Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times

Advertisements

Any advice on how to coordinate all the steps in 1) selling (that is where I am now) then 2) finding a new home and 3)buying it and 4) moving the stuff and 5) driving cross country with the two dogs and 6)moving into new home--without going crazy or ending up "homeless". It boggles my mind! Has anyone done it and stayed even a little sane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
I have some friends who I met here at citydata- sold their home in the Washington DC area rat race a few days ago after many failed attempts to move to rural eastern Connecticut- they have 4 cats they are bringing. Well it was some project as told by them to me- they rented a truck among others vehicles-

The home they bought is not finished yet (spring 2008) So they rented a house
They moved in 2 days before the holiday. I am expecting a call from them Sunday night.

Coming from Maine from California would be much more of a 'expeditionary journey'.
Good luck- best thing to do is make sure you have a place to live after you sell in CA.
Planning ahead is the best advice I can give- and try and limit the amount of stuff you bring back. I moved from west to east (came back home to CT from CA)- and it was easier being single and not bringing much stuff in the process.

But making sure you have a rent or purchase of a home before hand is of up most importance- having an empty house, and buying new belongings is better then living in your car.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:45 PM

62 posts, read 292,073 times
yup i've done it and it wasn't easy. first thing i'd do is sell everything you can via local paper, craigslist, word of mouth etc.. then see if your new employer might help with relocation costs. if you are relocating for a job (and it is something like over 50 miles) you can write the moving expenses off on your taxes so keep all your receipts. visit the place you are moving to and if buying and selling your home doesn't correspond time-wise, don't go batty, just see if you can rent a storage place, rent a small apartment, and take your time looking. if you don't already know what it is like, try to experience all 4 seasons before deciding on a place. good luck!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:01 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Default Anyone used a you pack it, they move it service?

Hi Elston--I've moved long distance several times. I always had a place to stay (at least for a little while) at my destination. For my next move I thought I would try something like what is described in this link as far as getting my stuff there.

Move with the Truck Rental Alternative - ABF U-Pack Moving

There seems to be a number of companies offering this type of service as an alternative to renting a truck or paying for a big moving van. Basically, they deliver a big container to your present home and you pack it (or they'll help with that, too). Then they pick up the container and move it to your destination city where its in storage until you get there.

I don't remember if the one in the link goes to Maine, but either this one or a similar service will get your stuff things to Portland. From my research, this sounds like one of the more economical ways to move--assuming you have too much stuff to just put it in your vehicle and go.

Has any one used such a service?--what did you think?

And good luck Elston--it's a big job!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:12 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Prep prep prep! Know where you're going and how you'll get there. I've been researching the area for a LONG time now and know exactly where we do and don't want to end up. I know which moving truck company (Penske - best reputation) we'll be using and approx how much that will cost, including fuel. Because we opt to rent our first year while we shop around at our leisure, I've been watching the classifieds to make sure rentals are readily available in our chosen area, and they are. Of course, there are always apartments, but with 3 small kids, a house is almost mandatory! I've even pin-pointed a couple of weekly efficiencies if we need that for a week or two upon arrival, and I do know which storage facilities are in the area. I've already contacted all the utility service providers and know how that will all work and what costs we'll incur as well.

With proper preparation, you should find the move manageable. There will ALWAYS be those little unexpected things that occur over which you have absolutely no control! Grin and bear it and just go along with the flow!! What else can you do?

I am a self-admitted contol freak with a slight case of OCD. I have more lists than underwear by which I live my life. If it's not written down, I will NOT remember it. If it's not scheduled, I WILL forget it or I'll be late if it's not written down in 3 different places! (I'm getting a PDA for Christmas! DH says it will help save some trees. ) If I can do this frightening and most intimidating thing, you can too!!

Experience? Nope! I'll report back how practical my above listed advice is once we've actually done it, but it all makes perfect sense to me!

Step 1: SELL THIS DAMNED HOUSE!

Old 11-23-2007, 03:21 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
We did it, but we didn't buy right away. We rented first. Much less stressful because we were able to get a short-term lease.

As for the rest, lots and lots of planning. We opened a checking account out here, online, and got it up and running so we had local funds available to us. We had the appt set up for cable/internet connections the day after we arrived~~can't be more than 24 hours without those necessities.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:14 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
Go to your doctor. Get scrip for valium. :P

I guess the biggest piece is always selling your home. I'd avoid looking too much or getting attached to any one particular new home before then as it is heartbreaking to fall in love with one place and lose it because your house is still on sale. But at the same time you want to be aware of what is on the market so you can gage your offers based on how long things are on the market.

We did things bass akwards and it all worked out but the stress was unbelievable. If that whole stress scale thing is right DH and I are short a few years in the long run. :P

Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM

You are all being so helpful. I am very very grateful for the wisdom of your experience. I worry about renting as my options will be skant with two dogs. I think once our house is under contract my partner and I will fly up to Portland to scope out some of the homes we have been following on line. genmomto5, we have already had that dissappointment twice--altho we know that the house we fall in love with on line will likely be gone when we are ready--and it may not look as good in person as on line.

We have a pretty good idea of where we want to be, (within about 30 mins of Portland); actually we are finding lots of really nice houses within our range, so I don't think finding a house will be hard. Its just at my age I would like to think this might be my last move...but I thought that the last time.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,758 times
"it may not look as good in person as on line."

Seriously... those virtual tours don't have smell-o-vision. One great looking house we saw online stunk to high heaven in person.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:59 PM

literally stank? cat or filth or smokers or mold?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: