Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:30 PM

582 posts, read 779,134 times

Advertisements

That's good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 04:41 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Maine has some of the best laws regarding liability. If you cross my land that is posted and are injured-you are responsible. If you cross my property with permission and get hurt-you are responsible. If I invite you to hike along with me on my land and you get hurt-you are responsible.
We want people to enjoy the state but don't throw a lawsuit at us.
Because of these laws, it is safe for me [a land-owner] to allow others onto my land: to cut firewood for themselves, to tip firs, to trap or hunt.

Otherwise it would be like most other states where nobody is allowed on private land, for fear of law suits.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Sporting dogs may be trained on wild
birds (does not include wild turkey) at any
time. The commissioner may authorize
the use of firearms during such training
to shoot and kill wild birds propagated
or legally acquired by the permittee and possessed in accordance with the laws
pertaining to breeders licenses

Maine Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Hunting And Trapping handbook

Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 AM

393 posts, read 981,950 times
Nice article in today's paper on trapping:
Rising pelt prices mean more traps on Maine trails | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
A very fair and reasoned article. Very rare to see on this issue.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:44 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
This is important to remember.

Quote:
When populations get too dense, diseases like mange and rabies can spread and competition for food can push them into conflicts with people.

I hear a lot of "nature will take care of itself," and that's true. I'm in favor of that in some instances. A foot in a trap followed by an immediate death is more humane than starvation and disease, also know as nature taking care of itself.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
This is important to remember.

I hear a lot of "nature will take care of itself," and that's true. I'm in favor of that in some instances. A foot in a trap followed by an immediate death is more humane than starvation and disease, also know as nature taking care of itself.
True, but it is amazing how many people think hamburger comes from a hamburger tree and that animals usually die from old age in the wild.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:38 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
My vet reports that several dogs have come in just in the lat week with injuries from traps. i suppose I have to think of it as a predictable hazard like wire fences and broken glass. I just don't want to see my best hunting companion injured. Too bad there can't be public warning notices visible in the general area of set traps.
There are lots of private land tracts in Maine where pedestrian recreation is not limited to "permission only". That is why the law is so liberal for the protection of landowners from undue liabilities from general recreational usage. So the odds are high that dog walkers and trappers would be sharing the same trails.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
My vet reports that several dogs have come in just in the lat week with injuries from traps. i suppose I have to think of it as a predictable hazard like wire fences and broken glass. I just don't want to see my best hunting companion injured. Too bad there can't be public warning notices visible in the general area of set traps.
There are lots of private land tracts in Maine where pedestrian recreation is not limited to "permission only". That is why the law is so liberal for the protection of landowners from undue liabilities from general recreational usage. So the odds are high that dog walkers and trappers would be sharing the same trails.
I can't think of a really good way to protect hunting dogs from traps. They are sharing the same space as the coyotes and there is just no way to teach the traps how to make the distinction. However, I don't think trappers should be allowed to set traps within five feet of walking trails. That would protect responsible pet owners. But I guess it would have to be designated walking trails, because game trails are all through the woods.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM

625 posts, read 792,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
No it isn't. I'm pro-trapping, but no trapper should be placing traps on trails (or within a foot of one) unless they own the property and have posted it. Even a dog on leash can be a foot off the trail.
In Maine the law says the trap was legal. The owner of a dog in Maine must have CONTROL or their animals at all times when not on their personal property. Thus the only person to blame is the lady who did not leash her dog. I take my dog with me to check traps all the time. She has never been caught in a trap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine