Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 07:12 AM

701 posts, read 1,082,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I thought I had posted to this yesterday....must not have clicked the button.
We fill black plastic sheeting with dry oak leaves(no shortage of material here) up to about 2 1/2' secured around the perimeter of the foundation wall with board slats. Our cottage/house is has an unheated basement so the banking helps maintain a temp above freezing(averaging 45-50˚ in Jan.). Also helps to keep the first floor warmer and minimize moisture damage around the lower siding.
Thanks for the details on banking, I learn something new everyday on this forum

I think I might take mice over lizards, the lizards are coming in my house everyday right now, one crawled right over my foot while I was on the computer

Charlotte now has sooooo many people from somewhere else that I have to think really hard about what people around here say (or used to) Every one called soda a coke, no matter what kind, and it was really important to know if someone was a "coke" person or a "pepsi" person, but it was all called "coke"

Real southerners around here have King Syrup and butter with their biscuits (it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!)

I really enjoyed this thread, hopefully I'll remember enough, so I won't sound too drastically "from away" .........well, until they hear our southern accents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 AM

701 posts, read 1,082,993 times
One more question........what do Mainers call grilling? Bar-b-que? I've heard people use the term bar-b-que, to mean grilling out. Here in the south Bar-b -que is a food (pulled pork usually) and when we use the grill, we are "grilling out"

Just wondering

Old 11-17-2008, 10:01 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,189 times
Yes, you're grilling and best be prepared to do it year round! We move the grill up on the deck or close to the back door and grill year round. You'll be brushing snow off of your grill, but it's the only way to cook a good steak!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 AM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times
Once you light the grill, the snow will quickly melt from the cover.

Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,012,285 times
Most I know call it Bar-B-Que. We grill or B-B-Q all year round, too.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
One more question........what do Mainers call grilling? Bar-b-que? I've heard people use the term bar-b-que, to mean grilling out. Here in the south Bar-b -que is a food (pulled pork usually) and when we use the grill, we are "grilling out"

Just wondering
My guess is that since a lot of grilling recipes call for a barbecue sauce of some kind that we just call it barbecue. Mainers nickname everything.

And like others here we bbq all winter long. Not only does it taste delish but this lazy cook will do ANYTHING to get out of doing dishes.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:00 AM

48,116 posts, read 21,997,640 times
In my Great Aunt's Journal written in 1860 (in Maine) she managed to put several old time Maine expressions into her discription of a little child she saw while out visiting".

"The little one of twenty months was full of glee, it pranked and capered and the others laughed to see its little cunning acts."

Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,575 times
My folks never cursed but Mom would always say "Cussid" and Dad would say "Well Holly Cow"

Old 11-28-2008, 01:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
The beagle scratched at the door to come in and when the kid opened the door the smell of skunk instantly filled the kitchen.

"Jeez, Ethel, Crack a winda will ya?" "Crack a winda" means to open a window and let this blessed place air out some.

Baptists don't swear much, but you can use colorful language without profanity.

"Well, big hairy deal!"

Old 11-28-2008, 02:27 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
"No bigger than a fart in a mitten" (Meaning very small) This is one I always heard growing up, and I still use it today...makes people here in Indiana say, "Where in the hell are you from?"

LOL!! I love that! I'm from Florida, and down there it's 'knee high to a grass hopper'. Even in rural TN people look at me like I'm nuts. Wait till I come out with this one!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine