Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,654,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
lol at the idea that you need to go hunting to be "manly" (or "not wussy").

Yeah, it's so manly to hide in a tree and shoot a defenseless/unsuspecting animal. You're such a hero.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Perfectly said!^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 11-10-2013, 12:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
It does get mentioned. We have 30,000,000 deer in this country. They're bound to do damage.

https://bangordailynews.com/2010/05/...ut-collisions/
2010 AUGUSTA, Maine — Maine wildlife officials have approved a controlled moose hunt in northern Maine to give farmers relief from moose that are eating their broccoli and cauliflower crops.

Controlled moose hunt set for Aroostook County — Aroostook — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
2011 AUGUSTA, Maine — The Maine fish and game department says it will conduct a controlled moose hunt in Aroostook County for the third consecutive year.

Many states with white-tailed deer have specific hunts/permits to decrease the amount of crop damage caused by white-tail deer. Things like this happen.

This is a win/win situation. Farmers get relief from crop damage. Wildlife numbers are controlled (which helps prevent starvation and the rapid spread of disease), and food is put on the table.

have you been deer hunting this year??

did you get a doe permit?

i helped a friend cut up a moose, and also helped in cutting up 2 roadkill deer-donated to poor families

both the deer were hit- just after it got dark-

anyone driving---be careful after dark- always be on the lookout for the eyeballs

Old 11-10-2013, 04:11 AM

109 posts, read 198,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
And I suppose it's "OK" to pay some multi-glomerate corporation to forcibly medicate, feed, and breed some large hoofed animal in cramped, dirty enclosures, then subsequently kill and slaughter them so you and others can have your hamburger or steak bomb made from only select cuts of meat? I also imagine you might think it correct to genetically alter plant grains and vegetables, chemically alter the soil to plant them en masse, spray them with chemicals to kill any local invertebrates, then rip those plants from the exhausted soil and mechanically process it for just a few choice seeds/leaves/fruit to sell in polyethylene packed bags for you to enjoy your quinoa or cheerios?
I prefer to gather my foodstuffs on a smaller, less invasive scale....sometimes that involves using a rifle or shotgun to harvest one or two individuals that will last me through two whole seasons. I still leave many mushrooms, plants, fruit trees, grouse, or deer behind to keep the cycle of life going. Nothing about being "ruff n tuff", just being more efficient as nature has planned.
Oh I can not wait for the SHTF. How ever it happens, these 'wussie's' who think their food is 'made at the supermarket, where no animals were harmed' will get their due...
Even if SHTF never comes, another storm like H-Irene or H-Sandy will over-run the northeast and once again these everyday shoppers will find the stores closed and/or empty, and they will expect their government to save them.
Oh what will the geeks do when the lights go out and there is no power to recharge their electronics?

HA HA HA HA! What will they ride when their high-horse is on MY dinner plate?

Great post tcrackly!

Old 11-10-2013, 04:49 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,818 times
Wow, this post really has stirred some interest! It's pretty obvious thundercat has never hunted a whitetail or any of Maines game. I can assure you it's not like walking out the back door and shooting a dumb animal. It takes skill, patience and a good amount of luck. I would imagine from the sound or your rant that you are actually located in California or some place where all your food comes from Walmart. I love all the food they grow there.....
If and when TSHTF, I'll be fine here in my camp. Kerosene lamps, wood heat. No electricity? No problem! My own food and meat to HUNT. I wonder how you'll be? Good luck !!!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:40 AM

38 posts, read 52,236 times
Default No Need to Kill "Defenseless" Animals

All you need to do is bravely uncase your smartphone, then cunningly go stalking the Dominoes Pizza website, then select your quarry, the biggest, baddest mature buck pepperoni pizza on the menu. At this point, you're just oozing testoserone when you coolly squeeze off an order to the pizza guy. And you can use your smartphone to track every detail of your conquest, from placing the order to delivery. That, my friends is how a hip, 21st century metrosexual goes hunting. To really impress the ladies, you can tie down that pizza to the roof of your Prius.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:49 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Wow, this post really has stirred some interest! It's pretty obvious thundercat has never hunted a whitetail or any of Maines game. I can assure you it's not like walking out the back door and shooting a dumb animal. It takes skill, patience and a good amount of luck. I would imagine from the sound or your rant that you are actually located in California or some place where all your food comes from Walmart. I love all the food they grow there.....
If and when TSHTF, I'll be fine here in my camp. Kerosene lamps, wood heat. No electricity? No problem! My own food and meat to HUNT. I wonder how you'll be? Good luck !!!
To hear Hide n' Shooters tell it, they are living off the grid like Daniel Boone or Grizzly Adams.
Enduring brutal winters subsisting on nothing more than the hides and food they harvested after fighting off bears and other menacing predators just like a Micmac scout would have. They might actually think some people believe that, too? I lived in Vermont and spent lots of time in Maine. Ive lived in rural areas in a few states and cities, too. Other than the twisted and sick desire to hide and kill helpless animals, Hide n' Shooters are no different than the local Sunday School teacher. There is no one this forum that lives off the grid and hunts exclusively for food. You all know it. You shop at walmart because thats where you get your deer p*** cologne, shootin' irons and bullets. To say you are somehow more rugged or ready than a psychologically stable person is a joke. Judging by the amount of Hide n' Shoot on human accidents that occur during Hide n' Shoot season, the only skill required is being able to remember what the actual animal you are going shoot at looks like. That, and looking for new and creative ways to tear up private property with ATV's
Hide n' Shooters can say they are "harvesting food" or other disingenuous excuse for their deviance, but in the end, it is just what it is: People who shoot at helpless animals(or humans) for fun.

Oh yeah, when and if the fairytale "SHTF" situation occurs, my money is going to be the individual that survived life in the Bronx or Detroit, not the part-time Daniel Boone-a-be

Last edited by thunderkat59; 11-10-2013 at 08:57 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
As to be expected from any apologist of morally repugnant behavior, you are wrong on all counts.
But hey, whatever lets you sleep at night
Actually Tcrackly is right on all counts. Have you ever seen a big cattle operation that raises strictly for the meat market and for the largest profit they can get from that meat? I have, not very good conditions at all, if it were dogs being raised like that or some other "cute" animal the tree huggers would be having a stoke over it. Have you even been inside a big poultry farm barn where chickens are raised for meat? I have. The chickens NEVER see the light of day. The air has to be exchanged on a regular basis so it doesn't become so toxic it starts to kill the chickens. I was working for a company that got an urgent call because the air exchangers were down on a chicken coop and they had a matter of hours before they started racking up huge losses of "product" (the product was what you and I would refer to as chickens.) They are not even animals to the "farmers" who raise them like that, they are strictly "product" nothing more, nothing less. That was one of the worst experiences I have ever seen when it comes to animal cruelty, FAR more than pulling the trigger on a wild animal and killing it humanly. Even thinking about it I can still smell it and picture 40,000 chickens in a barn that was 50' wide, 200' long... yes 40,000, I know because I asked.

The behavior that is "morally repugnant" as you say is the turning of a blind eye to the truth and letting these practices continue so you can buy a cheap steak or cheap chicken breast somewhere.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:24 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
i guess more and more states have legalized marijuana

Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,158,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
To hear Hide n' Shooters tell it, they are living off the grid like Daniel Boone or Grizzly Adams.
Enduring brutal winters subsisting on nothing more than the hides and food they harvested after fighting off bears and other menacing predators just like a Micmac scout would have. They might actually think some people believe that, too? I lived in Vermont and spent lots of time in Maine. Ive lived in rural areas in a few states and cities, too. Other than the twisted and sick desire to hide and kill helpless animals, Hide n' Shooters are no different than the local Sunday School teacher. There is no one this forum that lives off the grid and hunts exclusively for food. You all know it. You shop at walmart because thats where you get your deer p*** cologne, shootin' irons and bullets. To say you are somehow more rugged or ready than a psychologically stable person is a joke. Judging by the amount of Hide n' Shoot on human accidents that occur during Hide n' Shoot season, the only skill required is being able to remember what the actual animal you are going shoot at looks like. That, and looking for new and creative ways to tear up private property with ATV's
Hide n' Shooters can say they are "harvesting food" or other disingenuous excuse for their deviance, but in the end, it is just what it is: People who shoot at helpless animals(or humans) for fun.

Oh yeah, when and if the fairytale "SHTF" situation occurs, my money is going to be the individual that survived life in the Bronx or Detroit, not the part-time Daniel Boone-a-be
^^^^

You forgot something, thunderKat. People who shoot at helpless animals (or humans) do it not only "for fun" but because its a power fetish. Anyone googling 'American gun fetish' will come up with millions of hits, because it's a real and sick darkside of this culture.

You will find, every time you post opposition to hunting or gun involvement, crowds of people defending animal-killing and gun hoarding 'for meat' or 'safety', but that's just an elaborate justification of the actuality, which is that in this country, instruments of death are fetish objects.

In media, we are just a lot more comfortable with violence, killing, torture, and bloodshed of all types than displays of love. Check it out -- find me a major motion picture star who HASN'T been on a movie poster brandishing a weapon. What does that tell you? Weapons industry product placement -- highly successful in normalizing that sick fetish.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:49 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
^^^^

You forgot something, thunderKat. People who shoot at helpless animals (or humans) do it not only "for fun" but because its a power fetish. Anyone googling 'American gun fetish' will come up with millions of hits, because it's a real and sick darkside of this culture.

You will find, every time you post opposition to hunting or gun involvement, crowds of people defending animal-killing and gun hoarding 'for meat' or 'safety', but that's just an elaborate justification of the actuality, which is that in this country, instruments of death are fetish objects.

In media, we are just a lot more comfortable with violence, killing, torture, and bloodshed of all types than displays of love. Check it out -- find me a major motion picture star who HASN'T been on a movie poster brandishing a weapon. What does that tell you? Weapons industry product placement -- highly successful in normalizing that sick fetish.
I cant rep you right now, but if I could, this would get 10
Thank you for being a positive counter to the abhorrent culture of violence that is the USA, circa 2013.
A society can be judged on how it treats its most vulnerable members/creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine