Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,335 times

Advertisements

I am just curios to know what people on this forum do for work. It seems that jobs are very hard to come by in Maine.

Reading through the threads there seems to be those of you that are retired, some professionals that commute, some people that work at home.

I'm interested to know as there doesn't seem to be many blue collared type folks. We have been planning our move to Maine for years now but the one thing anchoring us to NH is the availability of jobs.

Where does a farm family of 6 live and work? We don't need much (as we won't have a mortgage and are pretty self sufficient) but we will still need to have some kind of income. What should we expect for wages? We have been mostly concentrating on North West (but within a commuting distance)
of Bangor.

I'm a carpenter and DW is a CNA - though we would both be happy do most anything and are well rounded with skills. Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 07:14 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
hi there! I don't know what CNAs are currently making in Maine, but I do know that there does seem to be a big need for them right now. As a carpenter I think you can definitely make a decent wage, and better as your name gets around, but the key is quality and integrity. I work from home part-time....and right now I also babysit for a friend of mine a few days a weeks while she works. I am a teacher, and have a background in social services, but honestly I just want to do something different. I'd love to start a small business, and I'm trying to figure out how to do that. My husband is in management at the local hospital. I have 4 children, a senior, a junior, a freshman, and a 3rd grader. He has 3 grown children, 2 are teachers, and one is a manager at a Lowe's. I've worked with families for a long time, and one thing that I've seen over and over is that if you are willing to work, and are honest, you will be able to find something to bring income to your household. Good luck and best wishes

Old 11-21-2007, 07:30 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,034 times
I agree with Molly, you and your wife should not have a problem finding work.
I am the keeper of the zoo so to speak. My fulltime job is raising my 3 yr old grandson.
My husband is a field service tech with the Caterpillar dealer in Scarborough.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:43 AM

Thanks Mollysmiles!
We too would like to start a small business. We've been thinking about a very complete at home service provider for seniors. DW would handle bathing, cleaning, laundry, med reminder, general errand running and I would do the house and grounds maintenance, repairs, alterations.
I was sure that a honest hardworking individual could find employment but it's just nice to hear someone else say so. God bless and many thanks for your posting on this thread and hundreds more I've read.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I agree with Molly, you and your wife should not have a problem finding work.
I am the keeper of the zoo so to speak. My fulltime job is raising my 3 yr old grandson.
My husband is a field service tech with the Caterpillar dealer in Scarborough.
Thank you also Alison. My step dad retired from south-worth Milton Caterpillar here in Contoocook NH. I have several friends who work there now.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,971,311 times
While I am a retired insurance agent, I still maintain my insurance license. We will be moving to Eastport in just a little over 2 years when hubby retires from the state. He is a computer techie for the Dept. of Administration. Years ago in anticipation of retirement, he took all the classes and tests and is also now a licensed electrician. He has already done some help jobs in Eastport during his vacations. He can't do it for money up there as his license has to be transferred to Maine and that's a couple of years away.

Instead he uses the barter system. He rewired a garage for someone in Eastport who was a mason and they rebuilt our chimney. I like that so much. He rewired a double parlor for another neighbor and they in turn mow our grass after we leave and before we get back. Now that's what I call neighbor helping neighbor with no other thought than using those particular skills the a person has and can use.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
While I am a retired insurance agent, I still maintain my insurance license. We will be moving to Eastport in just a little over 2 years when hubby retires from the state. He is a computer techie for the Dept. of Administration. Years ago in anticipation of retirement, he took all the classes and tests and is also now a licensed electrician. He has already done some help jobs in Eastport during his vacations. He can't do it for money up there as his license has to be transferred to Maine and that's a couple of years away.

Instead he uses the barter system. He rewired a garage for someone in Eastport who was a mason and they rebuilt our chimney. I like that so much. He rewired a double parlor for another neighbor and they in turn mow our grass after we leave and before we get back. Now that's what I call neighbor helping neighbor with no other thought than using those particular skills the a person has and can use.
I love to barter. Very neighborly and no taxes!

Old 11-21-2007, 09:12 AM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
I look for jobs for work, but I dont get paid for it. Been looking for 7 months. Kinda sucks.

Unemployed.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:34 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,567 times
DH has always been in outside sales, which is why we left Maine. No full time jobs left that pay anything. I stopped working 5+ years ago due to a disability that I can't collect disability for. That is one of the problems with Maine. I absolutely cannot work but, well, never mind.

We are hoping to eventually start a business when we return next year. Time will tell.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
Oops! I completely posted this to the wrong thread!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine