U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:09 PM

35,372 posts, read 57,371,193 times

Advertisements

Last week I intercepted a phone call for my teenage son.

It was from the Red Cross. She said that our son had given blood at a blood drive in the highschool, and they were setting up another blood drive. They wanted him to volunteer to help.

I asked my son and he admitted that he had given blood at the highschool and that he had helped them setup.

Now apparently they can do this in the highschool without parent approval or knowledge.

So as I am scratching my head, who is asking these kids if they are eligible to give blood?

My family are Mad Cow carriers, or suspected carriers. We lived in Scotland for three years eating the local meats, and I spent eight years on subs that only surfaced in Scotland [so all of our food was loaded onboard there from the local economy]. And while I was exposed to numerous bugs in Kosovo.

When I go near a blood drive, and look through the list of places where you can never have traveled, I have been to most of those places. The things that you can not be exposed to, and later give blood.

My wife and my children have all lived overseas, and none of us can qualify to give blood, according to their list of stuff.

But this son, is slightly mentally handicapped. He just wants to please people. He is very social, and he tries hard to be liked. He is very easily talked into doing things. He has frontal lobe damage which makes it hard for him to perform judgemental tasks.

On one hand he knows that he has been exposed to things that dis-qualify him to give blood. But in a setting where giving blood would please people. ...

Or if they blew off going over the list of dis-qualifying things.

Either way, the 'American Red Cross' [a non-profit corporation that takes blood for free, sells it at a huge profit, and pays it's executives millions of dollars] takes tainted blood from children without speaking with a parent or guardian.

Does anyone else see an issue here?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 08:36 PM

830 posts, read 1,589,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Either way, the 'American Red Cross' [a non-profit corporation that takes blood for free, sells it at a huge profit, and pays it's executives millions of dollars] takes tainted blood from children without speaking with a parent or guardian.

Does anyone else see an issue here?
I'm shocked! Aside from the fact that he is a minor, there are medical conditions (certain haemoglobin disorders, for example) that make giving blood very unwise for the donator. Kids who are still in high school (and their parents) may not know they have such a condition if they have never had any reason to have their blood analyzed.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:41 PM

7,727 posts, read 11,915,821 times
As you intercepted the call my best guess is that you informed them of the issue(s) in question, (cause I know you're a smaht cookie). If you haven't already, I'd put in a call to the school and to the Red Cross as well. I'm awfully sorry this happened, it was wrong.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,570,193 times
I am amazed they let him donate!!

I told my husband that donating blood is reaching a point where we both need to answer the most ridiculous questions. For example, have you ever had relations with anyone who has ever had relations with anyone who has been exposed to Avian flu or and who has lived in the British Isles or had relations with anyone exposed to SARS, or had relations with anyone who had relations with someone for money.... etc. The combinations are exhausting for this simple brain!! ( numb as a hake brain at this point!!)

I am certainly not trying to minimize or downplay the risks of passing along tainted blood via the donor line: I am all for keeping the blood supplies safe and secure for all: However; for those of us who wish to donate, it has become a chore from the theater of the absurd just to complete the interview with the red cross phlebotomist!!!

Old 11-23-2007, 10:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,838,763 times
Forest - You're not alone in this regard - when my son was 16 I found one of those sticky papers that said "I Gave" and a blood drop on it - I'm thinking it's their logo when you give blood and you can wear it on your jacket or sweater.

I pitched the Big One and called the Red Cross who told me it's the law here in WV that when you are 16 you can give blood without parental permission and they didn't really care that I was upset.

He thought he was doing something good for the cause and he hadn't realized that his parents might, just might know more about his health than he did - and the Red Cross didn't care. I shudder to think what patients that need that blood could contract from a minor giving in the spirit of helping and not knowing their entire medical history and the Red Cross not caring enough to contact the parents for a complete medical history.

Last edited by corgis; 11-23-2007 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-23-2007, 11:07 PM

8,350 posts, read 24,387,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post

I am certainly not trying to minimize or downplay the risks of passing along tainted blood via the donor line: I am all for keeping the blood supplies safe and secure for all: However; for those of us who wish to donate, it has become a chore from the theater of the absurd just to complete the interview with the red cross phlebotomist!!!
I donate blood from time to time and I too have noticed that the pre screen interview is getting longer. I never really thought about until this thread, but it would seem as though it is cheaper for the center to just ask you whether X or Y instead of actually spending the money to test the blood (although the center that I went to claims to test the blood for ten different things-eight of which were STD'S).

Last time I donated I was asked if I had had sex with a person who was taking (medication that I have never heard of) for (condition that I have never heard of), followed by if I have ever I had sex with a person who had (another condition that I have never heard of). I feel as though I am an intelligent person , but seriously I thought that the screener was talking about something from outer space-the conditions sounded that far out.

I just shrugged my shoulders and told the screener that I didn't know; that those conditions were definitely nothing that I have heard of.

The screener assured me, that if I had in fact had sex with a person with condition X, then I would definitely know that I had.

Huh, ok.

The screener took my answer as a no, and then ten minutes later took a pint of blood.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 AM

6,498 posts, read 12,794,929 times
There's an ad on television right now saying you only have to be 17. My daughter was a 17 year old senior six years ago when she came home with the I Gave Blood sticker. She couldn't have legally gotten her ears pierced with my signature then but she could give blood. I didn't mind that she did it because I've given a couple of gallons myself but I would have like a note from the high school giving me the information first.

I haven't been able to give blood in 10 years. Back then nobody ever asked me if I'd lived outside the country. Do they have a tattoo rule now? I've heard that if you have a tattoo you can never give again and that you have to wait a year.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:29 AM

35,372 posts, read 57,371,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I'm shocked! Aside from the fact that he is a minor, there are medical conditions (certain haemoglobin disorders, for example) that make giving blood very unwise for the donator. Kids who are still in high school (and their parents) may not know they have such a condition if they have never had any reason to have their blood analyzed.
For most of the things that are on the forbidden list there is no method of analyzing the blood to screen to see if you are a carrier.

Like the un-tested anti-nerve-agent soups that were cooked up in un-licensed laboratorys that were given to 'Gulf War' vets that now have so many of them sick and dying. There is no blood test, no method of screening to see if their blood is carrying something that would give you the 'Gulf War' syndrome.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:28 AM

8,350 posts, read 24,387,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Do they have a tattoo rule now? I've heard that if you have a tattoo you can never give again and that you have to wait a year.
The tattoo rule has been in effect on the West Coast for at least fifteen years now. Same with piercings. Basically, all tattoos and piercings need to be at least one year old. If you haven't developed any signs of hep or the like, then you are good to go.

---------------------

Like the un-tested anti-nerve-agent soups that were cooked up in un-licensed laboratorys that were given to 'Gulf War' vets that now have so many of them sick and dying. There is no blood test, no method of screening to see if their blood is carrying something that would give you the 'Gulf War' syndrome.
-FB

------------------------

That is appalling.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:22 PM

7,021 posts, read 8,466,517 times
This is frightening. When I was in the Army, I was injured on several occasions and required blood transfusions, a massive amount one time. This was when they were just learning about Aids/HIV but before they started testing for it. I spent 20 years wondering if I was carrying a ticking time-bomb.

Hearing about this sort of thing continuing makes me think that banking my own blood might be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: