Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:08 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times

Advertisements

Did ya get much snow where you are? When we have an extended period without power we are able to either melt snow or haul water fro the nearby pond. Sorry you are in such a fix. I always figure it gives us more appreciation how so much of the global population has to live like that every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:21 PM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
Did that. Ran out.
Consider getting a new toilet.
We got a new toilet last year, uses just a bit over a gallon per flush and never need to flush twice. We had 18 gallon Rubbermaid in the bathtub filled with water, didnt even go thru half of it. Edit: also, if you have a working stopper, just fill your whole tub, we dont so we went the rubbermaid route.

Then again our power was only out for 12 hours....But still the old toilet used about 4 gallons per flush!

edit: nearly our whole street is without power tonight, except for us and a few other houses. Guessing one of the big trees overhanging the lines snapped.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:48 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
We drove from the Topsfield area to Bangor and back today. We have a lot more ice out here. By the time we got to Lincoln there was very little. The trees on Rt 6 from Springfield to Topsfield are leaning more this evening than were early this afternoon. I filled the bathtub again to be on the safe side. It's going to be a long winter. It's nice to be on the snowmobile and snowshoes already but I'll be hoping for an early spring.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:05 PM

476 posts, read 747,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
Consider getting a new toilet.
We got a new toilet last year, uses just a bit over a gallon per flush and never need to flush twice. We had 18 gallon Rubbermaid in the bathtub filled with water, didnt even go thru half of it. Edit: also, if you have a working stopper, just fill your whole tub, we dont so we went the rubbermaid route.

Then again our power was only out for 12 hours....But still the old toilet used about 4 gallons per flush!

edit: nearly our whole street is without power tonight, except for us and a few other houses. Guessing one of the big trees overhanging the lines snapped.
I heard it is not good for the well pump to be without power for an extended period of time. I think something to do with contamination. Can anyone add detail to this, and if so, ways to deal with power outages and the effects with the well pump system? Thanks.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:23 PM

321 posts, read 486,560 times
It doesn't seem so bad to the north. I went to Presque Isle on Tuesday and came back yesterday, and the roads were fine. I haven't had any trouble getting around Bangor, either, but I know a lot of people are suffering. I know several folks who have been without power since Monday and have been trying to keep the pipes from freezing. Hopefully Saturday's warmer temperatures will melt some of the ice on the trees.

As bad it has been for some folks, I do have to say that the ice-covered trees are really quite beautiful. It certainly doesn't make up for the frozen pipes, carbon monoxide poisoning, car accidents, etc., but the trees are nice to look at right now.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:21 AM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
Not sure about well water 'contamination'. This time of year the water is cold enough I personally wouldn't think about proliferation of bacteria, but that's just me.

One thing that can happen to your well water system following a power outage is:

You (I) space out and keep using your (my) household water system, dropping the water level in the well expansion tank - below the low pressure level that would normally cause the electrical switch to kick the pump on, recharging the tank with water. You (I) then have to manually reset the pressure switch.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Weather is different every year. Its what makes new england, new england. If I wanted sunny and 85 degrees everyday without any variation, I'd move to Los Angeles, CA
There is one constant about weather...it is always changing.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 AM

793 posts, read 1,341,155 times
Look at Sunday's forecast, kids.

A few more weeks of this nonsense and I'll be one of those folks you see interviewed on the news saying, "This is it. I can't take another winter. I'm moving to Florida!"

Just kidding. I think.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM

476 posts, read 747,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Not sure about well water 'contamination'. This time of year the water is cold enough I personally wouldn't think about proliferation of bacteria, but that's just me.

One thing that can happen to your well water system following a power outage is:

You (I) space out and keep using your (my) household water system, dropping the water level in the well expansion tank - below the low pressure level that would normally cause the electrical switch to kick the pump on, recharging the tank with water. You (I) then have to manually reset the pressure switch.
I see; that explanation helps a lot! I think I need to start a list of "To Dos", based on different weather situations. I suppose it becomes second nature after a few seasons, though.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM

13 posts, read 26,639 times
This thread is actually really encouraging for me. I'm really looking forward to moving to Maine from Alaska next year.
Ice is like dirt for me now. The whole world is white for at least 7 straight months every year here. We haven't been much above -15 for weeks. The trees are ALL ice trees here ALL winter long. The snow in my yard averages 4 to 9 feet for about 6 months of every year. Our days are just over 4 hours long right now.
I personally kind of thrive on the miserable cold. It makes the wonderful summer warmth that much more enjoyable.
Sounds like I'll still get my share of winter
Stay warm and safe everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine