Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 05:59 PM

393 posts, read 981,597 times

Advertisements

If at all possible I would bring your So. Calif cars to Maine. Cars I couldn't GIVE away in my home state I was able to sell for quite a bit of money in Maine, and yes, I told buyers exactly what was wrong with the cars I was trying to sell. I think the reason is this: in Maine, people are just very handy and mechanically inclined and they can fix things themselves. So if they only have to pay for parts and not labor, it makes buying a fixer-upper an okay deal. The fact that your cars come from Calif - no rust, no flooding - - only sweetens the deal. As far as what to buy when you get here, I bought one of my cars here and one in my home state. I've seen cars here in Maine with an undercarriage and/or exhaust full of rust, and others that were immaculate. I would advise getting AWD or 4x4.

As far as storing an older car, make sure you put some trays of DCON into the car before you close it up for winter. The ice will seek the nice, comfy cushions to nest over the winter and basically shred the interior for their bedding, not to mention pooping all over it. Been there, done that with my pop-up camper - they utterly and irreparably ruined the camper and I was just brokenhearted. Live and learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
There is a local used car dealer in my area that sells "California Cars". Has huge signs on his lot saying this. Has about 20-30 vehicles. I've never stopped there to check prices or anything.

My 1959 Plymouth Sport Fury was built in Evansville, Ind and then shipped to a dealer in Los Banos, Cal. Somehow (luckily) I ended up with it here in Wis. (so it's known as a "California Car"). Never seen salt. Working under and on that car is a dream. No rusty bolts/nuts, etc.
Never had a mice problem in storage of car but this fall as a precaution I put dryer sheets in car. Mice are supposed to hate the smell. As far as DCON, I might be concerned with mice crawling into heat duct or wherever and dying. Probably better than chewed wiring and upholstery though.
Nice truck KIWI.

OP mentioned Subaru Forester. We have a 2002 Forester AWD. No problem driving in the snow in Wisconsin. It's actually fun. You can just feel the traction and grip that it has.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:07 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Any vehicle that's been in Maine for winter driving will be exposed to the salts used on the roads now. Contrary to what the State says, it's a lot more corrosive than the rock salt/sand mixture that used to be used. Once exposed, the corrosion will start.
According to some information*, it *is*, in fact, less corrosive...as long as there is no electricity involved. Unfortunately, your vehicle's electrical system is grounded through the frame/chassis.

*This is what I was told by someone who *seemed* knowledgeable on the subject, who described an experiment that could be conducted (pun intended) to confirm it. The explanation sounded plausible, but then again, there are some who are able to spout stuff that *seems* plausible but is total BS, and I have not taken the time to actually conduct such an experiment, so take it with a grain of salt (pun intended).

Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Until recently I have only owned cars that were over 10 years old. Most of my previous vehicles were 20+ years old. I traveled a lot and I lived in many different places.

We were always of the mind set that every year our vehicles go into the shop for Preventative Maintenance. If we budget $500 every year, to fix anything a mechanic can find that is wearing out. Then [in theory] we avoid break-downs. This practice does served us well. From the 70s, up until about '05 when I moved to Maine.

The first time that I heard of a mechanic replacing brake-lines, I though he was scamming the customer.

Hydraulic brake systems had a lot of industry and government focus decades ago, the technology was pretty much perfected. They have became cheap and reliable. Among all systems of a vehicle, the brake-lines are one component that will outlast nearly everything else. Until you come to Maine.

From the rust I have seen in Maine, today I would not be overly surprised if plastic and fiberglass began rusting here.

When I was shopping for a dump truck, I crawled underneath a lot of old trucks that were for sale. I have now seen truck frames with rust-holes big enough to swing a cat through. There are a lot of vehicles operating on Maine roads that have more rust on them then they have metal. Flaking rust becomes the primary structural component of some of those trucks.

I have had to entirely change my mind about old vehicles, in Maine.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:47 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Until recently I have only owned cars that were over 10 years old. Most of my previous vehicles were 20+ years old. I traveled a lot and I lived in many different places.

We were always of the mind set that every year our vehicles go into the shop for Preventative Maintenance. If we budget $500 every year, to fix anything a mechanic can find that is wearing out. Then [in theory] we avoid break-downs. This practice does served us well. From the 70s, up until about '05 when I moved to Maine.

The first time that I heard of a mechanic replacing brake-lines, I though he was scamming the customer.

Hydraulic brake systems had a lot of industry and government focus decades ago, the technology was pretty much perfected. They have became cheap and reliable. Among all systems of a vehicle, the brake-lines are one component that will outlast nearly everything else. Until you come to Maine.

From the rust I have seen in Maine, today I would not be overly surprised if plastic and fiberglass began rusting here.

When I was shopping for a dump truck, I crawled underneath a lot of old trucks that were for sale. I have now seen truck frames with rust-holes big enough to swing a cat through. There are a lot of vehicles operating on Maine roads that have more rust on them then they have metal. Flaking rust becomes the primary structural component of some of those trucks.

I have had to entirely change my mind about old vehicles, in Maine.

My '99 F-150 lasted just 12 years. frame was toast. By the way, most car washes do recyle their water. Lots of salt in the winter.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:36 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
We have a 2002 Forester AWD. No problem driving in the snow in Wisconsin. It's actually fun. You can just feel the traction and grip that it has.
We have a 2009 Impreza with General Altimax snows on in the winter. People complain about how bad the roads are, but I really can't tell. This afternoon at Walmart the complaints were endemic. Seems almost like driving on dry pavement to me.

One thing I do notice is that when the conditions are at all slippery, it sounds as if the brakes have gone down to the steel on steel. In very slippery conditions, which is every stop, you can feel the shuddering of the anti-lock brakes coming on. I have to get on to dry pavement before I'm sure that my brakes don't need replacement. And there is no light that comes on for the anti-lock brakes, like there is for the traction control when I'm pulling away.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:12 AM

396 posts, read 604,052 times
[quote=221B;32647567]We've decided to sell off a couple vehicles here in SoCal prior to our move, rather than having them shipped over to ME.

??? Have someone drive it to maine for you?

Ship it?

I have gone out of state myself, but often it was because I simply got a better price. Enough better that it was worth the drive. I say enough, because you need to factor in the drive, and the fact, you'll be paying Maine State Sales Tax at the time of registration (which can make that first check a big one.

Sometimes it was a color that I choose, which made me go out of state (the dealers didn't want to do a swap at the same pricing).

But as for buying out of state because of salt and such, not sure on that one. Used is used, and as long as it's taken care of, and yes, you have it checked out, I don't see a reason to buy out of state just for that reason.

Skip

Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
I have gone out of state myself, but often it was because I simply got a better price. Enough better that it was worth the drive. I say enough, because you need to factor in the drive, and the fact, you'll be paying Maine State Sales Tax at the time of registration (which can make that first check a big one.

Skip[/quote]

I'm in a similar position. I have a 20-year old Volvo wagen that just keeps running. It's been severly damaged by a major hail storm (I believe I now get better gas mileage because the car now has the aerodynamics of a golf ball), half the window seals and side molding are gone, no speedometer, only get three radio stations, etc. But it runs. I'm trying to decide whether to ship it to Portland when I move in August, or donate it here in Austin, Texas, and then buy something when I get to Maine. My question (which has taken a little time to get to) is about your statement about paying the Maine State Sales Tax at the time of registration. The way I'm reading this statement is that it applies to any car registered in Maine regardless of where it was bought. Is that the correct reading? Or did you mean to compare the cost/time of driving out of state to get a car to the cost of the sales tax for car bought in Maine?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:
I'm in a similar position. I have a 20-year old Volvo wagen that just keeps running. It's been severly damaged by a major hail storm (I believe I now get better gas mileage because the car now has the aerodynamics of a golf ball), half the window seals and side molding are gone, no speedometer, only get three radio stations, etc. But it runs. I'm trying to decide whether to ship it to Portland when I move in August, or donate it here in Austin, Texas, and then buy something when I get to Maine. My question (which has taken a little time to get to) is about your statement about paying the Maine State Sales Tax at the time of registration. The way I'm reading this statement is that it applies to any car registered in Maine regardless of where it was bought. Is that the correct reading? Or did you mean to compare the cost/time of driving out of state to get a car to the cost of the sales tax for car bought in Maine?
As long as you have registered it in another state you won't pay Maine Sales tax. If it's a purchase, either new or used vehicle you will pay Sales tax when you register it. If you buy it from a Maine dealer, you pay the tax during the purchase and you have a form showing you have paid sales tax. If the purchase is from a private individual, there is a form you fill out when you register the vehicle which basically calculates the sales tax and that is added to the fees you pay to register it. If you purchase a vehicle out of state, it's the same. New Hampshire doesn't have sales tax. Purchase a car there and you don't pay sales tax to NH, but complete the form and pay Maine sales tax when registering. Can't beat death and taxes. Especially true in Maine. And don't try the scheme where the guy writes you a bill of sale for considerably less than you pay and you try to use that to register the vehicle. The state will be all over that like flies on a gut cart.

I'd be worried about your Volvo passing Maine inspection if it's as beat up as you describe.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
We have a 2009 Impreza with General Altimax snows on in the winter. People complain about how bad the roads are, but I really can't tell. This afternoon at Walmart the complaints were endemic. Seems almost like driving on dry pavement to me.

One thing I do notice is that when the conditions are at all slippery, it sounds as if the brakes have gone down to the steel on steel. In very slippery conditions, which is every stop, you can feel the shuddering of the anti-lock brakes coming on. I have to get on to dry pavement before I'm sure that my brakes don't need replacement. And there is no light that comes on for the anti-lock brakes, like there is for the traction control when I'm pulling away.
I have the exact same car, year and model. There is definitely a slip light, if it doesn't go on when you are sliding, go to the dealer and find out why. Course it will cost you $200 because they have to access your instrument panel through the Bering Straits, the Everglades, and the CERN particle accelerator, just like when they replace a freakin headlight bulb ($60, buuuu subaru).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine