Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:01 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times

Advertisements

Well then.

I am clearly not a "native hick".

And I am not a "pseudo hick [elitist yuppie enviro transplants]".

So I guess that I am simply a Maine resident Forest Beekeeper.

Who does other things too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM

6,295 posts, read 11,005,087 times
Compared to the people living in the Kansas City area? Nope.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,925 times

this is me and my youngest hick he was 5 in this pic

Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
There are days as a farmer I feel like a hick. Customers showed up last week. We're not open yet so I was unprepared for customers. I had a stained apron on over a stained tank top and stained jeans (no holes in that pair!), no shoes, wild hair thanks to the wind, and wearing half the soil I'd touched so far that day. The customers? Business ladies dressed to the hilt. To add to the hickdomness of this place, the 100 lb lab went for a swim while they were here then decided he'd like to be pet. Good thing he listens well. If this was a qualifying test, I passed with flying colors.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 AM

278 posts, read 697,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
A genuine Maine hick was originally someone who grew up in a very rural part of the state, had limited education, no more than about 8th grade or less,...
In regards to having limited education, I do not mean to imply that these hicks were stupid and couldn't go any further - no, the deal was that the jobs they were going to be doing - cutting trees, farming, fishing, etc. - didn't require "advanced" education, and there was always financial pressure on the families to get everyone, especially the boys, out and working ASAP. Later, when the mills came along, many boys and some girls left school after finishing the 9th grade to work in the mills. Again, most of these jobs didn't require "higher" or "advanced" education, so why bother? So, having a "limited" education didn't necessarily mean a hick was stupid, but I guess one could say it didn't mean you were real smart, either. Those few who clearly were talented academically could continue on through a variety of higher educational institutions, but it was far from the modern expectation that EVERYONE (or close to it) get a college degree.

Last edited by 7th generation; 05-15-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
There are days as a farmer I feel like a hick. Customers showed up last week. We're not open yet so I was unprepared for customers. I had a stained apron on over a stained tank top and stained jeans (no holes in that pair!), no shoes, wild hair thanks to the wind, and wearing half the soil I'd touched so far that day. The customers? Business ladies dressed to the hilt. To add to the hickdomness of this place, the 100 lb lab went for a swim while they were here then decided he'd like to be pet. Good thing he listens well. If this was a qualifying test, I passed with flying colors.
Well perhaps they knew you were a "real farmer", on account of the fact that they could see evidences of it. Now, when you know "company" is coming, that is one thing, but as an artist, I never apologize for being spattered with paint especially when someone shows up unexpectedly.

I think it added to the human interest, connection to the earth part of farming. you obviously were not an agribusiness in the sense of Green Giant and the like... I often wonder if those commercial products ever see the soil! LOL

Old 05-15-2008, 12:40 PM

Default And furthermore,

Quote:
In regards to having limited education, I do not mean to imply that these hicks were stupid and couldn't go any further - no, the deal was that the jobs they were going to be doing - cutting trees, farming, fishing, etc. - didn't require "advanced" education, and there was always financial pressure on the families to get everyone, especially the boys, out and working ASAP.
This is the crucible that shaped the modern day Maine hick, as we know him/her. They like Allen's liquid panty remover and since the culture they emerged from didn't put heavy emphasis on (advanced) education, they can't get jobs that pay much above minimum wage, and so now they drink Allen's, sniff meth, etc., and vote Democrat in order to preserve their sorry lifestyle.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

And I am not a "pseudo hick [elitist yuppie enviro transplants]".
I believe you are using contradictory terms: "hick" & "elitist yuppie". The species you are referring to, "elitist yuppies", general live in (have moved to) the lower 2/3 of the Maine coast; they would, for various social reasons, resist being called hicks.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
You use a broad brush to paint a steriotypical picture of a group of individuals. Many "townies" or "hicks" as you may refer to them are hardworking, honest, simple people. "They" don't all drink, smoke or recieve any type of aid. "They" are too independent and in many cases would far rather go without than ask for help. "They" don't build "McMansions", drive flashy vehicles or fly off on luxery vacations using the money they took from their home equity. Mainer's (or Maine-Iacs ) will plant a bigger garden, and tighten their belts to pay their bills.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
I believe you are using contradictory terms: "hick" & "elitist yuppie". The species you are referring to, "elitist yuppies", general live in (have moved to) the lower 2/3 of the Maine coast; they would, for various social reasons, resist being called hicks.
Well I do have a bit of education, I am from away, I believe that I am living a somewhat 'hick' lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine