Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:48 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times

Advertisements

The bonds usually do pass but who knows this time it may be different and a couple of them may be rejected. If they pass, it won't matter much for awhile anyway, as our present Govenor won't release the money. Go to the pols and VOTE. Many go when it is a Presidental election but negrlect to realize that your local council and school boards have a more direct effect on your local city or town and your real estate taxes.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
maine seems to pass most all bonds...

dont know why,,,but we do..
It is clear why the bonds will pass this time. No one cares enough to vote NO. Not voting is a YES vote.

In a situation where participation is low, any motivated minority can muster enough votes to pass anything and bind the majority to an unwanted obligation.

Re the 2013 election.......

"Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap predicted that turnout will be in the range of 15 percent to 25 percent of Maine’s voting age population. The lowest that he could recall was 13 percent."

Abstention counts as a vote! If you do not go to the polls to cast a vote, you, by default, vote to approve all the bonds.

Too bad.

What else did you vote to approve by staying home?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:44 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
If you re-read what #3 will be used for, aviation & rail being the last listed will receive the majority of the money. Both are PRIVATE businesses!

In any case, can we afford 100 MILLION dollars with an empty bank account?
Just like the 90 million dollars we spent on walk-paths for a few... paid for by the majority of Mainers...
Or ALL Mainers paying for Portland's sewer issues a few years back...
Or All Mainers paying for the rehab of Lewiston/Auburn...

Would you take money out of your wallet to pay for your neighbor to live better with no benefit to you???
Links to support the contention at the top of your post?

As to the last contention -- that's a false dichotomy.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:10 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
The day after the battles at Lexington and Concord, John Adams walked Battle Road and viewed the carnage. He wrote to his wife, Abigail; "Posterity will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."

U.S. President John Adams became the first president to live in the White House when he moved in 213 years ago today. The building was cold, damp and still unfinished. His wife Abigail, who would join him 15 days later, famously hung their laundry to dry in the East Room. On Adams’ second day in the house, he wrote to his wife, “I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this House, and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.” Teddy Roosevelt later had those words carved into the mantle in the State Dining Room.

How far we have fallen. When John Adams resided there we had no federal watchdogs checking everybody who embarked or disembarked aboard ships and today we have a pathological liar residing in the White House.

Don't forget to vote. In our town, many of the elders dress in their Sunday best to come and vote. They regard it as a sacred duty as our forebears did.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:31 PM

114 posts, read 136,395 times
Default Not fair........

Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
You are right Mainebrokerman. I think it's because the state is mostly Democrat/Progressive......spend, spend, spend.

Last week I asked a political question and it was deleted because it was political and not for this forum. Anyways talk about taxes, move here to California and see about 40% of your income taxed on various bonds and issues. If we move there I hope it isn't as bad as here.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:40 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I voted no on all the state bonds, and no on all the local ones except for the one to allow libraries in Bar Harbor Village, so that the library could expand, and the ones that defined some things that needed defining. The Library existed before zoning.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:56 PM

109 posts, read 198,832 times
I have been voting 36 years now, since long before "links".
Things that **** me off tend to stick in my memory. It is a pattern of behavior & the way this crap is worded on the ballot, as well as my observations as to where the majority of bond money goes... to the last things listed on the ballot.

And even a person who uses six dollar words understood my post! Makes me proud, yep... dang proud.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:55 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
I have been voting 36 years now, since long before "links".
Things that **** me off tend to stick in my memory. It is a pattern of behavior & the way this crap is worded on the ballot, as well as my observations as to where the majority of bond money goes... to the last things listed on the ballot.

And even a person who uses six dollar words understood my post! Makes me proud, yep... dang proud.
I've been voting for 46 years. My vote is usually the kiss of death for any candidate or any proposal. And when it wasn't I usually wished that it had been. An exception was when I voted for Brian Hubbel locally for Representative. He's a great guy and a good rep and I'm glad he got in. But he is an exception to the Slyfox Rule of Kiss of Death Voting.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:25 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parducci View Post
Last week I asked a political question and it was deleted because it was political and not for this forum. Anyways talk about taxes, move here to California and see about 40% of your income taxed on various bonds and issues. If we move there I hope it isn't as bad as here.

politics seem to surface in many threads-usually they get locked,

just like a family gathering, things go great til someone brings up politics,,,then the fur flies

I'm in slyfox's camp, my votes seems to be the kiss of death,

Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM

114 posts, read 136,395 times
Default not my intention....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
politics seem to surface in many threads-usually they get locked,

just like a family gathering, things go great til someone brings up politics,,,then the fur flies

I'm in slyfox's camp, my votes seems to be the kiss of death,
Actually I wasn't trying to start a political conversation at all. I honestly wanted to know which way Maine leans, as it does affect ones life if they think one way and move to a place that they are not from, thinks the other way. It was an honest question of location, location, location. Real simple. Meant no "stirring of the pot."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine