Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 10:40 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Portland voted to legalize pot.
South Portland voted NOT to try to regulate international trade in oil.
As usual, Maine voted in favor of all the bonds.
Slight correction, Maine didn't vote in favor of... a small majority of eligible voters voted in favor of all bonds to represent ME.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:35 AM

32 posts, read 49,200 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
The day after the battles at Lexington and Concord, John Adams walked Battle Road and viewed the carnage. He wrote to his wife, Abigail; "Posterity will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it."

U.S. President John Adams became the first president to live in the White House when he moved in 213 years ago today. The building was cold, damp and still unfinished. His wife Abigail, who would join him 15 days later, famously hung their laundry to dry in the East Room. On Adams’ second day in the house, he wrote to his wife, “I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this House, and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof.” Teddy Roosevelt later had those words carved into the mantle in the State Dining Room.

How far we have fallen. When John Adams resided there we had no federal watchdogs checking everybody who embarked or disembarked aboard ships and today we have a pathological liar residing in the White House.

Don't forget to vote. In our town, many of the elders dress in their Sunday best to come and vote. They regard it as a sacred duty as our forebears did.
Thank You NMLM for a great post. I enjoyed your timely reminder of our nation's history very much. I agree with the things you said on many levels. You are so right... How far we have fallen. I so love the reverence the elders in your town show by dressing in their Sunday best to go vote. Inspiring.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:36 AM

893 posts, read 1,207,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Slight correction, Maine didn't vote in favor of... a small majority of eligible voters voted in favor of all bonds to represent ME.
Everyone who lives here has to pay for them, so it's still an accurate statement.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:38 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Everyone who lives here has to pay for them, so it's still an accurate statement.
This is true. If you chose not to vote, you cede your right to be part of the decision making process and just accept what happens. That's a decision... with consequences.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Threads like these are why i pretty much quit frequenting Forums. They always end up in a political discussion that has less to do with the particular forum and more to do with people's political ideology.
Certainly your right, but I think it's important that people considering moving to Maine understand the economic climate here. Taxes are going up because the people not paying them are borrowing money. That's just how it is.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:05 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
"I have to wonder if people know that bonds are just loans that need to be paid back??"

Many people think that these bond questions are just instructions on how the legislature should spend the money they already have. They honestly do not know that this is new spending and higher taxes they are voting on themselves and their children. Politicians want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the kudos on my John Adams post. I don't need to look this stuff up. I teach this with Project Appleseed.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
"I have to wonder if people know that bonds are just loans that need to be paid back??"

Many people think that these bond questions are just instructions on how the legislature should spend the money they already have. They honestly do not know that this is new spending and higher taxes they are voting on themselves and their children. Politicians want to keep it that way.

Thanks for the kudos on my John Adams post. I don't need to look this stuff up. I teach this with Project Appleseed.
I have read about Project Appleseed in Backwoods Home, always thought it was such a great idea.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
They have them in Oklahoma too y'know. There is one this weekend in Afton. There is camping on site.

Appleseed Schedule

Old 11-06-2013, 06:53 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Does this mean that I can buy and smoke pot in Portland?

I smoked pot 40 years ago, but wouldn't have the faintest idea of where to get pot now. Too old.

Reminds of the Tom Paxton song, "But who'd have pot in vietnam, but the Lt said ..... whadya think you're sittin' on". I know you can smoke pot in the national parks. People are always getting busted by rangers for doing that. Can't imagine where they are doing it, since I've only ever seen a ranger one time inside the park when they weren't on the loop road in their vehicles.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
They have them in Oklahoma too y'know. There is one this weekend in Afton. There is camping on site.

Appleseed Schedule
Thanks NMLM for the info/link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine