about 200 miles from the Maine border. They've looked at areas closer to Maine, between St. Stephen and St. John, but nothing's come of them yet.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I spent last week in Denver visiting with family. One of them is a big shot for one of the major oil service companies. We had quite a good conversation about the oil play in S. Dakota and how fracking is done. No, they won't tell you what's in their fracking fluid because it's a competitive world. Suffice to say, it's basically a major ingredient of jello, water and sand. Pretty much could drink it right out of the tanker. In the old days there were bad chemicals included...not now. And as for your water burning...the longest crack created by fracking is about 250 ft. If the rock is cracked 3 to 6 miles below ground by 250 ft, don't worry too much about it. I think you will be fine! Meanwhile...take your retirement, head to the Dakota's and build some housing units. The company I'm speaking of keeps 20 one room apartments in S Dakota at a cost of $3200 a month for each.
As for Maine, the rock under most of inland Maine was once Sedimentary and included hydrocarbons, but all the turmoil that created the Appalachians created a lot of Metamorphic rock and the hydrocarbons were cooked away. Not so off the Coast of Maine, but we will never see that developed in our life times.
I'm not sure exactly what your first paragraph is about, and not to get off-topic, but if I were rich enough to develop real estate, I wouldn't do it with an eye to getting richer off the pay of transient fuel industry workers or for that matter getting richer off of anyone else. Just a personal belief I'll drop right now.

But thank you for the second paragraph. Here in Pennsylvania, tourism has taken a major hit in the areas that once were picture-postcard towns, written up in travel magazines. I wrote on another thread about moving to one of those towns back in the 90's. That town was so snooty it actively took steps to exclude itself from being advertised as belonging to our region (Northeastern Pennsylvania). It consistently ranked in the top ten places in the nation for cyclists, white-water rafting, clean air. Natives talked about us flatlanders as if we were illegal aliens. Well, this autumn, that same, fracked town spent at least a million dollars on television advertising trying to get us Great Unwashed to visit for the fall foliage.

I hadn't been back in nearly ten years but returned recently. I took the most remote roads in the area specifically to see the effects of fracking. Huge horizontal white pipes all over the countryside, like nineteenth-century knob-and tube telephone poles, will never help tourism. Strip-mining here in Pennsylvania destroyed most of the state in the early twentieth century. Those areas that escaped strip-mining are now fracked. The gold rush of the mid-00's was succeeded by drinking water you could set on fire, but maybe even worse is (pardon the sexist term; I really can't think of another, and I am female) the feeling that the state has been raped once too often.

It has a fatigued feeling I don't think most states can match. Detroit is only one city in Michigan, and I pray that that state doesn't do what Pennsylvanians did. All states need a good self-image. It's why everyone wants to come to Maine, because Maine still has a good self-image.

Last edited by The Hillmeister; 10-27-2013 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: No Ma Bell in the "18-th" Century!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:20 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
This whole thread seems to be a thinly disguised propaganda campaign against fracking (which has absolutely nothing to do with Maine). Or a troll for short.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
This whole thread seems to be a thinly disguised propaganda campaign against fracking (which has absolutely nothing to do with Maine). Or a troll for short.
It isn't, at least not on my part. I'm a late-50-ish person who labored like an ox yesterday finalizing packing for a move to your state. I do not apologize for 1) not knowing intimately Maine's geophysical composition, and posting a question about it; or 2) using due diligence while I prepare for what will almost certainly be the final relocation of my life. The idea of asking about New Brunswick's plans never entered my mind, and I am very grateful for the various responses that have helped clarify that issue.

Have a good day.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:49 AM

973 posts, read 2,381,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hillmeister View Post

I hadn't been back in nearly ten years but returned recently. I took the most remote roads in the area specifically to see the effects of fracking. Huge horizontal white pipes all over the countryside, like nineteenth-century knob-and tube telephone poles, will never help tourism.
Not sure how a pipe line to move product is confused with fracking, but such is life. I agree, this thread seems to be an advertisement, not someone seriously inquiring about Maine. A word to the wise if you really are interested in Maine. Locals do not like to have those "from away" come here and tell us what we should believe in, what we should like and how we should act. Just sayin...There is an endless cycle of those folks. They only stay a year or two usually on average.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Not sure how a pipe line to move product is confused with fracking, but such is life. I agree, this thread seems to be an advertisement, not someone seriously inquiring about Maine. A word to the wise if you really are interested in Maine. Locals do not like to have those "from away" come here and tell us what we should believe in, what we should like and how we should act. Just sayin...There is an endless cycle of those folks. They only stay a year or two usually on average.
Thank you for the heartfelt warning. I wasn't aware that your state had an official platform on the issue. Now I am.

Have a good day.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:00 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hillmeister View Post
It isn't, at least not on my part. I'm a late-50-ish person who labored like an ox yesterday finalizing packing for a move to your state. I do not apologize for 1) not knowing intimately Maine's geophysical composition, and posting a question about it; or 2) using due diligence while I prepare for what will almost certainly be the final relocation of my life. The idea of asking about New Brunswick's plans never entered my mind, and I am very grateful for the various responses that have helped clarify that issue.

Have a good day.
I've posted in this thread myself, and found some of the scientific information about Maine interesting. But, the OP is what I said it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine