Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I use my $12 crockpot a lot. I have a rather bizarre kitchen setup for someone who likes to cook. When I moved into this tiny apartment a few years ago, the gas company couldn't find my address in its files. Also, there had been newspaper reports concerning the extra high cost of gas here. So, never had gas turned on here--range/stove is not usable. I cook with a microwave, a crockpot, a small electric grill, and a small infrared (electric) oven. I enjoy the challenge--find I can do most things--not cakes. When I move again, a real functioning stove will seem high tech luxury.
Been there, done that too... different reason but I lived for a year in a place with no stove. I used my camp stove hooked up to a grill type propane bottle, the microwave, a toaster (not toaster-oven) the crockpot, mr Coffee and my charcoal grill outside. I think I still had my bread machine too, but didn't use it much.

I could make Jiffy mixes in the micro... the only thing I really missed was a turkey on Thansgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 08:06 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
when i was a kid there where 12 of us on a good week dad would bring home $150
this was in the 60 n 70s my mom stayd home and took care of the house and us kids.
we would plant a garden raise chickens,pigs,and cows.
in the fall we would harvest the garden,some chickens,pigs,and cows.
we froze fish we had cought over the sumer.
mom would can up jams ,jelly,honey,maplesyrip,most every thing we needed.
thinking back i cant remember ever going with out.
those where simpeler times.
mom and dad did the best they could with what we had.
we where happy warme and fed.
i askt my mom about that and she said she would not change a thing.
some days i wish my life was like that .
times have changed. it hurt me to see a family go with out .its a sad thing that we r the richest country in the world and thers hunger and homeless on our streets.
we took a wrong turne some where in the 80 n 90s mayb we can get back on track .

Old 11-22-2007, 08:14 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
We are on a fixed income. We live in a decent rental house, have basic dish tv, phone, and internet. We drive a ten year old car, which we bought new (it has 91k on it). With heating oil going higher than we anticipated it does get a wee bit tight but,.. we don't go hungry because we prepare our food at home. We don't eat out or shop for anything but REAL necessities. If I do see something nonperishable at a good price I stock up. We do not drink or gamble. I do smoke (sigh) I had quit before and will again. I do know of people that go to Bingo, drink, smoke and smoke pot that go the the food cupboard but, I notice there is something "not quite right" with many of them. I don't know if it's depression or just plain sadness but many have a hopelessness that just emanates from them. I try be sweet natured and not to judge as I don't know the condition of their "hearts". It just seems a lot of these people are in pain inside to me. Sorry if it sounds preachy, isn't meant to be, guess I just feel for people a lot.
Dearest msina- Thank goodness for your sweet nature and kind soul! You seem quite at peace with yourself and your life. Your optimistic nature and sunny outlook infect us all!!! Thank you

Old 11-22-2007, 08:27 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
quoting Ranger.101st\we took a wrong turne some where in the 80 n 90s mayb we can get back on track .[/quote]

Yeah I think so. In the eighties there was a proliferation of colleges and universities adding business degrees to their curriculum. Taught ways to maximize profit, forgot to include ethics.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:06 AM

290 posts, read 637,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
perhaps we should put our minds together, and write a book titled "how to cook in maine, for less than $1.00 per serving" even if it were two dollars per serving,,it would strike a needed nerve.
if we created that cookbook, it could be a standard hand-out for anyone on foodstamps/welfare
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/Good-Idea-Smiley.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-23-2007, 07:48 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I could make Jiffy mixes in the micro... the only thing I really missed was a turkey on Thansgiving.
I'll roast a turkey for you when you get here. Junior now resides in the freezer. Half of Stoop is in the fridge if you get here in a day or two!

Old 11-24-2007, 07:04 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
I Was Talking With A Young Couple Up The Road From Me.
Thay Weretelling Me Its Going To Be A Hard Winter For Them.
Thay Have 4 Kids And Work Full Time Jobs .
And Thay Get A Good Wage But Between Rent ,day Care,gas For Travel To Work,insurance,oil For Heat,electric,phone,and Groceries,ect..
He Said Thay End Up With About $50 A Week.
I Admit Thats Much More Than Alot Of Other Ppl Have But Still Not Much.
His Small Twins Are Sick If Not For His Insurance Thay Would Be In Real Trouble.now The Ins,co.wants To Raise Their Rates .if Thay Do That Then What.i Felt Bad Becouse I Had No Advice For Him.
Just Goes To Show Even With A Good Paying Job You Can Still Go Hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine